Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 01:22 PM

525 posts, read 454,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimuni View Post
- We're still reliant on Saudi Arabia, although a lot of us know it is not truly much on an ally.

- Legal Immigration, not refugees on welfare, granted they have A LOT of positive potential. We can help many people, and many of us want to, but others sometimes have to step up too. We can be generous, others sometimes need to be pressured into it.

- We're still gong to allow people in, just at a more controlled pace. We want to allow people in, but just in a way that benefits citizens and newcomers. Corrupt government is sad. Granted, if they served their citizns well, none would notice (like us here in the USA). But so many other nations don't, and it's truly one of the saddest things. I've wondered why certain regimes don't provide much, like it doesn't cost much to educate, or invest in infrastructure, etc. And it always comes back to human nature, power corrupts. There's no easy answer to it, heck corrupt government in Europe lead to the creation of a place like the USA. I bet we all agree that we wish there were a simple solution. Honestly, I personally don't see much of an easy alternative other than allowing people to come here. But, I understand why some people are more apprehensive to it. Both sides have valid arguments.

- Absolutely. Bush 41 and Bush 43 have wanted war. Obama has kept it going, unintentionally. We've been in this mess for decades. People like John McCain may be some of the biggest war mongers. Trump doesn't want to be an interventionist, except for maybe ISIS. We hope that he breaks this cycle of interventionism in other nations. I can't say I really know where this will go, but we'll see. I wish none of it ever happened. I know many of you feel the same. There are many in the government, the intelligence community, etc, who profit from keeping us in these wars. It's got to be stopped.

You make great points. There's no easy answer for a lot of this stuff. There's this divide between wanting to do the right thing, but also looking out for ourselves. I'm going to admit that some on my side are hysterical too. But again, both sides have valid points, however. My reason for so many comments in this thread was to defend one side.

Foreign policy is always a sticky subject. I'll tell you my biggest worry, though I wouldn't blame it entirely on Trump if it happened, because this has been brewing for decades too. I fear a new axis of China, North Korea, Russia, and Iran attacking us and starting another world war. It's easy for some to accuse Trump of antagonizing them. But they have been building up for decades, and waiting for us to be weak enough to not be able to resist. LOL, it sounds like a conspiracy theory, but it's something to keep in mind.
I agree with a lot of this, and I'm glad we could find a common ground, even though I'm very anti-Trump and you're pro-Trump. I was actually incredibly reluctant to vote for Hillary, because of her hawkish policies. Thank you for the polite, thoughtful response. It's refreshing to see, especially with all the hatred coming from both sides lately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 01:46 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellGuy View Post
There certainly is a wall. This has been reported in all the media.
Internet hoax. I've crossed the border there. There's no wall.

Mexico-Guatemala Border Wall

Old 02-23-2017, 02:37 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Only a moron would think those pictures of a purported Mexico-Guatemala border wall are real. That border is dense jungle, a rain forest, not desert.

That said, Mexico, like Canada, does take illegal immigration from its southern border seriously unlike the US.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:02 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
These people keep saying that all of these protestors are paid and the town halls are staged. Where is the proof? Show hard evidence instead of conspiracy theories for once.

Old 02-24-2017, 11:17 AM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellGuy View Post
OK ask yourself this: Why does Mexico have a wall at the Guatemala border, and why does the Mexican Immigration visit people who have overstayed their visa stays and order them to leave?

We are not the punching bag for the world. Go watch "Immigration gum balls" on YouTube. You can't seriously think that if 4-5 billion people wanted to move here we should let them?? To be nice??? At the expense of our own citizens starving and being murdered??? WE COME FIRST.
We've never cared about our own citizens. Immigrants are not relevant to that discussion. For years a lot of you guys never gave a you know what about our homeless and disenfranchised citizens saying that it is their own damn fault for the predicaments that they are in. And now all of a sudden you care about these people? Get out of here with that nonsense.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:37 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
These people keep saying that all of these protestors are paid and the town halls are staged. Where is the proof? Show hard evidence instead of conspiracy theories for once.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Your links dont point to an actual existing wall but potential thinking on the issue.
Any Alex Jones infowars news story is not to be taken seriously,a very overly sensationalized news source.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:15 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
There is no wall between Mexico and Guatemala. There might be a chain link fence in some parts of southern Mexico but it probably doesnt cover much distance or do much to stop anything.

The Northern border looks like this. l

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xeG4GYtkJQ

Old 02-26-2017, 08:24 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
The dividing line between Chiapas and Guatemala. No wall or any type of fence...
https://www.google.ca/maps/@15.69315...7i13312!8i6656

Old 02-26-2017, 04:29 PM

189 posts, read 195,674 times
I do fear that Canada could be the next Germany or Sweden and become the next migrant hot spot on the planet. Word of the Somalis that successfully crossed into Manitoba and claimed asylum has and will spread. Remember these terminologies: "Law of unintended consequences"...if it is indeed unintended. And the proverbial "can of worms".

Give 1 kid in a class of 20 in school free candy, then the other 19 will immediately want it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada