Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:02 PM

2,825 posts, read 7,560,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipm8 View Post
It is still done but shooting them is another method used, sometimes from a distance. Clubbing is more humane IMO, in most cases all it takes is one blow, whereas if a hunter is not an excellent shot it could take more than one bullet to do the job.
If anybody is interested here is a link to Fisheries and Oceans Canada that should dispel any myths you might have.

Fisheries and Aquaculture Management - Seals and Sealing in Canada (http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/seal-phoque/myth_e.htm - broken link)

I couldn't agree with you more. It is ironic that the IFAW pushed to outlaw the clubbing while it is much more accurate and more humane than shooting.

To the OP:

Of course, to be appalled of this as an American is somewhat hypocritical, as the US has its own annual seal hunt.

As far as humane goes. .... I have observed seal hunts in the Gulf of St Lawrence and off the front (Newfoundland). I have also been in slaughterhouses. You can take my word for it that the former is 1000% more humane than the latter.

So ... if you want to teach your students something worthwhile, please teach them that the PR put forth by the animal rights movements is wrong and people like Donna Mills don't know what they are talking about. They merely are telling you what the animal rights movement tells them and they don;t bother to check out the other side. After all, let's not be confused by the facts.

I know of what I speak. I used to write the propaganda until I experienced the issue and cultures first hand. Now I am an advocate of the sealers. And if my dear friend Garry Troake had still been alive the sealers side would be in a much better position by now.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-24-2008 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: clarification at member's request

Old 03-22-2008, 11:58 PM

215 posts, read 1,661,847 times
Calling it a "slaughter" is the same as someone saying "are you anti-life? I am not, I'm against abortion".

Old 03-23-2008, 07:34 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,769,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjbor View Post
Calling it a "slaughter" is the same as someone saying "are you anti-life? I am not, I'm against abortion".

But we're not going there with this thread, cuz it would be hugely off topic and not related to the Canada forum.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:27 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,336,959 times
I'm thinking of getting some of these....

What Do Canadians Think About the Annual Seal Slaughter?-15559183_240x240_front.jpg

Old 03-26-2008, 06:02 PM

16 posts, read 60,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
The problem, of course, is that McCartney isn't a "canadian from within". Nor are most of the other "celebrities" who run around under the misconception their abilities to act or sing somehow qualifies them to direct the actions of the unwashed masses in the "proper" direction.

When Canadians see a British pop star well past his best before date and his wife lying on the ice next to the wrong type of seal for a quick photo op after hopping out their chartered helicopter, the reaction is just as likely to be unfavourable.

Perhaps the people in the best position to make judgements on matters like this are wildlife biologists who actually have training, expertise and hard data.
+1

I bet if half of those Hollywood ignoramuses could get it through their heads that it's not the fluffy white baby seals that are hunted, just the ugly ol' grey adults they'd quickly lose interest. I remember when the McCartney's were here and they debated Newfoundland Premier Danny Williams on Larry King they came off looking like absolute fools, it was obvious they had no idea what they were talking about.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:01 PM

311 posts, read 1,059,631 times
That new commercial with the guy clubbing the other guy... wrong, just wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada