Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities have the best downtown in Canada?
Montreal 29 53.70%
Toronto 14 25.93%
Calgary 2 3.70%
vancouver 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 05:21 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,230,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You are basically making excuses for Portland...for their airport, for the lack of any luxury INTERNATIONAL hotels. Remember, we are discussing which city is more international, and more internationally known.

Your take is surprisingly provincial. Best in the US etc, does NOT mean best in the world. To say that Portland Ore, is as well known, is as internationally recognized as Vancouver B.C. is ludicrous.

It's a nice town, that Americans love because it tries to be funkier than it is, and has done some nice things in they downtown and transit isn't a dirty word. It's quite bohemian in many ways. It lacks the shine and urbanity that Vancouver has in spades.

That is all I'm going to say on the subject. Portland isn't suppose to even be part of this discussion.

I'm not making any excuses, you are twisting facts.

The Hilton, for example, last time I checked, it is an international chain.

Second, granted that Vancouver cuisine does not register anywhere on world stage....in that Washington Post series Portland food scene was compared to Chicago, NYC, San Francisco...I guess these are not at Vancouver level either huh??

Finally, I even posted the total tourism figures in 2016...Van is barely ahead of Portland in overnight visitor.

FYI...Charleston is fairly small and its airport is even smaller than Portland.....as I typing from my phone sitting on a cafe, is full of international tourists and it is well known outside the US.....so....

Vancouver may well me marginally more well known internationally than Portland but any notion of "2-3 class above" is laughable.

Last edited by saturno_v; 04-21-2017 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 11:00 PM
BMI

7,456 posts, read 7,207,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I'm not making any excuses, you are twisting facts.

The Hilton, for example, last time I checked, it is an international chain.

Second, granted that Vancouver cuisine does not register anywhere on world stage....in that Washington Post series Portland food scene was compared to Chicago, NYC, San Francisco...I guess these are not at Vancouver level either huh??

Finally, I even posted the total tourism figures in 2016...Van is barely ahead of Portland in overnight visitor.

FYI...Charleston is fairly small and its airport is even smaller than Portland.....as I typing from my phone sitting on a cafe, is full of international tourists and it is well known outside the US.....so....

Vancouver may well me marginally more well known internationally than Portland but any notion of "2-3 class above" is laughable.
Vancouver is much better known internationally than Portland....
Vancouver is just slightly less known than Seattle.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:54 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,621,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Vancouver is much better known internationally than Portland....
Vancouver is just slightly less known than Seattle.
I dont agree Vancouver is less well known than Seattle....

Old 04-22-2017, 02:35 AM

1,147 posts, read 711,011 times
Quote:
Their food isn't bad, it's just that they have a lot more of bad food. You can find excellent quality etc, if you pay attention to what you are buying. That said, driving down the I5 from Vancouver to California the restaurant choices along the way are poor.

It's not like Canada, doesn't have bad food, or the UK, or Australia...heck I've had bad food even in France.

Canadians are not always ( we do sometimes ) comparing ourselves to Americans. The world does, and we respond.

As for the US being done...well time will tell. They certainly are only number one in military might and incarceration levels. Then there is this take

https://theintellectualist.co/study-...tion-citizens/
Great food can be found there, but the quality on average is relatively poor.

They often pile together so many random pieces of food and sweats that don't work well together. It's just sloppy.

Last edited by Fish & Chips; 04-22-2017 at 02:45 AM..

Old 04-22-2017, 06:18 AM
BMI

7,456 posts, read 7,207,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I dont agree Vancouver is less well known than Seattle....
You're probably right but I didn't want to get any of those US posters upset

A lot of them think people around the world know about all their "big" cities....
when in reality they know about mostly New York ....Los Angeles....maybe Chicago or SFO
then it drops off sharply....Seattle doesn't really register....never mind Portland
Even Americans will ask "which one?" ....Oregon or Maine

Old 04-22-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:

A lot of them think people around the world know about all their "big" cities....
when in reality they know about mostly New York ....Los Angeles....maybe Chicago or SFO
then it drops off sharply....Seattle doesn't really register....never mind Portland
Very few people are aware of the existence of Portland outside the US/West Canada. Very few. Probably fewer than 2 out of 100. Portland, OR is probably as well-known as Nantes, France.

Seattle's name is relatively well known because of a few large companies such as Microsoft, although MS is not even located in Seattle. In Asia for example, most people know Seattle because of the stupid movie "Sleepless in Seattle", but very few people actually know a damn thing about the city whatsoever.

The only American cities that are widely known world wide is NYC, LA, SF. That's it. People don't know or care about Boston, Seattle, Chicago or even Washington DC whatsoever.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:14 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,296,347 times
Quote:

The only American cities that are widely known world wide is NYC, LA, SF. That's it..
I would add Miami to that list.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:44 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,334,343 times
Quote:
Very few people are aware of the existence of Portland outside the US/West Canada. Very few. Probably fewer than 2 out of 100. Portland, OR is probably as well-known as Nantes, France.

Seattle's name is relatively well known because of a few large companies such as Microsoft, although MS is not even located in Seattle. In Asia for example, most people know Seattle because of the stupid movie "Sleepless in Seattle", but very few people actually know a damn thing about the city whatsoever.

The only American cities that are widely known world wide is NYC, LA, SF. That's it. People don't know or care about Boston, Seattle, Chicago or even Washington DC whatsoever.
I agree. The idea that Europeans know Portland, Ore...well because of NIKE, is one of the ODDEST thinks I've heard, or that their food scene is internationally recognized. Sats glowing reports are all HOME BORN AMERICAN reviews.

Saturno should know better, he claims to be from Europe, but believes Hilton, a DOMESTIC US chain qualifies as part of the conversation of International Chain hotels, when I'm sure he knows in the context of this conversation, International, relates to foreign hotels having an interest in your city. It's not an International/Foreign hotel chain when Hilton opens a hotel in Portland, but a domestic one.

Last edited by Natnasci; 04-22-2017 at 01:53 PM..

Old 04-22-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I agree. The idea that Europeans know Portland, Ore...well because of NIKE, is one of the ODDEST thinks I've heard.

Saturno should know better, he claims to be from Europe.
I didn't know Nike is from Portland OR until you pointed out today.

Vancouver is pretty much as well known as San Francisco. Somewhat below NYC and LA, but probably better known than Toronto.

Very interestingly, very few people outside Canada can point out even very roughly where the hell Toronto is located. Many think it is on the "east coast". I myself didn't know anything about Toronto before actually going there exactly 9 years ago. I actually googled quite a bit before that (google was not banned back then).

Old 04-22-2017, 02:01 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,334,343 times
Quote:

Certain Americans love Portland Ore, because they believe it tries to buck the trend of US cities in the past, by creating a nicer downtown, and supporting transit.

I've passed through scores of times in my life, and have stayed several times. MEH. I find some of the people there try too hard to be " weird ". Living the cliche.

That said, downtown is pleasant. Still not busy after the work day. Their tallest building is 166.4 metres. The Wells Fargo building. It stands out because there are so few real skyscrapers.

Vancouver tallest is only, 200 metres, with more being built, but the city is full of them. Our condo towers are taller and much more plentiful than anything in Portland.

In fact

"Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada has more high-rise buildings per capita than most North American metropolitan centres with populations exceeding 1,000,000.[citation needed] Vancouver's population density is the 4th-highest in North America and the city has more residential high-rises per capita than any other city on the continent.[dead link][1]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_in_Vancouver

That concentration gives Vancouver a much different feel and vibe than sleepy Portland. Of course craft brew fans love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada