Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 06:16 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,817,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
So progressives are much smarter than conservatives, correct?

And you people wonder why Harper, then Trump won. Now you have the little twerp in there and the wheels are slowly falling off the economy. But he's so smaat and handsome.

Also note populists and nationalists pushing back all around the world because they are sick and tired of people who think they know what's best for the rest of the hoi polloi. Keep up the arrogance, you will reap what you sowed and it won't be what you're expecting.
I'm a leftist (have never voted for a single Republican) and I find this holier-than-thou, judgmental Canadian style of Progressivism to be absolutely repugnant and disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 06:53 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
I'm a leftist (have never voted for a single Republican) and I find this holier-than-thou, judgmental Canadian style of Progressivism to be absolutely repugnant and disgusting.
I wouldn't touch the Republican Party on the national level with a 10 foot pole. They are way too interested in imposing their brand of morality on the people. The militant progressives are the same way. They think they know what's best for the masses and they're so much smarter than everybody else. All I want is for the government to get the heck out of people's lives and wallets. Nobody knows what's better for me than me and nobody knows what's better for you than you.

Funny thing is that the Canadians I know in real life aren't anywhere near as on board with this progressive movement as those here on C-D. A couple are really PO'ed at the whole thing.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:40 PM

1,147 posts, read 717,981 times
Canada is the "most reputable" nation in 2017, according to the Reputation Institute:
1. Canada
2. Switzerland
3. Sweden
4. Australia
5. New Zealand
6. Norway
7. Finland
8. Denmark
9. Netherlands
10. Ireland

Old 07-10-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
That poster isn't from Canada, if the location information he or she provided is accurate. Why are Canadians blamed for Americans who don't like America?

Last edited by Fish & Chips; 07-10-2017 at 08:05 PM..

Old 07-10-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
You are an American leftist who likes quasi-progressive Hillary Clinton. I doubt you know much about progressivism.

That poster isn't from Canada, if the location information he or she provided is accurate. Why are Canadians blamed for Americans who don't like America?

Old 07-10-2017, 08:14 PM

The best thing about Republicans is that people know they're crap. They don't hide it.

Democrats are quasi-progressives. They pretend to be progressive for votes, like Hillary Clinton.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:27 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
I wouldn't touch the Republican Party on the national level with a 10 foot pole. They are way too interested in imposing their brand of morality on the people. The militant progressives are the same way. They think they know what's best for the masses and they're so much smarter than everybody else. All I want is for the government to get the heck out of people's lives and wallets. Nobody knows what's better for me than me and nobody knows what's better for you than you.

Funny thing is that the Canadians I know in real life aren't anywhere near as on board with this progressive movement as those here on C-D. A couple are really PO'ed at the whole thing.

The only Republican I ever voted for is Ron Paul (the only Republican that polled better than Obama in 2012) and couple of folks for local elections of similar leaning.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:41 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,409,476 times
Quote:
Even alcohol policy in Canada is behind: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1544faebe84e
You do realize you linked to a comedy piece? According to the Washington Post itself, "Nick Zarzycki is a Toronto-based comedy writer."

Toronto. That's all I need to know. Since alcohol distribution is provincially-based, it is incorrect to say "alcohol policy in Canada is behind." Better to say, "Alcohol policy in Ontario is behind," as your link deals mostly with Ontario. And if you said such a thing, you'd be correct: Quebec allows beer and wine sales in corner stores; Alberta allows liquor stores to stay open until midnight, seven days a week (even Sundays); and as far as I know, BC allows off-sales, which Ontario doesn't. Compared to those provinces, Ontario is indeed behind: heck, out here in Alberta in 2017, we have a saying about Ontario and alcohol: "Ontario needs to be dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 1990s, as regards alcohol. It's a start." As for the Importation of Intoxicating Liquors Act? It's unconstitutional, according to both Constitution s. 121, and the Comeau decision.

In my view, you would do better to suggest that alcohol policy in Ontario is behind than to suggest that alcohol policy in Canada is behind. Canada is ten provinces and three territories, each of which sets their own alcohol policies. I'd recommend that, if you choose to remark upon Canada's alcohol policies, that you specify the province in question first.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:30 AM

196 posts, read 216,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Taxation in the EU has been steadily going down, on fiscal issues the EU is significantly more conservative than the US, member countries cannot exceed 3% of budget deficit (and with a 60% debt/GDP maximum ratio, albeit theoretical at the moment), the US at some point reached 10%

Furthermore, the EU has been becoming increasingly more market oriented and the mythical European job security is increasingly becoming a distant memory. Even in Scandinavian countries the "cradle to the grave" model is under pressure.

The United States run one of the largest and generous welfare system in the world.....the US Armed Forces.

I do not agree with Manitopiaaa with some of his/her criticism of European cities, on some aspects they are far more modern than American ones (including Canadians), public transportation for example....however I agree that many European big cities suburbs are depressing.....Paris for example.
Is that 3% a general guideline? It seems some countries (UK, France) are permanently exceeding it. The entire attitude towards taxes seems to be different in the US; as if a very vocal and large portion of the population/legislature think of it as amounting to no good or a waste. Or at least that is the perception. You also have places like Kansas experimenting 0% corporate income taxes, saying that it will be rocket fuel to the economy. Canada (Ontario) and the EU (Finland) are experimenting with guaranteed income instead.

On the subject of job security, maybe some EU countries simply have no option but to move more to the right. In France, the difficulties in firing a worker is keeping small businesses from hiring since it's such a commitment. Nevertheless, the minimum amount of benefits an employee receives (vacation, parental leave) in the EU remains far more enticing compared to the US.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:00 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudReader View Post
Is that 3% a general guideline? It seems some countries (UK, France) are permanently exceeding it.
Is supposed to be a fairly firm rule and there are stiff penalties that comes from going over but some countries are big and important enough that they simply ignored it up to a point (France for example)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada