Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 11:21 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I realize this is subjective but I don't pick up Portuguese language phonetics.

To clairify I am talking about Portuguese Canadian phonetics in Toronto. Growing up in Toronto and growing up with, going to school with and working with people from all different type of backgrounds when speaking English even if born here there are some differences. Also this can people area specific too. Ex if you grew around a lot of Italian Canadian people some of their phonetics and slang starts to rub off. A really funny examble of that is I have this guy I know who's parents are from India, but he grew up in Woodbridge ( a very Italian ... though getting more a lot more multicultural area). The way he carries himself and speaks is highly influenced by the Italian community he grew up in. So just to tease him in a playful way we call him the Indian Gino lol ! He still lives in Woodbridge ! That is also one of the funny things about living in a multicultural city. So start to in corportate all these traditions of other cultures. Lots of fusion going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 11:22 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,822 times
Default ....

Quote:
I would fall into that category born in Portugal moved to Canada at five years of age then moved to California at seven years of age. Perhaps you are unable to distinguish those individuals but there are subtle differences and it really isn't that difficult for me to pick them out after engaging in a conversation etc.
Where is Canada?

Old 06-22-2017, 11:25 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Where is Canada?
Where in Canada?

Toronto

Old 06-22-2017, 12:53 PM

19 posts, read 25,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Judging by her accent and her appearance I really question if she is likely first generation Canadian from either from Italian or Portuguese decent.

I went to high school full of people like this! Most of which have parents that could barely speak English, were poorly educated and worked manual labour jobs ex construction, cleaners, factory works, but for some strange reason thought they were better then everyone.
Looks to me like you're just as bigoted as she is.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:30 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 815307 View Post
Looks to me like you're just as bigoted as she is.
Her statement isn't bigoted but definitely she's relying on stereotypes and it is clear she really doesn't know what's she's talking about she's making a judgement call based on limited information. She mentioned working class immigrant communities believing they are better than other groups.

Let's try enlightening and educating her immigrant Portuguese and Italians are family oriented cultures much more so than your typical Canadian or other North Americans that derived their self esteem from their educational level and job titles and what they own. I do think some of these immigrants do look down on cultures that are much more socially stratisfied or don't appear to have their act together. That's just the way it is even me as a well integrated Portuguese American I look at people's family dynamics and who they're related to first then consider their educational attainment and job titles and what they own as being much less significant.

She only made herself look uninformed and appears to have a chip on her shoulder. There are other ethnic groups in my view that are much less tolerant of non-white immigrants and I don't think that the non-White immigrants are any more tolerant in general of other immigrant groups.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:56 PM

19 posts, read 25,946 times
Quote:
Her statement isn't bigoted but definitely she's relying on stereotypes and it is clear she really doesn't know what's she's talking about she's making a judgement call based on limited information. She mentioned working class immigrant communities believing they are better than other groups.

Let's try enlightening and educating her immigrant Portuguese and Italians are family oriented cultures much more so than your typical Canadian or other North Americans that derived their self esteem from their educational level and job titles and what they own. I do think some of these immigrants do look down on cultures that are much more socially stratisfied or don't appear to have their act together. That's just the way it is even me as a well integrated Portuguese American I look at people's family dynamics and who they're related to first then consider their educational attainment and job titles and what they own as being much less significant.

She only made herself look uninformed and appears to have a chip on her shoulder. There are other ethnic groups in my view that are much less tolerant of non-white immigrants and I don't think that the non-White immigrants are any more tolerant in general of other immigrant groups.
Why? This shouldn't even be discussed, it has nothing to do with anything other than the OP being just as big of a bigot as the women she's disgusted by. I don't really care either way, I just find the hypocrisy amusing.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:58 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
I would fall into that category born in Portugal moved to Canada at five years of age then moved to California at seven years of age. Perhaps you are unable to distinguish those individuals but there are subtle differences and it really isn't that difficult for me to pick them out after engaging in a conversation etc.
If you walked up to my friends who were part of a group of us, and had no prior knowledge that they were of Portuguese origin, and could tell that they were, well then that's a pretty special talent.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:18 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If you walked up to my friends who were part of a group of us, and had no prior knowledge that they were of Portuguese origin, and could tell that they were, well then that's a pretty special talent.
I feel the same about picking out Mennonites so I have no reason to disbelieve him.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:50 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
I can't watch the video. It will just make my blood pressure go up. Feel for the kid. To have a racist, ignorant mother doesn't bode well for someone who is going to have to live in a very multi-cultural world.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:11 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I feel the same about picking out Mennonites so I have no reason to disbelieve him.
For some (as in the occasional Mennonite in your case), I can believe you. But for most? Hard to believe.

I mean, I can do that with some French Canadians too.

If I saw someone who looks like this guy walking down the street in Moscow, even before he opened his mouth I might talk to him in French!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada