Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 01:42 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,643,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

The only thing that is keeping America strong economically right now is Silicon Valley, Wall Street, and the Energy Corridor. The energy corridor is because of favorable geology, Wall Street is Wall Street and we'll always have that, but Silicon Valley is the product of our very favorable green card system and H1B visas which we've been able to give out up until now. We've been able to lure the best technical talent in the world to the US for the tech industry and now with Trump we will no longer be able to.

What this will do is mark a very slow decline in the tech industry. Tech will boom for a while because there is still much intellectual capital here. As people retire and they can't replace the people with the best, other countries will slowly gain ground.

We've had the best scientists ever since we lured Einstein from Germany. It was a hallmark of the U.S. to pull the best and brightest from the the world over so we could be the technological innovators. I'm afraid with Trump's policies that is no longer the case.

We will become a skeleton economy based on finance (Wall St) and the energy industry. The finance industry will basically be a false economy as increasingly complex financial transactions hide the lack of productivity of our society. Right now entire states like Nevada have totally false economies like the run-up of real estate speculation. It's not real and the bubble bursts then inflates again. We saw that with the 2007-2009 bust.
Wall street is just moving money from A to B, so by itself it can't make an economy strong. It just enable rich people to get increasingly richer by not doing much and being taxed little.

However, with the hedgemoney of USD, the US has been sucking wealth from other countries, and that's where I have a problem with.

I really look forward to the day the world's reserve currency is not dominated by one country, because that gives this country a lot of advantage to bully others in a hidden way (although such previlege is protected by armies).

Trump won't be able to make American great again, nor much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 10:39 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,795,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
I like Canada a lot. I really do. I live in a border town so I've spent more than my fair share of time in your country.

I would say America is finally getting back on track the American dream is very much alive in it's resurgence.

If I couldn't live in America for whatever reason, I would choose Canada as my next choice over every other country in the world but right now there's nowhere I would rather be than America.

To my cousins in the North I wish you guys the best. A healthy prosperous Canada is good for america, and likewise for you.

One of these years we will best your team in the Olympics. At least we all liked team North America at the world cup eh
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Fair question

My renewed feelings of optimism certainly are tied to the recent political events of trump winning the presidency.

I'm a veteran, and I love America. My political beliefs are a blend of libertarian and conservative. I believe in smaller limited government that follows the constitution and leaves people alone.

For 8 years I was ridiculously called a racist because I disagreed with Obama's policies. To say the way the media has portrayed and covered trump compared to Obama being a joke is an understatement. Luckily most Americans haven't fallen into their Propoganda trap and have next to no confidence and don't believe the media's partisan lies anymore.

I honestly don't think the president directly has a big effect on the economy. However look at the stock market at the end of October compared to the 2nd week of November. There was a significant jump. Investors are buying into the optimism, lowered regulations etc..
Hmm. Which policies of Obama's did you hate? And what do you think it is about Canada that makes you "really like" it and spend a "fair share of your time" there -- and even want to live there -- if you couldn't live in the US?

I ask, because, with all due respect, there's an incongruence inherent in your statements. Not only is Canada's government more liberal than either Obama or Clinton, but it is a "prosperous" country largely BECAUSE of its social democratic (i.e. "liberal") policies, not in spite of them. It is a country that exemplifies the success that can easily be -- and often are -- the healthy outcomes of the very same liberal polices you say you hate.

I'm not trying to pick on you specifically, because you're not alone. I often hear/read conservatives similarly disparage Obama and the "libtar*s" while they extol the virtues of Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada