Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 02:28 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
I don't remember seeing the Barcelona jersey, but if I'd taken some time to think about it instead of reading the answer before seeing the question, I might have been able to piece it together from the Catalan symbol on the shield.
It often has the letters M E S S I on the back, which is another clue (at least for some!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 02:42 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
It probably means you do not follow soccer, not even casually. Which is perfectly fine, not everyone has to like it.
Well obviously I don't I'm surprised that Acajack is surprised that both Zoisite and I don't recognize it. Like I said though, now I'll probably see it everywhere.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
I feel the same as you, especially if we're talking about English-speaking Canadians. I'm a bit surprised that so many people here think Canadians wouldn't know these abbreviations, but I guess it's possible.

Having lived for a long time in both of Canada's legendary "solitudes", I was also thinking this but I chose not to raise it - until now - because it seems to be a bit sensitive.

I've also been surprised since I've lived here at how ignorant some Québécois people can be about a lot of American stuff that I took for granted (as in I assumed *most* Canadians being aware of them) growing up for a quarter century outside the province. (This is neither a good or bad thing BTW, just the way things are. But for some Canadians it seems to be a mark of pride to say they're unaware of certain American things.)

Old 04-26-2017, 02:50 PM

A post of mine from 2013:

//www.city-data.com/forum/29378397-post52.html

Old 04-26-2017, 02:59 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Maybe they'd recognize this version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxtULERscxw

Old 04-26-2017, 05:18 PM

261 posts, read 275,774 times
Quote:
It often has the letters M E S S I on the back, which is another clue (at least for some!).
Oh yeah, that too!

Regarding your post from 2013:
Quote:
That said, Quebec does have something of a country music sub-culture featuring the music, line dancing, square dancing, festivals, etc. But it is sort of under the surface. It features a fairly large country music industry that produces music in French - some of it original material, some of it translation of songs from English. I don't know how it sustains itself as there are next to no country music radio stations in the province of Quebec. You can listen to country stations in the areas of Quebec that are close to the borders, but these stations of course play English country music, not the stuff in French.
This is a very interesting observation. I've heard that Quebec country music is actually very popular, but I know very little about it, I don't listen to any of it, and most people I know don't either (or even look down on country music). Consider this piece of news about singer Guylaine Tanguay's chart-topping album from 2015; I remember she was also invited on Tout le monde en parle a few months ago to discuss her career, and the whole interview was framed as her success being the revenge of country music against the sneering elites. But I'd never heard of her, and just right now I couldn't even remember her name (other than "Guylaine something?")

It really seems to be a subculture that's massively popular, yet totally under the mainstream and completely ignored by the mainstream media. Or maybe it really isn't popular, and country music fans are the only people who still buy albums or something. But I am really curious about this strange phenomenon.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:20 PM

3,866 posts, read 5,291,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Well obviously I don't I'm surprised that Acajack is surprised that both Zoisite and I don't recognize it. Like I said though, now I'll probably see it everywhere.
You will notice it now. Its the official top shirt of the football bandwagoners club. Everyone who watches their first match and falls in love runs out as buys this shirt. Similar to how everyone cheers for Spain in the world cup, even though most of them have never been there

Old 04-26-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
You will notice it now. Its the official top shirt of the football bandwagoners club. Everyone who watches their first match and falls in love runs out as buys this shirt. Similar to how everyone cheers for Spain in the world cup, even though most of them have never been there
I've always been a bit partial to Barça - way before they became a global phenom - as they were historically the club of the little guys and the oppressed minority (Catalans). Kind of like the Montreal Canadiens of soccer.

Of course, there is nothing "little guy" about FC Barcelona today.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Maybe they'd recognize this version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxtULERscxw
Aahh Dick Rivers. Never heard that translation.

They're more likely to know this song of his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9L4FrjA8hY

Old 04-26-2017, 09:29 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
Seriously? You don't know that NC stands for North Carolina? That AZ stands for Arizona? That FL stands for Florida?
My first reaction to someone not knowing the abbreviation for a state would be surprise, and the thought following on the heels of the first would be that if they grew up in the email age, it's maybe not that surprising. I'm not sure how I know about state abbreviations but I assume it has to do with snail mail and extrapolating abbreviations from states you may at one time have sent mail to.

And I wouldn't know what that jersey was about either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada