Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these cities have the best downtown in Canada?
Montreal 29 53.70%
Toronto 14 25.93%
Calgary 2 3.70%
vancouver 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 04:30 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish & Chips View Post
Nike hasn't made Portland famous outside North America.

I'm not from North America and I've never heard Portland mentioned during a discussion about the brand here. While this is anecdotal evidence, I'm confident that there are others who could share the same anecdote.

The gap between Nike's global famousness and Portland's is huge.
Correct.

Nike headquarters might as well be in Kalamazoo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 07:59 AM

1,147 posts, read 717,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Correct.

Nike headquarters might as well be in Kalamazoo
Even Seattle’s corporations struggle to strengthen the city’s profile.

It's somewhat common for non-Americans to associate Starbucks with the Hollywood scene instead. That's likely because there's often photographs circulating of celebrities holding a Starbucks beverage in their hand.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:21 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Nike hasn't made Portland famous outside North America.

I'm not from North America and I've never heard Portland mentioned during a discussion about the brand here. While this is anecdotal evidence, I'm confident that there are others who could share the same anecdote.

The gap between Nike's global famousness and Portland's is huge.
I did not say that Portland was made famous by Nike outside of North America....simply that Vancouver is not "in another league" compared to Portland in terms of international fame.

By the way there are quite few people in Europe that know that Nike is from Portland.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:23 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Even Seattle’s corporations struggle to strengthen the city’s profile.

It's somewhat common for non-Americans to associate Starbucks with the Hollywood scene instead. That's likely because there's often photographs circulating of celebrities holding a Starbucks beverage in their hand.

Struggle?? What do you talking about?? Seattle is well known outside of North America and only the most misinformed don't know that Starbucks or Microsoft or Amazon do not come from the area.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:32 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Struggle?? What do you talking about?? Seattle is well known outside of North America and only the most misinformed don't know that Starbucks or Microsoft or Amazon do not come from the area.
Starbucks and Microsoft ....yes.

Amazon ....I'd say no.

Old 04-30-2017, 12:45 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I did not say that Portland was made famous by Nike outside of North America....simply that Vancouver is not "in another league" compared to Portland in terms of international fame.

By the way there are quite few people in Europe that know that Nike is from Portland.
Ya, you kinda did. Even your response about is talking out both sides of your mouth.

In response to me posting

" People don't know Portland, Ore around the world, even in Eastern Canada that much. They may only know it from Portlandia. I doubt many Europeans know it, or that there is another Portland in Maine."

You posted

".........ever heard of Nike?? Or Columbia Sportswear?? Oregon High Tech cluster?? Portland is historically one of the birthplaces of the West Coast counterculture and liberal movement."

Anyone who has been to Portland and Vancouver knows how different they are. Vancouver feels like a dense vibrant international city, Portland, a quiet, somewhat pleasant, but not outstanding, town.

To argue that people know Portland more than Vancouver simply isn't true worldwide. Your desperation has is obvious when you try and argue that Vancouver couldn't be known for having a World's Fair and an Olympics because other cities have them, is beyond mind boggling.

As said people don't usually associate most brands with a city. FLICKR, developed here and then sold. Do most associate than with Vancouver?

Lu Lu Lemon?

It's a silly game.

Last edited by Natnasci; 04-30-2017 at 01:16 PM..

Old 04-30-2017, 03:09 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times
Can we like... move beyond the never ending Portland discussions?

Portland's great but it's a second tier city overshadowed by much more prominent ones along the west coast. Plus this thread is about Canadian cities.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:18 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
I think we make a lot of assumptions about how 'iconic' or well known our cities are in most of the world. Truth is most people don't associate goods or services that much with a place and connect the two strongly. They may know for example that Starbucks is American but it probably ends about there for most people in the world. To expect them to associate Starbucks with a place that is responsible for their Windows operating system or the Space Needle is probably a huge stretch...

Old 04-30-2017, 03:47 PM

909 posts, read 1,152,600 times
To the people who I have talked to outside of Canada, most of them knew about Toronto and then secondly Vancouver and then Montreal. None of the people knew what Calgary was and when I told them it had more than 1 million people living there they were shocked. I'm sure most people don't even know about Ottawa even though it's the nation's capital.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:28 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Can we like... move beyond the never ending Portland discussions?

Portland's great but it's a second tier city overshadowed by much more prominent ones along the west coast. Plus this thread is about Canadian cities.
Yes please and thank you. I really shouldn't get sucked into Sat's rabid anti-Vancouver BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada