Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 01:37 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
This thread is really making me glad I'm not a shopper with the exception of shopping for books and electronics .
Me too. I do buy a lot of books, and lately from Amazon for my kindle. I have thousands of books and e-books are turning out to be a blessing after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 01:52 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,285,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Me too. I do buy a lot of books, and lately from Amazon for my kindle. I have thousands of books and e-books are turning out to be a blessing after all.
Why buy when you can just get unlimited free ones? Kindle Unlimited https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/hz...ds_eink_con_ku

Old 02-10-2017, 02:51 PM

1,230 posts, read 989,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Absolutely right....the US size can support much more "tiering" of market offering.
Than do away with shipping fees and import duty fees. You the run that voted xx in power to help set up NAFTA.

Now you are complaining NAFTA is not really free trade that to import American products is really costly.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:51 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Why buy when you can just get unlimited free ones? Kindle Unlimited https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/hz...ds_eink_con_ku
I have used that when I come across enough books with unlimited that I like. But I don't consistently like that many on Kindle Unlimited.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
People from Toronto like myself love shopping in the USA.... but when the exchange rates are better ... things are generally cheaper. I would blow serious cash ex fill up my car up with stuff from designer outlets. We would go on shoppung trips NYC....PA... NJ outlets .... but I only buy higher end stuff at huge mark downs. There are some people working in the outlet malls in Florida that actually remember me each time I go back lol. But now the exchange rate sucks so it is worth it.
It is sad that your cities lack those stores. And most of your cities are filled with nothing but tract housing, apartments and condos.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:06 PM

7,677 posts, read 5,524,010 times
Kindle Unlimited is not free.

For the price of a library card (if your local library even charges a fee), a huge selection of popular e-books and audiobooks can be downloaded for free from Overdrive.

https://www.overdrive.com

I actually prefer audiobooks and have downloaded many from Overdrive onto my mobile devices. My local library sets the maximum loan period to 3 weeks which is plenty of time to listen a book. I can have several audio books on loan at the same time. I can also reserve audiobooks which are currently on loan to others (there is usually a waiting list for new best sellers) and I will receive an email when the audiobook is available for download.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:09 PM

7,677 posts, read 5,524,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
It is sad that your cities lack those stores. And most of your cities are filled with nothing but tract housing, apartments and condos.
Can you name the cities in Canada that that are "filled with nothing but tract housing, apartments and condos"? I have never encountered any I have lived several years each in four different provinces.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Can you name the cities in Canada that that are "filled with nothing but tract housing, apartments and condos"? I have never encountered any I have lived several years each in four different provinces.
Out side of the CBD area post ww2 build really plain.

My take is lack of independent stores and small chain stores in Canada. Canada attracts lot of the big chain stores and big outlets. With some zoning laws here and there not allowing too many American store take over.

The US also has higher Main street, Market street, High street network filled with lot of independent stores.

Lot of clothing seem to be more concentrated in Malls and outlet stores in Canada than independent stores.

Well Retail and commercial seem to be more concentrated in areas than all over the place. When you want shop you drive to area and shop, than drive down street and hit 5 to 10 stores on the street and other 5 to 10 stores on other street.

May be if Canada did away with NAFTA and loosen up it's zoning laws you have more stores popping up all over the place.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:53 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
Out side of the CBD area post ww2 build really plain.

My take is lack of independent stores and small chain stores in Canada. Canada attracts lot of the big chain stores and big outlets. With some zoning laws here and there not allowing too many American store take over.

The US also has higher Main street, Market street, High street network filled with lot of independent stores.

Lot of clothing seem to be more concentrated in Malls and outlet stores in Canada than independent stores.

Well Retail and commercial seem to be more concentrated in areas than all over the place. When you want shop you drive to area and shop, than drive down street and hit 5 to 10 stores on the street and other 5 to 10 stores on other street.

May be if Canada did away with NAFTA and loosen up it's zoning laws you have more stores popping up all over the place.
You've just exposed yourself once again. Ignore this poster...they're back.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You've just exposed yourself once again. Ignore this poster...they're back.
Can some one translate this to English? I have no idea what Natnasci is talking about at all.

Also his grammar and punctuation is not proper English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada