Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 06:58 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
All joking aside. We deal with this issue a lot in health care. If it is a non emergency issue and are able to look around for someone that you would like to work with more for whatever reason that is your business.

But people cant fail to remember is most care settings hospitals, larger health care clinics and long term care facilities etc most staff are unionized. Also provincial labour laws would not be accepting of infringing of the rights of employees to accomidate these preferences. It is also dangerous ex prolonging delivery of care due to preferences that actually have not relationship to the quality of the clinical care provided. Staff are not trained differently.

To be honest I wish I could turn unreasonable patients and clients away, but there are HUGE legal consequences for doing that. In most cases you along might be liable if something happens to them. With in a few mintues I could draft a list of patients ( more because of their families) that I would not want to deal with due to their conduct ex threatening or abusive conduct. But honestly every health care profession about easily sit down and share stories of the extremly difficulty and unreasonable patients and families that they have had to endure dealing with.
I wasn't attempting to make light of this particular situation only the tenor of the ensuing discussion.

No one should lend legitimacy to this woman's actions or behaviour. She was way out of bounds from all semblance of acceptable human interaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 07:23 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I wasn't attempting to make light of this particular situation only the tenor of the ensuing discussion.

No one should lend legitimacy to this woman's actions or behaviour. She was way out of bounds from all semblance of acceptable human interaction.
What if women had to undergo the same procedure you mention upthread. Should a caucasian female Christian patient be comfortable with a brown male Muslim doctor performing the procedure? You imply that men would enjoy a female doctor in this situation. Would women enjoy a male doctor?

Old 06-22-2017, 07:31 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Really? Mennonites come in all shapes and forms, work in all types of industry, and are completely integrated in society. What characteristics of this particular religion do Mennonites have that make them stand out?
They're family.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:34 PM

The woman in question clearly has the idea that she will receive the best medical care available if the doctor appears familiar to her ... white skin, white teeth, blond/brown or dyed hair, native English language. What she is expecting his not that uncommon. Her mistake was in making so much noise about it. As soon as she realized they were unable to provide the service she wants, she should have left the building.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
[/b]

There's nothing special about it quite a few people can pick out people of their own ethnic group and physical appearance is only part of it.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
They're family.
So presumably you could recognize their values, philosophy, and general habits.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
What if women had to undergo the same procedure you mention upthread. Should a caucasian female Christian patient be comfortable with a brown male Muslim doctor performing the procedure? You imply that men would enjoy a female doctor in this situation. Would women enjoy a male doctor?
What's with the provocative use of 'enjoy?' I had a "male brown Muslim" gynaecologist until he retired. Before him I had a WASP doctor. I have a male French Canadian doctor now. I've never "enjoyed" any doctor visit.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:42 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
I know that your question wasn't directed to me, but I have an interesting take on this. It's unrelated to race, though, just sex.

All my adult life, I had a female gynecologist. That's exactly the way I wanted it. I absolutely outright said that I'd never go to a male gynecologist.

Fast forward to my move to Connecticut. Part of the immigration procedure to the U.S. is to undergo a physical. My immigration attorney suggested Doctor A. But Doctor B lived closer to where I was living. The attorney said that, really, I should go to Doctor A. (I know what you're thinking -- that Doctor A is white and Jewish, just like me, but Doctor B is not. Partially true -- they're BOTH white and Jewish. It's just that Doctor A is a doctor AND an attorney, and he's friends with my immigration lawyer. Anyway, that's neither here nor there.)

So I go to Doctor A who is SUCH A NICE MAN. We had a lovely conversation, I admired the landscape photos that he took (doctor, attorney, AND photographer), he did the exam, blah blah blah. Just a nice person in every way. While I was there, I noticed that the sign on his door said that he was a gynecologist. I asked him about this, and why he was doing immigration physicals. He said that he does immigration exams one day per week -- it's a break in his routine. Okay.

Now I'm thinking: Well, here I am in a new city (heck, a new COUNTRY) and I'll need a gynecologist. And here's this SUCH A NICE MAN man. But. But, but, but. "I absolutely outright said that I'd never go to a male gynecologist." Pause, pause, think, pause. "Are you taking new GYN patients?" I asked him. He said that he'd see me. And that was that. From "I absolutely outright said that I'd never go to a male gynecologist" to "I have the NICEST gynecologist! And he's a HE!"

I forgot the point of my story.

Oh yeah.

Nope. Lost it again. Anyway, it's a good story.

Okay, maybe my point is this. Okay, maybe I have two points:

1. I get BruSan's humor. Guys...
2. Sometimes what you think you want is not really what you should have. Had I judged this doctor based on being male, I'd have lost out on a great doctor. There are plenty of great doctors out there in both sexes and of every race, religion, etc. Some people are limiting themselves by stereotypes, biases, and ignorance. They're cutting off their nose to spite their face -- and for THAT you'd need a REALLY good doctor.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Hey; let's talk about men undergoing the prostate manipulation digit exam for a bit. Which would YOU prefer; another man mining for gold or a very attractive 30 year old female doctor?

There, does that manage to send us off on another, more humorous tangent a little less controversial but still with all the cachet of personal prejudices included?
My post was in response to this comment - in reference to the procedure and whether it is true for both genders (and whatever else genderwise applies). The word "enjoy" is not stated, but it is implied.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I know that your question wasn't directed to me, but I have an interesting take on this. It's unrelated to race, though, just sex.

All my adult life, I had a female gynecologist. That's exactly the way I wanted it. I absolutely outright said that I'd never go to a male gynecologist.

Fast forward to my move to Connecticut. Part of the immigration procedure to the U.S. is to undergo a physical. My immigration attorney suggested Doctor A. But Doctor B lived closer to where I was living. The attorney said that, really, I should go to Doctor A. (I know what you're thinking -- that Doctor A is white and Jewish, just like me, but Doctor B is not. Partially true -- they're BOTH white and Jewish. It's just that Doctor A is a doctor AND an attorney, and he's friends with my immigration lawyer. Anyway, that's neither here nor there.)

So I go to Doctor A who is SUCH A NICE MAN. We had a lovely conversation, I admired the landscape photos that he took (doctor, attorney, AND photographer), he did the exam, blah blah blah. Just a nice person in every way. While I was there, I noticed that the sign on his door said that he was a gynecologist. I asked him about this, and why he was doing immigration physicals. He said that he does immigration exams one day per week -- it's a break in his routine. Okay.

Now I'm thinking: Well, here I am in a new city (heck, a new COUNTRY) and I'll need a gynecologist. And here's this SUCH A NICE MAN man. But. But, but, but. "I absolutely outright said that I'd never go to a male gynecologist." Pause, pause, think, pause. "Are you taking new GYN patients?" I asked him. He said that he'd see me. And that was that. From "I absolutely outright said that I'd never go to a male gynecologist" to "I have the NICEST gynecologist! And he's a HE!"

I forgot the point of my story.

Oh yeah.

Nope. Lost it again. Anyway, it's a good story.

Okay, maybe my point is this. Okay, maybe I have two points:

1. I get BruSan's humor. Guys...
2. Sometimes what you think you want is not really what you should have. Had I judged this doctor based on being male, I'd have lost out on a great doctor. There are plenty of great doctors out there in both sexes and of every race, religion, etc. Some people are limiting themselves by stereotypes, biases, and ignorance. They're cutting off their nose to spite their face -- and for THAT you'd need a REALLY good doctor.
Things change over time. We change our views and expectations, depending on what life deals us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada