Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 05:48 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Despite the understandable nationalistic flak you will probably get mentioning the move to the USA, I can tell you from experience that for a professional it is the better choice hands down. Lived in Canada before, it is a fine and clean country but the US is simply a much more rewarding choice in terms of career prospects, diversity of landscape, lifestyle, culture, COL and weather.
If I move from here I will go back to my native Europe, I do not see myself ever going back to Canada.

The cases that I know of people "bolting out" of Vancouver, their final destination is US, Spain, UK, France, Hungary, Ecuador and Italy.
We've just seen you say the same thing in these forums over and over again. It doesn't take long to look in practically any thread in the Canada forum and the same message from you is repeated. I could click on any random thread and there would be Saturno saying the exact same message. Continue though, apparently it is therapeutic for you to keep saying what you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 05:55 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
We've just seen you say the same thing in these forums over and over again. It doesn't take long to look in practically any thread in the Canada forum and the same message from you is repeated. I could click on any random thread and there would be Saturno saying the exact same message. Continue though, apparently it is therapeutic for you to keep saying what you do.

.........my opinions may be restated if someone new bring up a topic again (did you read the thread title?? My message was perfectly pertinent), in this case the previous poster ,which I assume did not go through the search forum for my post
It was also word of encouragement because it is a big step to move to another country.

Trust me, I have no desire to repeat things I said before for no reason.

In a forum things do get repeated....I'm pretty sure you stated your opinions over and over again during the years when a specific topic resurface.

Why do you worry about me repeating things for someone else?? Sense of insecurity??

Old 05-18-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
.........my message may be repeated if someone new bring up the topic again, in this case the previous poster which I assume did not go through the search forum for my post It was also word of encouragement because it is a big step to move to another country.

Trust me, I have no desire to repeat things I said for no reason.

In a forum things do get repeated....I'm pretty sure you stated your opinions over and over again during the years when a specific topic resurface.

Why do you worry about me repeating things for someone else?? Sense of insecurity??
yeah yeah new posters

Insecurity about what exactly. Just because people keep throwing around this insecurity thing doesn't make it true it just means that they are like lemmings. If you read my over and over again posts I think its clear i'm where I want to be. If I really wanted to live in the U.S I probably would have made that happen eons ago. If I could move away from Canada it wouldn't be to the U.S, it would be to Thailand (but only with my first world nest egg) and i'm working on that but in the meantime across the board I feel blessed to live where I do and I appreciate what this country offers and when I say country I mean more than one sliver of it.

The biggest reason I take Canada over the U.S every single day is very simple - our values. To me that is more important than any other consideration. The value system of this country is far more aligned with my personal value system than the U.S. That value system is reflected and permeates in everything from our politics to public policy to foreign policy to safety etc etc so quite frankly no - no insecurities.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-18-2017 at 06:24 PM..

Old 05-18-2017, 08:30 PM

1,299 posts, read 823,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by standie View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience. How did you adjust to the winter? Do you miss the ocean at all?
You're welcome!

Yes, we miss the ocean views. But we don't miss the smell of the intertidal zone and the pulp mill! lol

As for the winters - I would take a sunny Winnipeg winter over another Wet Coast one any time. I spent 10 years here as a kid, so I knew what I was in for. My husband and daughter (then a new high school grad) had no idea of what a prairie winter was really like, but once they figured out that proper winter clothing is not optional, they were fine with it. People are out and about, playing winter sports and enjoying the sunshine. I love the dryness, the snow, all of it. I used to hike all year round with a friend back on the Island, and we ran into very few people once the rain started. It was weird, so many people say they like how mild it is on the Island, yet hide indoors all winter.

That said, not everyone I know likes the winter here. Different strokes and all that. What I've found is that people who embrace it do just fine. But that goes for any move to a different area.

It's really funny, but when we told people we were leaving the Island for Winnipeg, we got lots of "why would you go there?" said with a sneer. When we'd say "Oh, so you've lived there?", it usually turned out that at the most they had driven through, but never ever visited. And when we got here, we were asked why would we ever leave BC "it's so beautiful!", and I'd answer because of the cost of living, the dreariness, the lack of job opportunities, and the blandness of the culture, they'd say "Oh!". People in Winnipeg are self-deprecating to a point that it almost balances out many BCers sense of superiority. Just kidding. Sort of.

Please don't think I'm trying to say that this city is all that! It's perfect for us, for reasons, but it might not be for anyone else. I'm just trying to point out that other parts of Canada have a lot going for them - there's a big, interesting country outside of the lower mainland.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
yeah yeah new posters

Insecurity about what exactly. Just because people keep throwing around this insecurity thing doesn't make it true it just means that they are like lemmings. If you read my over and over again posts I think its clear i'm where I want to be. If I really wanted to live in the U.S I probably would have made that happen eons ago. If I could move away from Canada it wouldn't be to the U.S, it would be to Thailand (but only with my first world nest egg) and i'm working on that but in the meantime across the board I feel blessed to live where I do and I appreciate what this country offers and when I say country I mean more than one sliver of it.

The biggest reason I take Canada over the U.S every single day is very simple - our values. To me that is more important than any other consideration. The value system of this country is far more aligned with my personal value system than the U.S. That value system is reflected and permeates in everything from our politics to public policy to foreign policy to safety etc etc so quite frankly no - no insecurities.
Fusion

I bet that if my "repetitive remarks" would have been opposite "ohh do not make this mistake, stay in Canada, it is one of the best places where to live" you would not have had any complains....

I agree with you, I do not see the US as the ideal place to be....not by far and, as you with Thailand (beautiful country BTW), I'm starting to consider more and more a move to Europe and skip San Diego altogether.

Finally, I find the difference in value between the US and Canada not that dramatic, at the end of the day the real difference is the health care issue and a modicum of better social safety net, that's it.

As European, I prefer my home continent over North America for a variety of reasons, but if I have to live out of it and make it worthwhile, I take the US over Canada....but that's me.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Fusion

I bet that if my "repetitive remarks" would have been opposite "ohh do not make this mistake, stay in Canada, it is one of the best places where to live" you would not have had any complains....
No that would get old too. I prefer balance

Quote:
I agree with you, I do not see the US as the ideal place to be....not by far and, as you with Thailand (beautiful country BTW), I'm starting to consider more and more a move to Europe and skip San Diego altogether.
Living in Thailand would suck making what the average local would make. We'd be very sad actually but with our 1st world retirement nest egg there would be no better place than S.E Asia to live imo. My only experience in Thailand is as a 'rich' farang. I'm not sure i'd be happy making 12000 Baht a month which is probably on the high side for a local there. Taking my western income there though sure - i'd have my very own live in Thai masseuse at my disposal all the time lol.

Quote:
Finally, I find the difference in value between the US and Canada not that dramatic, at the end of the day the real difference is the health care issue and a modicum of better social safety net, that's it.
Honestly the political situation would naw at me down there. Canada's right and left are far more in alignment. It is too volatile for my liking in the U.S. I also don't feel the same sense of ease in the U.S. It is hard to explain but there is just more of an edge to the country that I think would naw at you as well long term. There is something to be said about the smaller population and imo Canadian sensibilities as a whole that just jives with me more. You can disagree with my feelings about that but it is how I feel. I won't fault anyone for preferring the weather options in the U.S though by far the most interesting cities in the U.S imo are the colder one's anyway like Chicago, New York, Boston and Philly. S.F may be the perfect compromise in terms of weather and urbanity but its bloody expensive vs Toronto.

Quote:
As European, I prefer my home continent over North America for a variety of reasons, but if I have to live out of it and make it worthwhile, I take the US over Canada....but that's me.
I can't fault you for this at all. I love Portugal in so many ways but I just feel our continent gives better opportunities for work -not lifestyle just work. Canada seems to be a bit in between Europe and the U.S in general approach but closer to the U.S.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:

Honestly the political situation would naw at me down there. Canada's right and left are far more in alignment. It is too volatile for my liking in the U.S. I also don't feel the same sense of ease in the U.S. It is hard to explain but there is just more of an edge to the country that I think would naw at you as well long term. There is something to be said about the smaller population and imo Canadian sensibilities as a whole that just jives with me more. You can disagree with my feelings about that but it is how I feel. I won't fault anyone for preferring the weather options in the U.S though by far the most interesting cities in the U.S imo are the colder one's anyway like Chicago, New York, Boston and Philly. S.F may be the perfect compromise in terms of weather and urbanity but its bloody expensive vs Toronto.
While US politics is definitely more "noisy" I do not think is any more unstable than other advanced western countries...it is "instability" at the margins, almost "choreographic" which does not affect everyday life (so far)

Talking about American southern cities, to mention few, San Diego is definitely interesting, Atlanta surprisingly very much so, and so Austin, for example.
Actually Miami is culturally interesting in its own right.
I love to visit places like Charleston or Savannah as well.

Last edited by saturno_v; 05-18-2017 at 11:48 PM..

Old 05-19-2017, 01:03 AM

13 posts, read 13,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
You're welcome!

Yes, we miss the ocean views. But we don't miss the smell of the intertidal zone and the pulp mill! lol

As for the winters - I would take a sunny Winnipeg winter over another Wet Coast one any time. I spent 10 years here as a kid, so I knew what I was in for. My husband and daughter (then a new high school grad) had no idea of what a prairie winter was really like, but once they figured out that proper winter clothing is not optional, they were fine with it. People are out and about, playing winter sports and enjoying the sunshine. I love the dryness, the snow, all of it. I used to hike all year round with a friend back on the Island, and we ran into very few people once the rain started. It was weird, so many people say they like how mild it is on the Island, yet hide indoors all winter.

That said, not everyone I know likes the winter here. Different strokes and all that. What I've found is that people who embrace it do just fine. But that goes for any move to a different area.

It's really funny, but when we told people we were leaving the Island for Winnipeg, we got lots of "why would you go there?" said with a sneer. When we'd say "Oh, so you've lived there?", it usually turned out that at the most they had driven through, but never ever visited. And when we got here, we were asked why would we ever leave BC "it's so beautiful!", and I'd answer because of the cost of living, the dreariness, the lack of job opportunities, and the blandness of the culture, they'd say "Oh!". People in Winnipeg are self-deprecating to a point that it almost balances out many BCers sense of superiority. Just kidding. Sort of.

Please don't think I'm trying to say that this city is all that! It's perfect for us, for reasons, but it might not be for anyone else. I'm just trying to point out that other parts of Canada have a lot going for them - there's a big, interesting country outside of the lower mainland.

Thank you again for elaborating on your big move across provinces. I agree, there is a sense of pretentiousness here (especially lower mainland) everyones drinking the whole "best place on earth" kool aid, lol. I admit I have had my share of that kool aid, but travel across Canada enough to know that people seem genuinely happy in other cities where they're not a slave to their mortgage or commuting for hours just to live here. I personally don't mind the weather, I am not sure how I will adapt to long long cold winters, but as you said, you just have to embrace it I imagine the blue sky and sunshine make a difference in one's mood and energy level. Vancouver a stunning city and has a lot of good things going for it but I think it is just so expensive and over rated. I also find people here are not as open and friendly as the people I have met on the east coast. There is a lot going on for other parts of canada, so that is why I am considering a move to a smaller city where we can actually buy a home and have no mortgage and have more income and have more freedom. We also love the beaches around NS and NB and the people are very inviting and down to earth. I am nervous at such a big move, but also trying to look at how it could be the best decision

Old 05-19-2017, 09:07 AM

202 posts, read 128,872 times
Maybe the truth bears repeating, thus the subject coming up over and over.

"My husband and daughter (then a new high school grad) had no idea of what a prairie winter was really like, but once they figured out that proper winter clothing is not optional, they were fine with it."

That's fine on occasion. I can always travel home and visit family for that.

And as I am going into clinical psychology, did it ever occur to you that maybe my skills may be more needed south of the border? Kidding aside, I can see no way I won't have greater opportunity. My biggest concern is the upheaval of America's healthcare system. My concerns are somewhat ameliorated since I will be a healthcare provider, and you can't have any healthcare system without providers. Their problems seem to be more along the lines of insurance anyway. Who pays for it, not who gets paid (me).

In any case I should end up dual licensed so I can always have my choice of where to live. I took my undergrad work in Arizona so I guess I understand the difference in weather.

Last edited by per se; 05-19-2017 at 09:33 AM..

Old 05-19-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by per se View Post
Maybe the truth bears repeating, thus the subject coming up over and over.

"My husband and daughter (then a new high school grad) had no idea of what a prairie winter was really like, but once they figured out that proper winter clothing is not optional, they were fine with it."

That's fine on occasion. I can always travel home and visit family for that.

And as I am going into clinical psychology, did it ever occur to you that maybe my skills (becoming a psychologist) may be more needed south of the border? Kidding aside, I can see no way I won't have greater opportunity. My biggest concern is the upheaval of America's healthcare system. My concerns are somewhat ameliorated since I will be a healthcare provider, and you can't have any healthcare system without providers. Their problems seem to be more along the lines of insurance anyway. Who pays for it, not who gets paid (me).

In any case I should end up dual licensed so I can always have my choice of where to live. I took my undergrad work in Arizona so I guess I understand the difference in weather.

Recently, a well respected conservative political commentator said that the US will inevitably have a single payer health care system within 7 years...I happen to agree and I always thought (and I still somehow do) that Trump will be the one introducing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada