Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 12:51 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,051,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post

I have read that in the USA people can teach, or substitute teach, in schools without a teaching degree. I understand that the standards are set by each state, but generally speaking the qualifications to teach, or even work in a public school classroom, seem much lower in the USA than in Canada. I think that is reflected in salary.
You have read wrong. Most teachers in the US have a masters degree and darn near all full time teachers have at least a bachelors. I would never send my kids to a school that had under qualified teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 01:10 PM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
$38,500 USD is not very good pay for a college educated individual.
Yet you seem to have a problem with teachers getting much more than that.

Quote:
I didn't click the link. I have no idea where you got that crazy number of maxing out at in the $60s. That's absurd. We have teachers in our district making over $100K. Here are their exact salaries.

NJ Teacher Salaries - UPDATED : See how much New Jersey school teachers make
New Jersey isn't the US. You don't have to go very far into the state to your immediate west to see school systems topping out at $55K after thirty years.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:42 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,956,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The friend I was referencing is an elementary school teacher.
I believe the role can be quite a different experience for elementary versus secondary teaching.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I didn't click the link. I have no idea where you got that crazy number of maxing out at in the $60s. That's absurd. We have teachers in our district making over $100K. Here are their exact salaries.

NJ Teacher Salaries - UPDATED : See how much New Jersey school teachers make
I got that crazy number from the link you provided:

"The OECD's full data set reveals a yawning gap between the highest and lowest paid teachers around the world. When converted to US dollars, many of the salaries fall well short of the average American teacher, who makes $37,000 starting out and approximately $60,000 at the upper end."

Teacher salaries by country - Business Insider

The NJ link includes a wide range of salaries from administrative to vocational teaching salaries, and it is difficult to identify which schools are public and which are private. Private school salaries will skew the results.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:57 PM

Mod cut: quoted post deleted.

It's not surprising that some states have higher certification requirements for teachers, and some have lower requirements. It's unfortunate, but it's not surprising. In Canada, substitute teachers are trained teachers who are either retired, or who did not qualify for a full time position in the public school system for one reason or another, but they do have the same degrees. I'm surprised that a substitute teacher in the USA is viewed as a "babysitter". Canadian substitute teachers are expected to provide a service beyond keeping the chair warm - such as teach lessons, give exams, continue with the lesson and unit plan. The absence of the regular teacher does not mean a play day for students.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-08-2017 at 08:54 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 08:10 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,051,515 times
Quote:
I got that crazy number from the link you provided:

"The OECD's full data set reveals a yawning gap between the highest and lowest paid teachers around the world. When converted to US dollars, many of the salaries fall well short of the average American teacher, who makes $37,000 starting out and approximately $60,000 at the upper end."

Teacher salaries by country - Business Insider

The NJ link includes a wide range of salaries from administrative to vocational teaching salaries, and it is difficult to identify which schools are public and which are private. Private school salaries will skew the results.
The key word being average. Just as an FYI, private school teachers make less than their public school counterparts on average and all of them in the link are public schools districts to the best of my knowledge. Private school teachers personal salaries are nobody's business.

There's a few teachers in there making over $180K.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:09 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
Teachers in many California districts are paid very well. Salaries for teachers where I live in Southern California run up to $100k in USD plus they get paid overtime on top of that. They also have a very generous pension plan.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:40 PM

I guess the conclusion would be that USA and Canadian teachers are both paid very well, with excellent benefits for 200 days of work annually. I think teaching would be an okay profession for a few years, but the repetitive nature of the work would lead to boredom - same job tasks repeated every year from Sept-June.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:25 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,777,193 times
Quote:
I guess the conclusion would be that USA and Canadian teachers are both paid very well, with excellent benefits for 200 days of work annually. I think teaching would be an okay profession for a few years, but the repetitive nature of the work would lead to boredom - same job tasks repeated every year from Sept-June.
The pay is an over generalization because it varies a lot depending on location.

Our son was a high school Spanish teacher. He got out of teaching because he said there is no incentive to work hard. You get paid the same whether you are mediocre or a star.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
The pay is an over generalization because it varies a lot depending on location.

Our son was a high school Spanish teacher. He got out of teaching because he said there is no incentive to work hard. You get paid the same whether you are mediocre or a star.
That is how it is after securing tenure. The sad thing about teachers is that after a few years they really don't enjoy their jobs, but they can't let go of the benefits and pension, and perhaps they don't see a better career path. Teachers like that are like the walking dead, wishing their lives away so they can sit around and eat bonbons while collecting a pension.

I suppose the incentive is supposed to come from seeing the student's accomplishments, but I suspect that wears thin after a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada