Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 07:19 PM

10,734 posts, read 23,728,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
So, Saint John's looks like an outstanding place to visit. Phenomenal nature, and an aesthetic which resembles that of Europe, and is perhaps more picturesque than many cities over there. One problem though. Saint John's seems to be quite hard to get to. First, time. When I look at flights there, they all appear to be quite lengthy with multiple stops.

When I look at going by car, it says it would be 51 hours from FL ONE WAY, when factoring for the ferry across. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's super nice, but I mean, that's a longer amount of time than it would take me to get to Vancouver! Or, put another way, I could drive to the Rocky Mountains in NM and back in the amount of time it would take me to go one way to SJ. Now, it is still something I have given thought to one summer with my family. Is it THAT worth it though?

Second part is expenses. The flight there would seem to be almost as expensive as actually going to Europe. Driving even would be expensive, besides all the gas, the price of a ferry, plus either bringing my car across, or renting one over there, appears to be super steep also (like 100$ plus each way, plus 50$ per person in group each way. Yeesh.)

I still want to get there eventually, but in the meantime, do any of the other maritime provinces offer a similar feel? I know Quebec City and Montreal are pretty fantastic, but they aren't coastal, per se. And, from what I can tell, Halifax, Charlottetown, Saint John (NB) and Fredericton, don't look or feel especially European, not even compared to places like Portland, Maine, at least from pictures, though that impression could be wrong. Cape Breton Highlands would seem to offer some of the phenomenal nature of Newfoundland, but it doesn't appear to have any major/European feeling towns. That being said, which place in the mainland maritimes is the best combination of historic, European style urban center, combined with bucolic/astounding natural setting? OR, is there simply nothing that quite measures up to Gros Morne/Saint John's, and I need to figure out a way to get across? Thanks everyone!
It sound's like you're really just craving a trip to St. John's anyway. Honestly, St. John's and Newfoundland can't really be replicated. It's not just the scenery or its old world charm, and very palpable Irish connection. It's the people. Newfies are a fun, creative, witty, hospitable, story telling bunch. I spent 4 nights in St. John's including two days without a car, with plenty to do to keep busy on foot. I say just go the distance and make your way to the far eastern tip of the continent. It will be worth it. It's an uncommonly authentic and invigorating place to visit. I loved the nightlife the there, lots of local music.

What's also cool about St. John's is you have access to buzzing and fun town, but can also easily slip out into rugged coastal hiking right on the edge of town up at Signal Hill or Fort Amherst. The East Coast trail runs over a 100 miles of coastal hiking along side big rocky cliffs and coves.

I went to St. John's back last summer in 2016. And although I'm always wanting to travel new places, I'll always have an itch to get back to the Rock again. It's worth the journey, it's isolation is what help keeps it so authentic. Not sure what your air gateway is but you can get to St. John's non-stop from Montreal and Toronto (I'm sure it's not difficult to get to either from Florida airports). I flew through Montreal on my way up and Halifax (on my way back to Boston) on the way back. Feel free to PM me if you'd like. You can make your trip more fun and have a layover in Montreal for a night or two like I did on the way up.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-11-2017 at 07:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I think 2018 will be the year for Canadian travel for my partner and I and a visit to the Atlantic Provinces is at the top.
Are you going out to the Rock?

Old 05-11-2017, 08:48 PM

5,006 posts, read 5,626,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
It sound's like you're really just craving a trip to St. John's anyway. Honestly, St. John's and Newfoundland can't really be replicated. It's not just the scenery or its old world charm, and very palpable Irish connection. It's the people. Newfies are a fun, creative, witty, hospitable, story telling bunch. I spent 4 nights in St. John's including two days without a car, with plenty to do to keep busy on foot. I say just go the distance and make your way to the far eastern tip of the continent. It will be worth it. It's an uncommonly authentic and invigorating place to visit. I loved the nightlife the there, lots of local music.

What's also cool about St. John's is you have access to buzzing and fun town, but can also easily slip out into rugged coastal hiking right on the edge of town up at Signal Hill or Fort Amherst. The East Coast trail runs over a 100 miles of coastal hiking along side big rocky cliffs and coves.

I went to St. John's back last summer in 2016. And although I'm always wanting to travel new places, I'll always have an itch to get back to the Rock again. It's worth the journey, it's isolation is what help keeps it so authentic. Not sure what your air gateway is but you can get to St. John's non-stop from Montreal and Toronto (I'm sure it's not difficult to get to either from Florida airports). I flew through Montreal on my way up and Halifax (on my way back to Boston) on the way back. Feel free to PM me if you'd like. You can make your trip more fun and have a layover in Montreal for a night or two like I did on the way up.
Thanks everyone. I think my question is answered. I plan to make a trip there at some point in he next couple years. I appreciate all the advice everyone has posted, and I plan to even spend a couple weeks on the island when I do it. Living like a local, hitting pubs, etc.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:53 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,795,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Are you going out to the Rock?
Yes! Most definitely and probably at the top of our list. Also the CB highlands!

Old 05-12-2017, 02:50 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,459,093 times
They have some of the best tourism commercials I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfyqL9-EP20

and we wouldn't be Canadian if we didn't make fun of the ad as well. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GJdnxbngp0

Old 05-13-2017, 04:38 PM

16 posts, read 10,651 times
St. John's is a beautiful city, well worth the visit .

Old 05-13-2017, 04:43 PM

5,006 posts, read 5,626,905 times
Wow. Those tourism videos make me want to visit, tomorrow. What an awesome place. I also tend to think that whether I fly or drive, it would still likely be cheaper to get there than places like Alaska, Hawaii, or Europe.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Wow. Those tourism videos make me want to visit, tomorrow. What an awesome place. I also tend to think that whether I fly or drive, it would still likely be cheaper to get there than places like Alaska, Hawaii, or Europe.
Here's one for St. John's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mthu...BB7A8A2F97332B
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada