Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 05:07 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,860,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I agree is propaganda and is not that special anyway....what is the American dream for the average Joe?? Owning your own house and having a good job?? Many countries allow their citizens to do that....

However, the US is still the #1 country in opportunities for highly motivated/highly skilled individuals. The depth and width of its economy, its scientific community and engineering R&D is still unparalleled in the world.
I would agree with you but that doesn't mean there aren't other places that offer a great QOL and opportunity for highly motivated and highly skilled individuals. Plus not every immigrant needs to be the next Elon Musk or Satya Nadella.. Countries need Electricians, Plumbers, Project Managers etc... A country like Canada call still well place itself to benefit highly from the Immigrants and Refugees it receives regardless of whether the U.S is still the biggest economy with the most R&D. If not for our immigration policies of the last 50 or so years I think our GDP would be about 35 percent less than what it is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 05:11 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I would agree with you but that doesn't mean there aren't other places that offer a great QOL and opportunity for highly motivated and highly skilled individuals.
I did not say that but the US is still unique because it offers that and potentially much more if you are capable. For all its fault the US is still a magnet for the best and the brightest in the world.
Canada, for example, often goes in the opposite direction deceiving immigrants and assessing them based on their qualifications then they land in the country and the reality is very different.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I did not say that but the US is still unique because it offers that and potentially much more if you are capable. For all its fault the US is still a magnet for the best and the brightest in the world.
I don't know if it is any longer 'unique' - it may offer more opportunities on the highest levels for sure but I think other countries are creating innovation hubs that can and do compete and I think you'll see that even more with time. You don't have to be the largest innovation hub in the world to have a strong and competitive innovation hub. Its not even so much countries as it is cities that are jumping on the bandwagon in terms of increasing R&D spending and VC funding. I think you will start seeing the fruits of this investment as time goes by. There is certainly nothing written in the stars that the U.S is the only country that can have innovation and technology hubs on our planet. You should be more open minded about these things because you might land a job in another country that not only pays you better for your skills, but also offers you a great opportunity.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I don't know if it is any longer 'unique' - it may offer more opportunities on the highest levels for sure but I think other countries are creating innovation hubs that can and do compete and I think you'll see that even more with time.
The US is still far ahead in RD and innovation, in general.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
The US is still far ahead in RD and innovation, in general.
I think once other countries get the ball rolling it will start to move faster so sure it is ahead but why should others just roll over. While the U.S embarks on the visionary path of making itself great again, the rest of the world isn't going to adopt a make ourselves third world again.... What we should do is simply invest, innovate and improve ourselves - the rest will take care of itself.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:08 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
Quote:
I agree is propaganda and is not that special anyway....what is the American dream for the average Joe?? Owning your own house and having a good job?? Many countries allow their citizens to do that....

However, the US is still the #1 country in opportunities for highly motivated/highly skilled individuals. The depth and width of its economy, its scientific community and engineering R&D is still unparalleled in the world.
Yes, and to heck with the poor, the middle-class or any sense of being ONE country anymore. The dream is dead for the majority of Americans.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Yes, and to heck with the poor, the middle-class or any sense of being ONE country anymore. The dream is dead for the majority of Americans.
Good point.. I like to have a balanced approach as well. While I think Canada should put more and more effort into innovation, R&D, VC funding for start ups etc - I also like the fact that we have less issues with income inequality as well.. You can't just focus on the top 20 percent and say the hell with everyone else sort of thing. I appreciate egalitarian spirit.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I think once other countries get the ball rolling it will start to move faster so sure it is ahead but why should others just roll over. While the U.S embarks on the visionary path of making itself great again, the rest of the world isn't going to adopt a make ourselves third world again.... What we should do is simply invest, innovate and improve ourselves - the rest will take care of itself.
I'm not saying "others should roll over"...but reality at the moment is what it is....

Old 03-07-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I also like the fact that we have less issues with income inequality as well.. You can't just focus on the top 20 percent and say the hell with everyone else sort of thing. I appreciate egalitarian spirit.
The US has an extraordinary number of incredibly wealthy people...inequality is largely a statistic reality....does not mean everybody else is starving.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
We would agree more if you keep the irrational rants out of the way.....the US middle class is not starving or desperate...at least not more than Canada........is it perfect?? Obviously not but is not in dire condition either...far from it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada