Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 01:42 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times

Advertisements

I think it is because Canada has less of a buy buy buy culture.

What always shocks me is the lack of online shopping in Canada. But on some level it is a good thing. Life shouldn't be always troubled by what to buy.

And population density as mentioned explain most of it. By the same logic, if you compare the US with Chinese cities, Americans don't seem to have many stores either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 07:11 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextStage View Post
I think a lot of US retailers have a tendancy to over-build. I'm in a suburb of the SF Bay area. From home, I could drive to 3 different Macys stores in less than 15 minutes. In 45 minutes, I could probably drive to at least 7 of them. So they shut a lot of stores down, other stores take their place, other stores over-build then close. I can think of at least 5 major chains this has happened with locally in the past 15 or so years.

Lather, rinse, repeat.
As a Canadian it's always surprising just how much retail there is in the U.S. compared to here. Even smaller cities of 100,000 seem to have retail similar to Canadian cities three to four times bigger.

Just look at Syracuse NY (700 k metro?) with Ottawa ON (1.3 million metro), and the retail options are reasonably comparable. In spite of the fact that Ottawa is almost twice as big.

And let's not mention how the various fast food places often seem to be at every single exit on Interstates, even in the rural stretches.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:30 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,861 times
Low population, big landmass - big transportation costs, high taxes and cost of living. I think the selection we do have here is not a wide selection, but stores tend to stock quality over quantity. And people are willing to pay.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:10 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
As a Canadian it's always surprising just how much retail there is in the U.S. compared to here. Even smaller cities of 100,000 seem to have retail similar to Canadian cities three to four times bigger.

Just look at Syracuse NY (700 k metro?) with Ottawa ON (1.3 million metro), and the retail options are reasonably comparable. In spite of the fact that Ottawa is almost twice as big.

And let's not mention how the various fast food places often seem to be at every single exit on Interstates, even in the rural stretches.
Ottawa is mysterious city. It may has 1.3 million, but it looks and functions like a city with 400,000, from street vibrancy to retail to transit.

This is probably why few outside Canada even knows its existence.

Old 02-07-2017, 09:46 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Ottawa is mysterious city. It may has 1.3 million, but it looks and functions like a city with 400,000, from street vibrancy to retail to transit.

This is probably why few outside Canada even knows its existence.
True. Ottawa doesn't really feel that much larger when you're in it than does Victoria, and it's almost 4 times the size on paper.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:51 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

I don't find that the case crossing the border in to the US from here. Seattle has different shopping, but I have never thought they had more compared to Vancouver.

Downtown Vancouver is packed with retail. The suburbs have shopping streets and malls. Metrotown in Burnaby has over 350 stores, nothing that big in the Seattle area as far as I know. Westlake has only 130 stores and I believe that is the largest mall there??? I'm sure SAT will correct me

But malls alone are not the way to judge of course.

I can't help but wonder if someone unfamiliar with Canada will think from just reading this thread, will think Canada is hard done by when it comes to retail.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:59 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
but stores tend to stock quality over quantity. And people are willing to pay.
I do not see any particular difference between Canada and the US in the quality focus...if you want quality you can easily buy it in the US too...

Old 02-07-2017, 11:39 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I do not see any particular difference between Canada and the US in the quality focus...if you want quality you can easily buy it in the US too...
I think the point was you don't see as much massive discount/low end stuff in Canada. The infrastructure costs won't support it.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:57 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I think the point was you don't see as much massive discount/low end stuff in Canada. The infrastructure costs won't support it.
You mean in terms of products of typology of stores??

Yes the US has more tiers in retail outlets and restaurants offering.

Old 02-07-2017, 01:18 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
I don't know, maybe that's because it's Toronto but on the way from Niagara Falls to Toronto, I see just as many strip malls and shopping centres along the QEW as I would here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada