Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 12:22 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,109 times

Advertisements

Francophone Quebecers would never vote a party like that as a government, not with the strong feelings of their own nationhood. Quebec has it so good inside Canada, if they were to secede and join the US....not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 01:32 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm going to say no thank you because the map of the U.S.A would look really weird if we had Quebec
Mmmm?

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...tate-join.html

Canada would have a big dangly thingy hanging down there if this were to happen.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:50 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Mmmm?

Canada would have a big dangly thingy hanging down there if this were to happen.
Canada already does have a dangly thing hanging down there, so one more dangly thing won't look more conspicuous. If anything it would kind of balance it out.

Now if we're talking about really conspicuously dangly I'd say not much beats that big dangly thing called Florida.

Old 02-08-2017, 02:10 PM

625 posts, read 1,389,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I was referring to Quebec only. Quebec is more concerned with French within its province than anywhere else. I think he'd be fine leaving Quebec as is with its current French laws.
There is no official language in the US, but states may declare official languages. Hawaii for example is officially bilingual; Spanish in New Mexico has some status although it had much more historically. If Puerto Rico ever becomes a state, it would be the first state to truly operate in a language other than English. So there would be no constitutional barrier to Quebec as a state au III ng French as an official language as far as I know.

French early on had status in Louisiana, but this was steadily eroded and eventually the public schools were use dagainst French. This appears to be the doings of the English majority in Louisiana as far as I know. But times have changed since the 1950s.

Of course, there would be no official bilingualism at the federal level. No hello-bonjoir at Service Canada. Much of the US govt is set up to accommodate Spanish speakers (e.g. with forms and no doubt services in Spanish).

If Quebec were a state though, I would guess they'd have a hard time justifying some of their language laws. Free speech is very strongly interpreted in the U.S., and I'd guess you'd have to make a very strong argument about the publci welfare to tell a business thier signs need to be in any official language.

Anyway, this sounds like another pipe dream or a joke to me. At least Calexit has some popular support (up to 1 in 3 it looks like)!

Old 02-08-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Canada already does have a dangly thing hanging down there, so one more dangly thing won't look more conspicuous. If anything it would kind of balance it out.

Now if we're talking about really conspicuously dangly I'd say not much beats that big dangly thing called Florida.

Oooh yeah! Now that would be a dangly alrighty.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:16 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Mmmm?

None of these secession fantasies are going to look pretty (literally)

Maybe if everywhere south of the St. Lawrence including Nova Scotia and New Brunswick joins the U.S and Alaska joins Canada it would look more good.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
None of these secession fantasies are going to look pretty (literally)

Maybe if everywhere south of the St. Lawrence including Nova Scotia and New Brunswick joins the U.S and Alaska joins Canada it would look more good.
Nope; let's just agree that unless there is far more serious discussion taking place, we'll just leave everything to future developments.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:22 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
So you think that because the media highlighted Trump's bizarre statements and pathological lying, it actually caused people to become crazy enough to vote for him? One would think that letting the man's own words speak for him would have been enough to deter anyone from voting for him. There has seldom been a person who has so clearly showed who he was. I agree, that something happened. I'm just not sure how showing Trump for who he is could have been foreseen to have caused people to vote for him.
Netwit. You're assuming that everyone has the cognitive ability to discern " crazy talk " .

The dumbing down of people helps people like Trump. Many who voted for him, got bored at his rallies and left. They have short attention spans.

All they wanted was someone who was saying what a lot of them were thinking. It didn't matter if he had no concrete plans to offer, just vague promises. The ban is an example of that. A vague plan, not well thought out as to the consequences and how to avoid them.

Some are waking up. Well sort of. They complain they didn't know he was the way he is.Odd, when the majority of people, including the majority of American could easily tell.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:51 PM

869 posts, read 1,124,854 times
The Canada forum should merge with the Politics&OC , its all the same anyhow....US politics and Trump Trump Trump ad infinitum.

It is spilling over other subforums also but it is more prevalent here.

Old 02-12-2017, 12:34 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,842 times
A fringe political movement can be used as a foot in the door when heads of state look at resources. Russia has a huge head start on tapping Arctic oil. Gaining some northern territory may be in the US military's agenda. Quebec has some oil and ng of its own, so it could be let in as slightly more than just a stepping stone to a bigger prize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada