Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 09:46 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,704,209 times

Advertisements

I myself am planning on "cashing out" of Vancouver for retirement for sunny tropical climes. I would like to live in a warm climate where my pension will go further. I have quite a number of years yet before that happens. I don't mind living here overall and definitely enjoy certain aspects. So for my working life, it is not really a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 10:35 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I myself am planning on "cashing out" of Vancouver for retirement for sunny tropical climes. I would like to live in a warm climate where my pension will go further. I have quite a number of years yet before that happens. I don't mind living here overall and definitely enjoy certain aspects. So for my working life, it is not really a problem.

Spain.....you won't believe what beautiful apartments you can get over there for a fraction of the cheap cardboard shoe boxes sold in Van....much better finished, often more interesting architecturally.....top notch level of public services and great food and culture, unbeatable weather.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Spain.....you won't believe what beautiful apartments you can get over there for a fraction of the cheap cardboard shoe boxes sold in Van....much better finished, often more interesting architecturally.....top notch level of public services and great food and culture, unbeatable weather.
Yeah Spain looks great..Definitely one of the options. In fact, my wife has UK citizenship. It is just too bad about Brexit... It will make a potential move to Europe much harder in the future...

Old 05-19-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah Spain looks great..Definitely one of the options. In fact, my wife has UK citizenship. It is just too bad about Brexit... It will make a potential move to Europe much harder in the future...
I think in the end they will work out and agreement....and Spain will pressure the EU to get a deal......it is one of the favorite countries for UK expatriates....in any case you have at least 2 years to act yet.

Valencia right now has unbeatable real estate prices but they are climbing steadily, Spain economy is posting an impressive recovery with a lot of foreign capital tumbling in.

A couple that is a very good friend of mine is listing their condo in North Van next week and they will be out by the end of June.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:52 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
can you move to one of UK's overseas islands?

Spain is not tropical.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:33 AM

202 posts, read 128,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Recently, a well respected conservative political commentator said that the US will inevitably have a single payer health care system within 7 years...I happen to agree and I always thought (and I still somehow do) that Trump will be the one introducing it.
Although US politics confuse me (particularly lately) I can't help but think they have an insurance problem, not a healthcare problem. In fact I wonder if they don't have the cart in front of the horse, somehow trying to fix healthcare industry costs by fixing their healthcare insurance industry. Where is the sense in that?

I've read that the liberals always intended a single payer system, and that Obamacare was transitional. It makes me wonder if they always intended it to break down (as it appears to be doing now) and putting it such dire straits that going single payer would become imperative as the only alternative. But it also appears that liberals intended to be in charge when that happened, obviously their plans gone awry now.

It appears that is one of the things that explains the lower prescription drug prices here, with our healthcare system negotiating with pharmaceuticals for lower prices. It appears that Americans fully understand that part. I suspect the insurance companies want higher drug prices, since their insurance industry is regulated by setting an upper limit on insurance company profits (by requiring them to spend some large percentage of premiums paid to be spent on actually delivering patient treatment). It's too bad that US and Canada cannot get together and find some middle ground in the design of how healthcare is delivered that combines the best features of both systems. (I mean coming to a common, better model, not of course anything like combining the systems themselves.) It's obvious we have problems too that should be addressed.

But in any case as a healthcare provider there will be patients for me to treat, whether US or CA. The financial terms of my income will have to be explored. The cost of living, climate, lifestyle and culture of the areas in which I might wish to establish my practice will have to be considered. Both US and CA healthcare systems leave something to be desired, each with their own problems.

In the end it will be many years before I will be able to afford any quality of life in Vancouver and will I ever be able to afford it, chasing increasing prices even with my expected increasing income? And even then, it appears that there are many more opportunities for me if I don't limit myself. Summer is fine in CA but I have to live year round, and I'm not one for bundling up. Perhaps living in Arizona when I did my undergraduate work spoiled me. That's what I want—I want to be spoiled!

Old 05-20-2017, 05:02 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Spain is not tropical.
Yes, like the British Virgin Islands

Old 05-20-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Yes, like the British Virgin Islands
Yeah or the Turks and Caicos!

Old 05-20-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Spain is not tropical.

It is not but it is the right compromise (compared to Van it is tropical). Personally I would never live in a relatively small island....too isolated...

Old 05-20-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by per se View Post

I've read that the liberals always intended a single payer system, and that Obamacare was transitional.
Yes that is one interpretation.....it was transitional to let the costs explode and get the single payer system through the back door.

Look already at what is happening....the Republicans themselves do not want to go back to the previous system (the reason the first repeal attempt failed the this mostly watered down version only cleared the house but probably is going to be further watered down in the Senate)

Quote:
In the end it will be many years before I will be able to afford any quality of life in Vancouver and will I ever be able to afford it, chasing increasing prices even with my expected increasing income?
Not only that and, in the end, for what?? Seems that more and more people I talk to are finally waking up from the folly of paying up absurd prices for shoebox sized condos and multi million dollar tear down homes in Vancouver.....simply is not worth it, Vancouver is not that special. But not everyone is like you (or me) that has options....many people are stuck there if they are limited to Canada....either Vancouver (or Victoria) or shoveling snow somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada