Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities have the best downtown in Canada?
Montreal 29 53.70%
Toronto 14 25.93%
Calgary 2 3.70%
vancouver 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 10:50 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Do you really say "vex" in English?
Sometimes. Mostly in literature these days. There's a British TV series called Vexed for instance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
People are very critical of Vancouver. I disagree that Toronto gets the most criticism.
They are.

As for nightlife. I used to be a night owl and have " partied " in Berlin, Amsterdam, London, NYC, Toronto, Montreal, Paris, and of course Vancouver.

It really depends on what you are looking for. If nightlife means to you theatre, ballet and opera, then Vancouver, even though has these things, isn't going to be a London. How can we? That said, for most people
( I have a couple of friends who travel frequently to NYC and London just for shows) Vancouver's offerings are enough in that regard. People living in London, aren't out every night or every weekend. Costs alone prohibit most people from that.

If your idea of nightlife is clubbing...then again, the bigger cities offer more. For WILD nights out, the USA seems more conservative. Even NYC.
Berlin, London and Amsterdam are much more intense. That said, some of the wildest nights out I've had have been here in Vancouver...also Toronto. I was better behaved in Montreal LOL.

Now, not so much. Nightlife is a quiet bar, or a nice meal out. Vancouver does fine in that regard.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:20 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
People are very critical of Vancouver. I disagree that Toronto gets the most criticism.

Criticism of Vancouver, at least on this forum, is not directed at the city itself which is fine for what it is but to the people that make it to be what is not, some sort of perfect paradise on earth pretty much on every front....if Vancouver were to be correctly compared to, let's say, to Portland, nobody would say anything.

Toronto discussions are generally "correctly calibrated" to what the city really is, this is why you read less criticism...no Torontonian (or at least very few) would compare their city to NYC for example..........on the other side, absurd comparisons between Vancouver and San Francisco abound......

Vancouver nightlife is not any worse generally than a comparably sized North American city (or even North European city) with similar economic weight, in a similar climate.

Warmer locales tend to be more "naturally oriented" towards nightlife, at least certain type of nightlife, staying out until late walking, open cafe and restaurant culture, etc......but that is not Vancouver fault.

Last edited by saturno_v; 04-19-2017 at 01:37 PM..

Old 04-19-2017, 12:35 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Do you really say "vex" in English?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Sometimes. Mostly in literature these days. There's a British TV series called Vexed for instance.
Used often in the West Indies as well. Most of the English speaking Islands use it as the main way to say angry.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
They are.

As for nightlife. I used to be a night owl and have " partied " in Berlin, Amsterdam, London, NYC, Toronto, Montreal, Paris, and of course Vancouver.

It really depends on what you are looking for. If nightlife means to you theatre, ballet and opera, then Vancouver, even though has these things, isn't going to be a London. How can we? That said, for most people
( I have a couple of friends who travel frequently to NYC and London just for shows) Vancouver's offerings are enough in that regard. People living in London, aren't out every night or every weekend. Costs alone prohibit most people from that.

If your idea of nightlife is clubbing...then again, the bigger cities offer more. For WILD nights out, the USA seems more conservative. Even NYC.
Berlin, London and Amsterdam are much more intense. That said, some of the wildest nights out I've had have been here in Vancouver...also Toronto. I was better behaved in Montreal LOL.

Now, not so much. Nightlife is a quiet bar, or a nice meal out. Vancouver does fine in that regard.
It would be silly to expect anywhere to be NYC and London in that regard or even a place like Vienna or Paris. But I have always found it strange that the fine arts like theatre, ballet, opera and symphony are not something Vancouver is known for, with the amount of wealth floating around the city. Toronto did a wonderful job investing in the high culture same with other cities around the US and Canada like Houston, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Boston, Philadelphia, Montreal, etc...

Why is this the case?

Old 04-19-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
It would be silly to expect anywhere to be NYC and London in that regard or even a place like Vienna or Paris. But I have always found it strange that the fine arts like theatre, ballet, opera and symphony are not something Vancouver is known for, with the amount of wealth floating around the city. Toronto did a wonderful job investing in the high culture same with other cities around the US and Canada like Houston, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Boston, Philadelphia, Montreal, etc...

Why is this the case?
I'm not on the " inside " to really know the status of our ballet and opera. I do know we have one of the world's best Chamber Choirs and local theatre is vibrant and good.

As for investing in the arts, people do, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean? Are you talking about venues? The Chan Centre was a gift for example.

About Us - Chan Centre

AS for being known, I'm not familiar with Houston, Minneapolis, or Cleveland's " scene ". The others more so.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I'm not on the " inside " to really know the status of our ballet and opera. I do know we have one of the world's best Chamber Choirs and local theatre is vibrant and good.

As for investing in the arts, people do, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean? Are you talking about venues? The Chan Centre was a gift for example.

About Us - Chan Centre

AS for being known, I'm not familiar with Houston, Minneapolis, or Cleveland's " scene ". The others more so.
It could very well be a case of perception over reality, which is why I asked since you live there and many of us do not. But the perception is that Vancouver is not a place to live if you enjoy the arts as a large part of your life.

You read about how Houston now has the second largest concentration of theatre seats or how they have resident and professional programs in all the major performing art disciplines. You read about how Minneapolis has the highest concentration of theatre seats per capita in the country. Now personally I have no idea how this translates to the quality of the arts, but I am sure it does not hurt.

So maybe there are similar investments going on in Vancouver, but I find it strange that no one seems to write about it. Also that from the residents of the city I know they seem to put going to the theatre or symphony or opera at the top of their list when visiting other cities, since the perception is that the quality is not as high at home.

I just found it interesting, because once money flows into a city one of the first investments seems to always end up in the arts.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:41 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
But the perception is that Vancouver is not a place to live if you enjoy the arts as a large part of your life.
Which is true but, again, nothing to bash Vancouver about.....it does just average, in line for a North American city of its size and similar economic clout.

Again, the problem is with people trying to make it what is not....when someone begin to compare its arts and entertainment scene with, let's say, San Francisco, usually the criticism and laughing start......

Last edited by saturno_v; 04-19-2017 at 02:03 PM..

Old 04-19-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
It could very well be a case of perception over reality, which is why I asked since you live there and many of us do not. But the perception is that Vancouver is not a place to live if you enjoy the arts as a large part of your life.

You read about how Houston now has the second largest concentration of theatre seats or how they have resident and professional programs in all the major performing art disciplines. You read about how Minneapolis has the highest concentration of theatre seats per capita in the country. Now personally I have no idea how this translates to the quality of the arts, but I am sure it does not hurt.

So maybe there are similar investments going on in Vancouver, but I find it strange that no one seems to write about it. Also that from the residents of the city I know they seem to put going to the theatre or symphony or opera at the top of their list when visiting other cities, since the perception is that the quality is not as high at home.

I just found it interesting, because once money flows into a city one of the first investments seems to always end up in the arts.
Part of it may be perception, but I'd be surprised if someone moved here for that.

Hmmm. Number of theatre seats...not sure, as you point out, that equates to quality, or even attendance.

People don't necessarily come to Vancouver for the arts. Tourists do seem to enjoy different things like Bard on the Beach while they are here if anything. We aren't a museum town either, although the MOA gets great reviews from people from all over. Most come for the scenery, skiing, whale watching, boating without having to travel far from their hotel.

https://bardonthebeach.org

When Vancouverites travel, yes they will indulge in plays etc in other cities, not always because it's better, but because there is much more to choose from.

Still, I'd wager for most people, Opera, Ballet and even plays are not part of their life, and bragging about their well know symphony, is just that since they probably have never been.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:00 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
hahaha. I just posted it to vex you
Why - i'm a nice guy lol - oh because I didn't show enough love for Pudong ;P

I always look at these lists as a grain of salt anyway and when I see Gothenburg or Utrecht having higher scores for nightlife than Mexico City and Bangkok or Vancouver having a higher score than Toronto for Festivals - for freaking festivals you'd have to be living in an alternate universe to think Vancouver beats T.O for festivals.... I instantly tuned off this list...

Last edited by fusion2; 04-19-2017 at 05:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada