Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 02:11 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Two more towns had to evacuate this weekend, and more are on alert to be prepared to evacuate at a moment's notice tomorrow. Apparently there are something like 360 extra firefighters from other parts of the country will be arriving on Monday to assist the BC firefighters.

My elderly neighbor had gone up to the interior last week to visit friends and go fishing for a few days. Over the weekend he and his friends had to evacuate and he is trapped up there and can't drive south to get home because the roads and highways are closed due to fires. He couldn't drive back right away even if the roads open soon because the towns there have all run out of gasoline since there was a run on gas stations once everyone was put on evacuation alert. Now he's sheltering and volunteering his services (he's a chef) with his friends and other evacuees from their town. They're all sheltering in a school gymnasium in another town that isn't too badly threatened yet.

That is scary! The idea that people wouldn't be able to evacuate, because of a petrol shortage stemming from a rush on gasoline!

California now is going through a similar situation of multiple wildfires. I hate to think that this will be the "new normal", but I'm afraid that's the truth. All those fires, of course, contribute to the greenhouse gases in the atmosphere that are at the root of the problem.

This is exactly the situation that was predicted back around the early 70's, sometime; a warming of the global temperature that becomes exponential, a vicious circle set into motion, due to chronic wildfires set off by overly dry conditions, too-rapid snow meltoff, and so forth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 10:50 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I still find it odd that western WA doesn't have such a strong beetle problem, nor forest fires. But western WA has been getting a lot of rain, not snow that suddenly melts and washes away. Thank you for the info you posted. I find this very worrisome--this abnormal weather pattern. I'm afraid this is a harbinger of things to come. Has Vancouver been having heat waves since late spring?
pine beetles like pine trees. not cedar.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:56 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That is scary! The idea that people wouldn't be able to evacuate, because of a petrol shortage stemming from a rush on gasoline!

California now is going through a similar situation of multiple wildfires. I hate to think that this will be the "new normal", but I'm afraid that's the truth. All those fires, of course, contribute to the greenhouse gases in the atmosphere that are at the root of the problem.

This is exactly the situation that was predicted back around the early 70's, sometime; a warming of the global temperature that becomes exponential, a vicious circle set into motion, due to chronic wildfires set off by overly dry conditions, too-rapid snow meltoff, and so forth.
California has had a history of wild fires for the past many years. This is nothing new.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:28 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,048,844 times
There have been wildfires in western North America since forever. Why is every lightning strike, weather anomaly or fire a product of climate change?

Old 07-13-2017, 01:06 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
There have been wildfires in western North America since forever. Why is every lightning strike, weather anomaly or fire a product of climate change?
Because it promotes the liberal political agenda.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:26 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
California has had a history of wild fires for the past many years. This is nothing new.

I'm wondering what your point is. Wildfires have certainly never been anything new for California which is so much further south and drier and hotter. BC has a history of annual wildfires too, there's nothing new about that either. But what's been happening to exacerbate them and cause them to be so much more fierce and widespread in the past 15 years deviates from what has been standard. It's an anomaly for BC which is also a hell of a lot bigger than California and it has a lot more natural resources at risk to lose, as well as livelihoods. We don't take wildfires lightly up here and I sure hope you aren't making light of the wildfires that have been happening in California.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:49 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Because it promotes the liberal political agenda.
I know anti-liberal types hate facts because they get int the way of THEIR agenda.

"The length of the fire season has also grown throughout the last four decades, with large fires igniting earlier in the spring and later in the autumn than previously, and burning for longer. In the period between 2003 and 2012, the average burn time for individual fires was 52 days. In the 1973-1982 period, it was just six days."

Wildfires in West have gotten bigger, more frequent and longer since the 1980s

https://www.theguardian.com/news/dat...getting-longer

Old 07-14-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I know anti-liberal types hate facts because they get int the way of THEIR agenda.

"The length of the fire season has also grown throughout the last four decades, with large fires igniting earlier in the spring and later in the autumn than previously, and burning for longer. In the period between 2003 and 2012, the average burn time for individual fires was 52 days. In the 1973-1982 period, it was just six days."

Wildfires in West have gotten bigger, more frequent and longer since the 1980s

https://www.theguardian.com/news/dat...getting-longer

Can't rep you again yet, but good finds. And spot on about people with their anti-this-and-that agendas.

It boggles my mind that there are still many people in denialism over what they know are serious problems occurring and yet they'll turn a blind eye or make up preposterous excuses and drivel about reality because the reality doesn't fit in with their own agenda of how they want things to be. Especially if the problems haven't effected them on a personal level yet but stand to be upsetting their personal apple-carts in the near future.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:49 AM

Thousands more of mass evacuees are on the road tonight and headed north from Williams Lake, Clinton, 150 Mile House, also Lakes Country north of Kelowna and now Kelowna too. A firefighter helicopter went down in the Chilcotin County area tonight, the pilot is alive in serious condition in hospital, the helicopter is toast. Sustained high winds have whipped up across the province and are fanning fire tornadoes to leap across roads and boundaries. It's a flaming mess. Still no 'real' rain in the forecast but there's a Pacific cold front coming in tonight from the northwest and maybe a few sprinkles in some locations for a few hours.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-16-2017 at 12:59 AM..

Old 07-17-2017, 07:45 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
There are air quality alerts in Calgary from BC fires - even healthy people should not exercise outside. People are advised to use the recycle setting on air conditioning in vehicles and to to keep windows and doors closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada