Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 04:34 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
What about the difference in types of obesity. It's easy to say such and such have this percentage of obese people, but how many of those are morbidly obese?

Just in general, I seem to see many more people in the US who are MASSIVE.
True.. I mean there could be a propensity for the obese in certain countries to be 100 or 200 pounds overweight vs 10 or 20..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 04:35 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Yes especially in the south.....food habits......I guess fried chicken and cooking with lard taste too good....

Vancouver definitely seems to be the city less affected by obesity in Canada.....the big percentage of Asian population may have something to do with it among other factors....

I definitely noticed the difference (at least to my eyes) between Vancouver and Calgary....
Well heroin/fentanil does restrict your appetite somewhat...

Old 03-15-2017, 05:30 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Yes especially in the south.....food habits......I guess fried chicken and cooking with lard taste too good....

Vancouver definitely seems to be the city less affected by obesity in Canada.....the big percentage of Asian population may have something to do with it among other factors....

I definitely noticed the difference (at least to my eyes) between Vancouver and Calgary....
There's a noticeable difference even here in Manitoba when you go to some of the small towns just across the border. There are many more massive people. Or, at least there was when I was last in the US which was 8 years ago.

What I notice around here is many more chubby young girls than there were when I was a teenager. Not terribly obese, but certainly more over weight than girls were when I was their age. There was only one over weight girl in my class all through school and looking around, I wonder if today anyone would notice her weight.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:41 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
There's a noticeable difference even here in Manitoba when you go to some of the small towns just across the border. There are many more massive people. Or, at least there was when I was last in the US which was 8 years ago.

What I notice around here is many more chubby young girls than there were when I was a teenager. Not terribly obese, but certainly more over weight than girls were when I was their age. There was only one over weight girl in my class all through school and looking around, I wonder if today anyone would notice her weight.

In the US there is also that "supersize" culture in portions in restaurants, especially on the low/mid end...noticeable difference compared to Canada.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:13 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
I've only been to Canada once but from what I remember the people are less materialistic than in the USA. Not sure how Canada does but I know the USA has massive debt at the individual level because people insist on living up to their chin in debt to get the biggest/ latest / greatest of everything.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I've only been to Canada once but from what I remember the people are less materialistic than in the USA. Not sure how Canada does but I know the USA has massive debt at the individual level because people insist on living up to their chin in debt to get the biggest/ latest / greatest of everything.
I know relative to the U.S - Canada has a lower public debt as a percentage of GDP
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...by_public_debt

On the flip - household debt to GDP levels are higher in Canada than the U.S
Household debt to GDP by country, around the world | TheGlobalEconomy.com
https://www.thestar.com/business/201...h-quarter.html

The main reason for this is due to the higher cost of Real Estate in Canada - particularly Vancouver and Toronto.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:09 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
I think it might be that the disposable income of Canadians is lower than the US coupled with much higher prices for the same goods the US enjoys. Canada is 1/10th the market of the US so less attractive to retail.

If you just compare the cost of a gallon of gas in Canada it is roughly 4X the price of fuel in the US.
Right now in Edmonton gas is about 90 cents per liter, there are 4 liters in a gallon.

Comparing prices of Apple ipads between the USA and Canada, Canada pays from 22% up to 42% more for the same Ipads for example.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I think it might be that the disposable income of Canadians is lower than the US coupled with much higher prices for the same goods the US enjoys. Canada is 1/10th the market of the US so less attractive to retail.

If you just compare the cost of a gallon of gas in Canada it is roughly 4X the price of fuel in the US.
Right now in Edmonton gas is about 90 cents per liter, there are 4 liters in a gallon.

Comparing prices of Apple ipads between the USA and Canada, Canada pays from 22% up to 42% more for the same Ipads for example.
I have never seen gas prices 4X the amount than in the U.S. Right now in Toronto its about a buck a liter while in the U.S the average price is about 2.5 bucks for a gallon.. The math is really simple from there. Gas, alcohol and cigs are definitely more expensive in Canada than the U.S. Now do we get more for our taxes in terms of investment in infrastructure, social programs etc - key question you'd want to ask yourself. I do know, road tolls are a lot more prevalent in the U.S and they can add up!

As for I-PADs i'll take your word for it but what idiot would spend 22-42 percent more for an IPAD. Just buy one in the States or just wait until its on sale. Keep in mind Apple is an American company, not everyone buys Apple products - There are plenty of other manufacturers to choose from.

I have compared laptop prices in the U.S and Canada - Bestbuy and the price difference is negligible.

As for incomes - Per capita income is higher in the U.S but median household income is higher in Canada than the U.S - this means there is less income inequality in Canadian homes than American. The top 15 percent in the U.S do better than the top 15 percent in Canada - as you get closer to the middle it becomes a different story. Most people are in the middle!

Last edited by fusion2; 03-31-2017 at 06:57 PM..

Old 03-31-2017, 06:50 PM

1,147 posts, read 718,292 times
Canadian cities have public transport. Driving everywhere is for Americans. No one outside America wants that life.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:39 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,579 times
According to the Big Mac index, which is used as a measure of price levels and purchasing power, Canada is cheaper than the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada