U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:20 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,937,346 times

Advertisements

Canada actually has a lot of immigration and, per capita, boasts double the rate of the USA of immigrants receiving citizenship.

In fact, per capita, Canada grants the most number of citizenships in the world.

So we are used to immigration.

The USA has over 22 million illegal immigrants right now. They would have a very difficult time crossing into Canada.

I don't believe that more immigrants = more crime. Nigeria is one of the most crime-laden countries in the world - and there is no one beating down the door to immigrate to Nigeria.

Some interesting links:
http://www.immigrationcounters.com

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/im...w-citizenships

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/imm_new_cit_percap-immigration-new-citizenships-per-capita (broken link)

Last edited by sunshineleith; 01-07-2010 at 10:33 AM.. Reason: added some data urls
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 05:52 PM

355 posts, read 2,319,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I don't believe that more immigrants = more crime. Nigeria is one of the most crime-laden countries in the world - and there is no one beating down the door to immigrate to Nigeria.
Very good point.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:33 PM

12 posts, read 62,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Huh? That doesn't even make sense.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:03 AM

11,062 posts, read 27,385,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlee View Post
Why do you ask questions that way? You seem to think Canada is on a different planet and you are so much better than the rest of the world when in reality you have the same problems as all countries do; poverty, sickness, drunks, drug users, dope dealers, rapist, child molesters, thieves, I could go on and on. Being Canadian doesn't open any doors for anyone. Your society is based on everything that goes on in the United States. You wouldn't be Canada if the United States never came to be. You would be called Russia. I don't take pride in the U.S.A. because pride is just a; If things are going right then yes I have pride but when the chips are down and there is no silver lineing pride is not on my mind. So, I take pride in doing a good career move or building something but to say I have pride in my country that in its self has no soul or whatever is like giving myself for emptyness in return. Yes I will protect my land but I don't do it for pride, I do it for survival.
WTH russia was not involved in the american Revolution and through that both our countries came to exist
The American Revolution commenced a series of intellectual, political, and social shifts in early American society and government. The development of republicanism in the United States was particularly significant, including the installation of a representative government responsible to the will of the people, thus rejecting the plutocracies of the inherited aristocracies in Europe at the time. However, sharp political debates broke out over the level of democracy desirable in the new government, with a number of Founders fearing mob rule.
The basic issues of national governance were settled with the unanimous ratification in 1788 of the Constitution of the United States (written in 1787), which replaced the relatively weak Articles of Confederation (ratified 1781) that framed the first attempt at a national government. In contrast to the loose confederation, the Constitution established a relatively powerful federated government. The United States Bill of Rights (1791), comprising the first 10 constitutional amendments, quickly followed. It guaranteed many natural rights that were influential in justifying the revolution, attempting to balance a strong national government with relatively broad personal liberties. The American shift to republicanism and the gradually increasing democracy, caused an upheaval of the traditional social hierarchy, and created the ethic that has formed a core of political values in the United States.[1]

we went on a diffrent path
Confederation and Expansion

Confederation—the creation of a federal system—had been suggested early in the 19th century and had been urged by the Earl of Durham. It was not until 1864, however, that steps toward that end were actually taken. First, a coalition government in Canada, composed of both reformers and conservatives and headed by longtime foes Macdonald and Brown, was formed in June to work for a federal union. Then, in September, representatives of East and West Canada met with the leaders of the Maritime Provinces at Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. Finally, in Quebec in October, a conference of delegates from Canada, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Prince Edward Island adopted a set of resolutions outlining a plan uniting British North America. These resolutions were contained in the British North America Act, which was passed by the British parliament in 1867 and came into force on July 1 of that year.
The act created the Dominion of Canada, consisting of the four provinces of Ontario (formerly Canada West), Quebec (Canada East), New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia. (Newfoundland and Prince Edward Island chose not to join at this time.) The capital of the new country was at Ottawa in Ontario. One of the first acts of the new government, headed by Conservative leader Sir John A. Macdonald, was to seek annexation of the lands still held by the Hudson's Bay Company, which consisted of Rupert's Land and, to the west, the Northwestern Territory. Under pressure from the British government, the company surrendered its territorial rights in 1869, but kept its trading posts and privileges and some land. The lands annexed by the government were joined and called the Northwest Territories. then we moved west and settled the rest of canada

The Constitution Act, 1982, passed by the Canadian parliament and approved by the British parliament, gave Canada full sovereignty, removing the last vestige of British control. Quebec's provincial government, however, objected to the Constitution Act because it did not recognize Quebec as a “distinct society,” and did not sign it.

Last edited by GTOlover; 01-09-2010 at 09:30 AM..

Old 01-09-2010, 09:43 AM

9,336 posts, read 21,178,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCoast604 View Post
Huh? That doesn't even make sense.
Sunshine probably meant to immigrate FROM rather than TO [Nigeria]

Old 01-09-2010, 07:02 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,937,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Sunshine probably meant to immigrate FROM rather than TO [Nigeria]
LOL - what I meant was that crime in Nigeria is sky high, and it ISN'T because they are overloaded with immigrants.

Some people believe that immigrants = crime.

My point is that the crime in many countries (Nigeria, Russia and the Ukraine, for example) is very high despite the fact that they have very few immigrants, whereas many countries - like Sweden and Canada - which have a very high immigration rate do not have high crime rates.

I think the biggest contributor to crime is poverty. Not immigration. That is my opinion, I may be wrong
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada