Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 01:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Thanks. I've never seen it before.

Me either...Manchester United would be more recognizable to me...but it's like getting a new car. Once you've got one, you see that model everywhere...so I'll see if this jersey gets my attention....or if anyone here out west wears them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 01:07 PM

909 posts, read 1,152,413 times
I have been to over 10 countries in the world and have seen many places, and you're saying I am out of tune just because I don't care or know about American stuff like what NC is? Maybe I don't want to know because many Americans (and some Canadians apperently according to this thread) think it's mandatory for Canadians to know this sruff and we should have knowlege and care about American stuff. That is incorrect, we are not similar countries. In fact the two countries are more far apart than Canada and the UK in my opinion. Which is why I know a lot about British parliment and the cities in the UK and not the U.S.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:35 PM

26,871 posts, read 37,990,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I have been to over 10 countries in the world and have seen many places, and you're saying I am out of tune just because I don't care or know about American stuff like what NC is? Maybe I don't want to know because many Americans (and some Canadians apperently according to this thread) think it's mandatory for Canadians to know this sruff and we should have knowlege and care about American stuff. That is incorrect, we are not similar countries. In fact the two countries are more far apart than Canada and the UK in my opinion. Which is why I know a lot about British parliment and the cities in the UK and not the U.S.
I've lived in 5 Canadian provinces and have relatives and friends that live in all of them and more. I'd venture to say that most Canadians have a vague awareness of the abbreviations for most U.S. states, and wouldn't be baffled by the two letters at the end of Charlotte, NC, Chicago, IL or Louisville, KY.

I also suspect that you might be going out of your way to ignore U.S. stuff. As some Canadians do it is true. (If you're not looking to embrace the U.S. influence, it can get a bit much in Canada sometimes, IMO.)

Old 04-26-2017, 01:42 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,283,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've never seen this and don't even know what it is...I'll read further in the thread and hopefully someone would tell me.

I'm kind of surprised you are assuming that this is a common and recognizable. I've fairly well travelled and pay attention to world events, but again, if I've seen it, I haven't seen it often enough to know what it is.
It probably means you do not follow soccer, not even casually. Which is perfectly fine, not everyone has to like it.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
No I do not. And neither do my close friends and family. Why should I need to know what NC stands for? I'm quite surprised you guys know it, but I think it has to do more with members on this forum (well travelled people who visit the U.S. often) than average Canadians.

In response to your other posts (and the OPs) I think you guys are the ones who are out of tune in things. We do not have American stuff constantly in our faces here. We do not care about America to know the acronyms of states. It is NOT common knowlege, it seems you people have some need to make America the centre of the universe and make it more important than it is to the average Canadian, maybe that's why you know this much. Ask any average Canadian and I'm sure they wouldn't know. Not sure why you guys think the U.S. ia that important for you to know this stuff; either way don't blame us Canadians for not giving a care or knowing every petty detail about your country.

Given your argument, are you saying Canadians are expected to know farenheit too? Hey it's the measurement of the country below us which is important. I'm guessing you will say no. NOBODY I met knows how to use farenheit. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
I don't think Canadians should be *expected* to know anything. I am just disbelieving when people claim that nobody in Canada knows what "NC" stands for when it's displayed on a college-style sweatshirt or cap.

I also don't believe that most Canadians are unaware that NH stands for New Hampshire and NJ stands for New Jersey, for example.

Old 04-26-2017, 01:51 PM

909 posts, read 1,152,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I also don't believe that most Canadians are unaware that NH stands for New Hampshire and NJ stands for New Jersey.
Personally I believe that most Canadians are unaware of that. I can name probably 20 states off the top of my head but I would not know the abbreviations of them.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Personally I believe that most Canadians are unaware of that. I can name probably 20 states off the top of my head but I would not know the abbreviations of them.
I guess I hold people to a higher standard.

I also consider it ignorant for Americans to not know (well, those who don't) that Canada has fairly large cities and that it's not cold and snowy all year-round. So there you go.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:19 PM

261 posts, read 275,566 times
Quote:
This is harsh but I won't deny that this sentiment exists among some people.
That's certainly possible, but speaking as a Quebecer, I'm quite aware that many progressive, "enlightened" North Americans (mostly Canadians, but certainly some liberal Americans as well) think that I come from a racist ****hole. They don't know anything about me, or about where I come from, but they've heard that it is so and they don't question it.

And I'm also quite aware that the same people have a very similar stereotype about the American South. Now, given that I don't actually think Quebec is a racist ****hole, what am I going to think about, say, Alabama? The answer is, that they are also unfairly maligned, just like us.

I've never been to the American South, but I do have a feeling of brotherhood with them based on this. We're known as the "bad" part of our respective countries, but really, we aren't. And I would very much like to visit one day.

But I'll agree with you, Acajack. This sentiment exists, and it's not only Quebecers, it's also other Canadians and Americans who aren't from the South.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
That's certainly possible, but speaking as a Quebecer, I'm quite aware that many progressive, "enlightened" North Americans (mostly Canadians, but certainly some liberal Americans as well) think that I come from a racist ****hole. They don't know anything about me, or about where I come from, but they've heard that it is so and they don't question it.

And I'm also quite aware that the same people have a very similar stereotype about the American South. Now, given that I don't actually think Quebec is a racist ****hole, what am I going to think about, say, Alabama? The answer is, that they are also unfairly maligned, just like us.

I've never been to the American South, but I do have a feeling of brotherhood with them based on this. We're known as the "bad" part of our respective countries, but really, we aren't. And I would very much like to visit one day.

But I'll agree with you, Acajack. This sentiment exists, and it's not only Quebecers, it's also other Canadians and Americans who aren't from the South.
Case in point: the other thread over there about Marine Le Pen, etc.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:27 PM

261 posts, read 275,566 times
Quote:
I've lived in 5 Canadian provinces and have relatives and friends that live in all of them and more. I'd venture to say that most Canadians have a vague awareness of the abbreviations for most U.S. states, and wouldn't be baffled by the two letters at the end of Charlotte, NC, Chicago, IL or Louisville, KY.
I feel the same as you, especially if we're talking about English-speaking Canadians. I'm a bit surprised that so many people here think Canadians wouldn't know these abbreviations, but I guess it's possible.

I don't remember seeing the Barcelona jersey, but if I'd taken some time to think about it instead of reading the answer before seeing the question, I might have been able to piece it together from the Catalan symbol on the shield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada