Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 05:24 PM

600 posts, read 566,581 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I see nothing wrong with her request. We have people of a certain religious faith that only requests to see a doctor of the same faith. (Judaism). It happens all the time.

How is that ok? But this lady's request not?

I guess it because of HOW she requested it and the racial slur that came after that didn't help her case.

And why isn't there any "White" doctors at that clinic? Maybe she should call around beforehand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 05:30 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I am not relying on sterotypes. I am basis this from my person first hand experiences with many many many people from those 2 communities in Toronto and the surrounding cities. I also NEVER said that everyone from those communties thought that this.

All I said is said on how she was speaking ( not the what she was saying) she seemed either from either Portuguese or Italian in background. I never made her the poster child for all or any people in those cultural backgrounds in Toronto. So I am not seeing why any of you are harping on this.

Conversly for AFP to suggest that no people from those 2 background would ever act or say something like this an ignorant generalizations.
This is what I actually said Quote" She's not Portuguese based on demeanor body language or culture and I've never seen a Portuguese person pull the stupid ass ignorant racist white card. You really shouldn't be making uninformed assumptions about the ethnicity of this woman." End Quote.

It's post #19 and it is different than what you are saying I said. It could happen but I've never seen it happen or heard of it happening. In addition in the part I quoted I explained based on her demeanor, body language. I feel comfortable excluding her as a first or second generation Portuguese immigrant.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:38 PM
AFP

Quote:
My information about this not as limited as your think.
I am so tired of people making the we are more family oriented comment.
Totally nonsense as far as I am concerned.

Like the rest of people living in Canada the USA live like lone wolf.

Talk about generalization lol.
Ya ya ya .. you are family orientated and the rest of the world just dumps their kids off in the bushes and hopes of the best
I think certain people in general blame their lack of personal self ambition on any and every excuse in the book.

And people that gets twisted I know many educated and profession people that are of Italian and Portuguese Canadian backgrounds so I am not directing this comment specifically at them.
I think people that use the family orientated line need to actually get a clue about other cultures too.
Being family orientated does not mean that you don't go to school, get and education, travel and expose yourself to all else the world has too off.

You assume I don't know what I am talking about, but I have been living with and working with people from those community groups in Toronto my entire life. I am sitting in Little Portugal right now !
You can be as tired as you want to it's true Canadians and white Americans are for the most part all about me! Me! me! and not about we(family).

That's fine then perhaps you should have been more clear in the post that I responded to, I didn't feel any love either.

Okay it is possible to interact with people of other cultures and only have superficial knowledge I see that all the time here in California even people that marry into the culture often times are clueless.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:39 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
Honestly, I see nothing wrong with her request. We have people of a certain religious faith that only requests to see a doctor of the same faith. (Judaism). It happens all the time.

I guess it because of HOW she requested it and the racial slur that came after that didn't help her case.

And why isn't there any "White" doctors at that clinic? Maybe she should call around beforehand.
Your post is ridiculous on it's face. She demanded a white doctor who didn't have brown teeth as someone who works in the medical field there is no reasonable justification to accommote such a unreasonable racist demand.

Last edited by AFP; 06-22-2017 at 05:57 PM..

Old 06-22-2017, 05:40 PM

2,219 posts, read 1,324,871 times
I have come across patients who insisted on being attended by doctors who spoke their mother tongues. Is she making a scene in a public place, yes. Does she deserve all that unwanted attention from ... hmm.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:24 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I feel the same about picking out Mennonites so I have no reason to disbelieve him.
Really? Mennonites come in all shapes and forms, work in all types of industry, and are completely integrated in society. What characteristics of this particular religion do Mennonites have that make them stand out?

Old 06-22-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
This is a big issue in health care.

What we are seeing more and more is that there are more men becoming nurses and health care aides.

Also historically the health care system has been more accomidating to women wanting women to to provide care ex to help change or shower them.

But realistically we are not long able to accommodate this as it is discriminatory and more and more facilities are formally saying no we can't accomidate this as it violates labour laws.

So if this is really important to someone it is there problem to find someone that meet their criteria, but from an organization's stand point it can not be formally accomidated without violating the human rights of the employees.
There are male midwives as well.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:33 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post

I kind of want to defend my people here. I'm Jewish. Have I had doctors who have not been Jewish? Absolutely. In fact, most of them have not been Jewish. But when I moved from Montreal to CT, or from CT to MA, and had to find a new doctor, I used Google... and picked out my doctor based on proximity to my home and, sure, the Jewish name because I wanted to feel "connected" in some way to this person, in this city of strangers.

The defending part is not that, though: It's the fact that many of my non-Jewish friends look for doctors (and attorneys and accountants and dentists and and and) that are Jewish. It's true.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I always think to myself, you can run but you can't hide! Hehehe

But it's not looks with Mennonites. It's their whole demeanour. But their last names will give it away every time.
The last names work for men, but not necessarily for women. Obviously Mennonite women may marry men who practice other religions. The same is true of Judaism - the last name is a dead giveaway. Nationality is obvious with last names as well, but suppose a last name originates in Portugal in the 1600s. The last name suggests Portugal, but it is from such a long time ago that the name no longer tells you anything about the family today.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
[/b]There's nothing special about it quite a few people can pick out people of their own ethnic group and physical appearance is only part of it.
I completely agree with that, but it only really works when both parents are from the same cultural group. As soon as things are mixed up, the features are mixed up, and it's no longer obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada