Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 10:54 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times

Advertisements

Victoria, or the "Left Coast" of B.C. as mentioned above (Gulf Islands, Tofino, Nelson).

Halifax (a magnet for left- or other alt-minded folks from around the Maritime provinces, far more liberal than other places in the region).

Edmonton draws the most hippies in Alberta, but I don't anything about the local scene beyond that.

Rural Quebec, in the English-speaking communities, has a few (Chelsea, near Gatineau; Sherbrooke).

Canada doesn't have a huge amount of pure hippie communities in the numbers that the U.S. does... our population is a lot smaller, so we don't have a lot of Austins or Gainsvilles, etc., around the country. University towns are the best bet (Kingston, Kitchener in Ontario), but they also have large numbers of mainstream students...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 10:14 PM

193 posts, read 216,985 times
Default Vancouver could fit the bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Don't know why you rule out Vancouver for being too big. It has the same population as Portland or Austin, and it probably suits you the best. Vancouver is not big.

Sorry, Canada only have these three cities. You can forget others. They are either too boring or too fre8king cold, or both.

Vancouver will be a great city for me if it had twice the population in the city proper and a lot more jobs.
Actually, Vancouver could fit the bill. But i heard that it's a really expensive place to live, which could conflict with a bohemian lifestyle. and also it's more cosmopolitan than Austin, which could conflict with having a quirky, idiosyncratic way of doing things. but they both share this sort of common West Coast hippie culture. camping, outdoors, 420, psychedelic drugs, environmental consciousness etc.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:29 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,724,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesse View Post
Actually, Vancouver could fit the bill. But i heard that it's a really expensive place to live, which could conflict with a bohemian lifestyle. and also it's more cosmopolitan than Austin, which could conflict with having a quirky, idiosyncratic way of doing things. but they both share this sort of common West Coast hippie culture. camping, outdoors, 420, psychedelic drugs, environmental consciousness etc.
Vancouver is expensive ONLY IF you set you mind on purchasing a single family home close to the city.

If you rent, it's cheaper than Austin. Does Bohemian life involves being a home owner? That's as middle class and non-bohemian as it gets.

Vancouver being super expensive is sort of an urban legend, at least not as much as people make it out to be. It is probably the same price range as Toronto and cheaper than seattle. However, affordability is a different issues, because people tend to make less money in Vancouver.

Cost of living stats (many people don't think it is useful but I think it is more or less accurate) show that while cost of living in Austin is in general 9% higher than Vancouver, Austin's local purchase power is 31% higher than Vancouver, indicating the local wage difference.

But it is very hard to beat affordability of Texas cities to start with. In return, you get the ocean, the forest, the lifestyle etc etc.

As to cosmopolitan, Vancouver obviously wins, but it is not as international as you might think. the metro area has 40% white, 36% Asians, 14% Indians/Pakistanis, and 10% for the rest. It is far from the NYC/Los Angles/Toronto kind of diversity. You may or may not like it, I don't know. One thing I know is than East and south Asians (mainly Chinese and Indians) are definitely NOT bohemian. They love money and properties and don't give a damn about art.

If you are concerned with the cost, then choose a nearby city within driving distance from Vancouver. You will be surprised how much cheaper they are. But they are not Vancouver, just like Oakland is not San Francisco.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesse View Post
I used to live in Austin, TX and now I live in Montreal but i feel like somehow Montreal just doesn't cut it for me. While, Montreal is amazing as a big city, it's relatively too busy, too fast-paced and the social interaction not as friendly.
IMO Montreal has it all, but if you want a slower pace of life move out to Hudson or up to Morin Heights.
If moving out of Quebec is a must do some research on Halifax.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:09 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,403,667 times
I would say Halifax would be a good choice, but stay on the peninsula.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:33 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Based on what the OP is saying, I would strongly venture that they've never lived in any of those cities. Austin doesn't even come close to checking the boxes on the laundry list, and Marfa...

I get it, it's idealized, but a hippy heaven with amenities just doesn't exist, as you need actual people who work to have a functioning city.

If you're Canadian, go to Nelson or Saltspring Island, and that's about as good as you're going to get.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:07 AM

193 posts, read 216,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Based on what the OP is saying, I would strongly venture that they've never lived in any of those cities. Austin doesn't even come close to checking the boxes on the laundry list, and Marfa...

I get it, it's idealized, but a hippy heaven with amenities just doesn't exist, as you need actual people who work to have a functioning city.

If you're Canadian, go to Nelson or Saltspring Island, and that's about as good as you're going to get.
i've lived in Austin for 5 years, visited Portland many times. Yes, the hippie vibe is very diluted but it's still there. I would say Austin is not a hippie city anymore. but rather a city whose culture is heavily affected by the 60's hippie culture.

in Portland, the funky vibe is stronger. all the other cities i've mentioned, i'm just speculating after some research.

I'm a brand new Canadian and I don't have the rights to live in America, so yes probably BC is where I'll end up. any candidates in Ontario, though?

Old 04-10-2017, 11:28 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
You may as well just skip all the rest of the country, for everything you're looking for go straight to here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson,_British_Columbia

Old 04-10-2017, 12:39 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Not sure what current hippy lifestyle is all about but this link gives Canadas ideal locations for hippy culture=https://www.hippy.com/havens3.htm#canada

Old 04-10-2017, 12:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post

Those would be my choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada