Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2017, 11:30 PM

19 posts, read 17,231 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am planning to do a 9 Day Photography Trip (National Parks, Landscape, Nature, Sunrise, Sunsets, Milky Way, Star Trail, Northern Lights etc) of Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, during the July 4th week

I have been to Banff, Jasper and hoping to have "similar" kind of “breathtaking” shots taken in this region, though I completely understand that this part of Canada has a different landscape.

I am flying into and out of Halifax and will have a Car with me. I love driving and am used to driving 6 to 8 hrs a day and mainly want to focus on the photography compositions that I mentioned above.

Below are a few places/points that I am planning to see and have put down some related questions.

Nova Scotia

• Bay of Fundy: Which place/location will give the best vantage point for photography. Is Sunrise/Sunset best for this location?
• Cabot Trail: Should I do this clockwise or anticlockwise? What should be the start and end points?
• Lunenberg, which other places are an absolute must for photography in Nova Scotia

I then plan to take the Ship from North Sydney to Channel-Port aux Basques and cover below places in Newfoundland, before again returning to North Sydney from Channel-Port aux Basques

Newfoundland: What is the best route to cover Newfoundland in 4-5 days, by covering below mentioned places?

• Gros Morne NP: How many days should I spend here and which are the best places for Day and Night Photography?
• Ferry from Saint Barbe to Blanc Sablon to see Red Bay and Battle Harbour: Is this good for photography and worth the time?
• L'Anse aux Meadows Road, St Anthony
• Twillingate: I believe we can take boat rides to see the Icebergs. Any other location which offers best view of the Icebergs ?
• What is the most scenic routes in NL
• Terra Nova NP: Anything which catches the eye here?
• St. John’s area – Cape Smear, Witless Bay…What are the other best places here ?

Other questions overall

• Should I first cover Newfoundland (Gros Morne, Icebergs, St. Johns etc) and then see NS (Cabot Trail, Lunenburg, Bay of Fundy etc)?
• Are there any routes in these places which will need an AWD or 4WD car?
• Which places (darkest skies) would be best for Milky Way and Northern Lights
• Which are the best locations to see wildlife (whales, bears, seals etc), birds, icebergs

Your responses will help me map out the places and let me decide the time that I need to spend in each place.

Thanks, as Always

- Manish
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 05:37 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,026,310 times
The best Bay of Fundy scenery is actually at Hopewell Cape near Moncton and Fundy National Park also in NB.

In NS Peggy's Cove near Halifax and Mahone Bay near Lunenburg.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:37 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,136,616 times
Agree with AJ regarding Hopewell Cape and Mahone Bay. Low and high tide give completely different vibes at Hopewell. Not sure whether you have enough time to go all around Newfoundland and go to Bay of Fundy though.

Have you considered coming back from Argentia instead of Channel-Port aux Basques? That'd save you from doing the same 9-hour stretch of road in both directions.

St. John's: don't miss Signal Hill and the Battery neighborhood, and of course the colored rowhouses. Witless Bay was nothing special but I liked the loop north of St. John's (Bauline-Pouch Cove-Flatrock).

I have always done the Cabot Trail counterclockwise so I cannot say which way is better, although I do know that counterclockwise is probably better for the small stretch of side road around Neils Harbour and White Point, which gives great views of the northern tip of Cape Breton Island.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
A bit of a scenic side trip i take when going to Halifax is when entering the province at Amhurst take a right and hug the coast to Joggins on rt209 then head to Advocate Harbor then over to Parrsboro then through Truro and then on to Halifax.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:02 PM

19 posts, read 17,231 times
Thanks and Many Thanks everyone….Just planning this trip and reading your inputs is an enriching journey.

I have come up with the following, without getting into the specifics yet

Day 1 – Cabot Trail, then take Ferry from NS to CPB
Day 2 – Night halt around St. Anthony, will NOT do Red Bay/Battle Harbour
Day 3, 4 – Gros Morne NP
Day 5 – Night halt at Twillingate
Day 6 – Night halt at Bonavista
Day 7 – Night halt near St. Johns
Day 8 – Take Evening Ferry from Argentia to NS
Day 9 - Lunenberg

This is the last leg of my planning and I am able to get some positive responses for Hotel Bookings, few already booked….. Any other last minute thoughts/suggestions/key locations ?

Regards
Manish

Old 07-04-2017, 08:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I suggest taking twice as long to do this trip. We are planning to visit Newfoundland in the next couple of years and could not do the place justice in only 9 days. We plan to drive from New Hampshire USA to the North Sydney and the Cabot Trail for a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada