Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 06:43 AM

171 posts, read 188,668 times

Advertisements

Detroit isn't that dangerous. The majority of the shootings and crime happens mostly in areas a few miles away from the areas of Detroit outsiders visit anyway. Im from Detroit and I love the city and I love Windsor also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2017, 03:16 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Lol, I've been going on Detroit for decades and I have never been a victim of crime there, not once in 50 years! You really have no clue as to how dangerous the city is, and where most of the violent crimes happen. DT Detroit is no more dangerous than DT LA or DT Philly really, it's not some bombed out war zone devoid of commerce and pedestrians.
Statistically speaking those are all high crime cities. Even though nothing may have ever happened to you, you do increase the odds of being a victim of crime when going there. If you accidentally drive into the hood, it may not end well.
Quote:
Windsor is one of the safest cities in all of Canada, and yet we sit across the river from Detroit, go figure!
Obviously Canadian border patrol does a great job keeping out the bad elements from Detroit and the natural border helps too.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:18 PM

26 posts, read 25,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I know people from Windsor are the biggest Detroit boosters out there, even more so than people who actually live in Detroit. Still, it would seem awkward to me to move to a city where just across the river one of the most dangerous cities in the western world is located.

I love Detroit myself, its architecture and urban decay, its roughness, its history and de-industrialization, its opportunities for urban exploration, its current revival, and the suspense that anything can happen to you anytime but I can see how that is not for everybody.
Detroit has always had a high crime rate and it was actually way higher in the 70's and 80's I believe. Having lived in Windsor access to Detroit is one of the best things about living there. Who needs Yorkdale when you can go to Somerset mall or Pearson when you can fly for way cheaper from Metro, access to concerts, sports games etc. Yes, detroit has bad areas but also alot of wealthy areas in the suburbs and nearby cities like Ann Arbor. Crime in Detroit is a non issue since it's limited to areas of the city you won't be in.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:30 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaraa View Post
Detroit has always had a high crime rate and it was actually way higher in the 70's and 80's I believe. Having lived in Windsor access to Detroit is one of the best things about living there. Who needs Yorkdale when you can go to Somerset mall or Pearson when you can fly for way cheaper from Metro, access to concerts, sports games etc. Yes, detroit has bad areas but also alot of wealthy areas in the suburbs and nearby cities like Ann Arbor. Crime in Detroit is a non issue since it's limited to areas of the city you won't be in.
Which areas would you consider to be 'bad'? I would like to visit Detroit some day and I would like to know where the dangerous hoods with all the urban decay are. I know Delray, around 7th mile, and Highland Park for example are pretty bad but other than that I don't really know. Although generally, 'if it looks bad it probably is bad' applies. Of course I would go to Windsor too when I would be in the area.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:57 AM

9 posts, read 9,492 times
Anyone have information on public schools in the old Walkerville area or near Riverside Dr E. I know in South Windsor, Bellewood public school is great. Are they just as good in Walkerville? My child will be starting grade 1 in the fall. Any information would be of great help, Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada