Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 02:16 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
This is why I keep saying speaking English makes one fat US, Canada, UK, Australia, even New Zealand, all on top of the list.
But isn't Singapore an exception? And what about Ireland, Fiji, Jamaica, and South Africa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 04:37 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
There are many Canadians who snow bird (180 days) in the US, especially Florida. We also snow bird and I have found that in speaking with friends from Canada that many buy clothing (especially for grandchildren) and shop at the Outlets where they say it is less expensive than Canada. Their shopping also relates to the value of the dollar at any time.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:58 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
The gap between Canada and the US is 5 % not 10%.

Australia and the UK are doing very slightly better than Canada.

29 Most Obese Countries In The World - WorldAtlas.com
I looked at a different source - I think it was from the CIA and it was 8 percent difference (but this was back in 2008) between Canada and the U.S and .5 percent in Canada's favour over Australia. 5 percent isn't a huge difference either but the 'very' slight that you say is probably statistically insignificant.

What I will say is that obesity kills and is more taxing on any H.C system so its in any nations interest to get the populace moving and promoting healthy eating habits from a young age. Same thing with parents making the right choices early on.

Old 03-15-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
There are many Canadians who snow bird (180 days) in the US, especially Florida. We also snow bird and I have found that in speaking with friends from Canada that many buy clothing (especially for grandchildren) and shop at the Outlets where they say it is less expensive than Canada. Their shopping also relates to the value of the dollar at any time.
Snowbirds have no clue where to shop for clothes. May be a bit of embellishment but probably not much lol. It also depends on where the snowbird is from. If they are from Regina or Moose Jaw, they will be spending more than Someone from Toronto or Montreal because of population base and competition. I'm pretty sure I can get a better deal for a pair of Puma shoes at the Dixie Outlet Mall than an outlet mall in Brandon Manitoba or Sydney Nova Scotia.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:02 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Snowbirds have no clue where to shop for clothes. May be a bit of embellishment but probably not much lol. It also depends on where the snowbird is from. If they are from Regina or Moose Jaw, they will be spending more than Someone from Toronto or Montreal because of population base and competition. I'm pretty sure I can get a better deal for a pair of Puma shoes at the Dixie Outlet Mall than an outlet mall in Brandon Manitoba or Sydney Nova Scotia.
My generation of snowbirds could show you closets full of Tommy Bahama and Greg Norman golf attire never crossing the border into Canada that will very likely get donated to some local church charity bazaar after our passing, with shoppers gazing at them saying stuff like; "did people actually go outdoors dressed like this?"

Old 03-15-2017, 12:13 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Square 1 in Miserysauga just surpassed Metropolis for the number 2 spot for largest in Canada due recently finished expansion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...alls_in_Canada

I chose Yorkdale over Sq 1 though because Yorkdale has a much better selection of high end stuff than Square 1 or Eaton Centre.
LOL Truth be told, I'm not a shopper...unless it's electronics or books!

Old 03-15-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
But isn't Singapore an exception? And what about Ireland, Fiji, Jamaica, and South Africa?
...and Mexico

Old 03-15-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I looked at a different source - I think it was from the CIA and it was 8 percent difference (but this was back in 2008) between Canada and the U.S and .5 percent in Canada's favour over Australia. 5 percent isn't a huge difference either but the 'very' slight that you say is probably statistically insignificant.

What I will say is that obesity kills and is more taxing on any H.C system so its in any nations interest to get the populace moving and promoting healthy eating habits from a young age. Same thing with parents making the right choices early on.
What about the difference in types of obesity. It's easy to say such and such have this percentage of obese people, but how many of those are morbidly obese?

Just in general, I seem to see many more people in the US who are MASSIVE.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
My generation of snowbirds could show you closets full of Tommy Bahama and Greg Norman golf attire never crossing the border into Canada that will very likely get donated to some local church charity bazaar after our passing, with shoppers gazing at them saying stuff like; "did people actually go outdoors dressed like this?"
Please don't tell me you wear Arnold Palmer Bru

Old 03-15-2017, 04:23 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,303,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Just in general, I seem to see many more people in the US who are MASSIVE.

Yes especially in the south.....food habits......I guess fried chicken and cooking with lard taste too good....

Vancouver definitely seems to be the city less affected by obesity in Canada.....the big percentage of Asian population may have something to do with it among other factors....

I definitely noticed the difference (at least to my eyes) between Vancouver and Calgary....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada