Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2017, 12:51 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,278,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
To answer the OP, I'd say that Canada leans more progressive because there are a number of factors that favoured collectivism that influence the country disproproportionately when compared to the U.S.

What I mean is that for example homesteading in the harsh environment of the Canadian Prairies required people to band together and rely on each other in order to survive. This phenomenon was present in many areas of the U.S. of course but the percentage of the country (and therefore the impact on national ethos) was not nearly as great. What's ironic is that much of our Prairie region has fallen into quite a bit of money in recent decades and isn't so collectivist anymore and is actually quite individualistic and spouts a lot of conservative rhetoric about self-reliance and such. But the historic impact of that region's collectivism remains and has influenced the wider Canadian whole - universal medicare was basically born on the Prairies, for example.

The province of Quebec was and is collectivist but for different reasons. (Which are fairly easy to speculate about.) Given that it's about a quarter of the country (give or take), this also tilts Canadian politics towards the progressive side more often that not.
Don't forget that in the US, the law followed the settlers west where in Canada the law preceded the settlers west. Not sure what that had to do with anything but it certainly had to have some impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 01:24 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,049,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've said this before, but you guys still write cheques in grocery stores for pete's sake. You are just getting chip cards for debit and credit.
You money is...don't get me started on your money and how old fashioned it looks. LOL
What?????? I haven't seen a check written in a grocery store for probably 10 or 15 years. I will tell you that as a merchant, I do encourage people to write me checks because I don't have to pay a partner in the merchant services provider.

Once again, CHIPS SUCK!! The data is easily stolen and they slow the whole checkout process down. I hate chips and would love to go back to swiping. Newer is not always better.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:36 PM

And don't get me started on plastic bills. Yuck!!!

American money feels like....money, not some slippery plastic wrapping.

Old 07-03-2017, 01:44 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Polymer bills are the best. Paper money can get wet and ruined for all sorts of reasons: pants in the wash, spills in the kitchen, idiots throwing you in a pool fully dressed...

Old 07-03-2017, 01:51 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Polymer bills are the best. Paper money can get wet and ruined for all sorts of reasons: pants in the wash, spills in the kitchen, idiots throwing you in a pool fully dressed...
That last part sounds suspiciously like a personal experience...

Old 07-03-2017, 02:42 PM

525 posts, read 453,835 times
https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content...awhill_ch3.pdf

I'm not sure if the US is the best place to "get ahead" if you come from a poorer family. Canada's socioeconomic mobility is much higher than the US's. Then again, at least part of it is because the US has a longer socioeconomic ladder.

So I guess in Canada you're more likely to get ahead, but if you do get ahead in the US, you'll go further.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post

I'm not sure if the US is the best place to "get ahead" if you come from a poorer family. Canada's socioeconomic mobility is much higher than the US's. Then again, at least part of it is because the US has a longer socioeconomic ladder.

So I guess in Canada you're more likely to get ahead, but if you do get ahead in the US, you'll go further.
All I can tell you is that I make more than my father, my sisters make significantly more than me. My wife spoke something far less than fluent English when she arrived here over 25 years ago. Today she makes more than double the median US income. The only thing her parents gave her was a work ethic. If you have the desire to succeed here, you will. If you don't, that's on you. I also know a Canadian who came from almost nothing and is now making what anybody would consider to be a huge income. There's plenty of opportunity in both places if one is so inclined.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:18 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Corporations have people working for them towing the corporate line to make money. I fail to see how just because someone may be working on advanced software is automatically socially progressive.
Technological advancement is tightly linked with socioeconomic progress...obviously there are many way to see how progressive someone is....you may have someone like me, very progressive socially but strongly believe in self defense and gun rights...how you slot someone like me??

Quote:
Wrong. Nothing wrong. Nothing wrong with someone wanting to travel by stage coach, but just don't try and convince people that the stage coach isn't old technology and shows a resistance to change.
Change does not have to be imposed nor is automatically better....by the way the only people that I still see using checks are some seniors...they are stuck sometimes in their own ways like all seniors

Quote:
I did a bit of Googling on socially advanced countries. All types of surgery etc and they all put Canada ahead of the US.

Here's one

https://www.sciencealert.com/global-...rld-to-live-in
All these stats tend to see everything under the biased lens of what the study promoters consider as socioeconomic progress. Again, someone like me, for example, is difficult to "box in"....I'm very socially progressive but fiscally conservative and I believe in gun rights....the US has a significant component of people with libertarian leaning....so difficult to "model". On top of that, the US is a hugely diverse country and this is something many people fail to grasp, some Canadians included despite living next door.

Last edited by saturno_v; 07-03-2017 at 03:29 PM..

Old 07-03-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post

I'm not sure if the US is the best place to "get ahead"
Absolutely....overall, in real life, there are more opportunities for advancement than Canada, including for immigrants.

Quote:
Canada's socioeconomic mobility is much higher than the US's. Then again, at least part of it is because the US has a longer socioeconomic ladder.

Exactly....data has to be interpreted correctly.....I do not deny that Canada may (not necessarily but may in some situation, cost of living and cost of housing need to be considered and that favors the US) being better than the US for low wage workers.

Cost of education in the US has collapsed thanks to the online revolution.

Old 07-03-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
I also know a Canadian who came from almost nothing and is now making what anybody would consider to be a huge income. There's plenty of opportunity in both places if one is so inclined.
A lot of Canadians that moved to the US would never ever go back, including in this forum.
I did not come from a privileged family....I was in immigrant in Canada and I was an immigrant in the US....but my efforts went way way further in the US....no way I could have attained what I did in the US back in Canada and in the same amount of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada