Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 12:21 PM

193 posts, read 217,273 times

Advertisements

what's life like for visible minorities outside of the major cities (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Winnipeg) in Canada? is there racism, discrimination in terms of getting jobs, dating, etc?

I'm talking about smaller cities like London, Kelowna, Halifax, Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo, Kingston (ON), Saskatoon, etc.

I'm a minority and i have lived in a non-diverse mid-sized city in the US and when I visited Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver, I was really shocked by the diversity and the sheer number of foreign-born population. At least in the inner core of these cities, it felt like not one ethnic group dominated the other in numbers and it felt very pluralistic.

back in the US, if you're not in the large cities in the West Coast, the Northeast, Chicago, people are not as PC. I wouldn't say racist per se, but just less aware and less sensitive in terms of what they say, because they are not used to living with other races. is it pretty much the same thing in Canada as well, if you go to smaller cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 01:36 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,456,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesse View Post
people are not as PC. I wouldn't say racist per se, but just less aware and less sensitive in terms of what they say, because they are not used to living with other races. is it pretty much the same thing in Canada as well, if you go to smaller cities?
The same in Nova Scotia.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:22 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,501,841 times
You should be fine. There are racist people everywhere and you may stumble into them, but for the most part that isn't much of a problem with smaller sized cities.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:51 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,734,474 times
Quote:

back in the US...
NO, please. Not this again. We are not interested in "back in the US". Don't do US vs. Canada.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:53 AM

Quote:
I visited Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver...., it felt like not one ethnic group dominated the other in numbers and it felt very pluralistic.
really? In Vancouver, you didn't feel like one ethnic group dominating others?

Old 07-25-2017, 11:32 AM

193 posts, read 217,273 times
well the US is the only country that I have lived in that is similar enough to be compared to Canada. It's my point of reference. Nothing more, nothing less. Unfortunately, I haven't been to places like Australia or the Netherlands.

and Vancouver is not diverse, as in it's either white or East Asian. i get that.
But it still holds true that white people don't outnumber the Asian people. nor vice versa. so, that's what i meant by one ethnic group not dominating another.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:49 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,531,619 times
It really depends on what your threshhold is for "few". I think most people would consider less than 5% of a population being visible minorities for there to be few, and there are lots of places like that.

I haven't personally spent long living in places like that, but my friends who are visible minorities and moved to such places report that they didn't encounter much overt racism and integrated easily into the communities, but some have reported that they are often reminded, in little ways, almost every day, that they look different from everyone else. A comment here, a comment there, being "the asian one" rather than the the short one, or the one with the glasses, or the foodie etc. It can be a bit alienating, but it isn't really that severe of an issue for any of them, they've all elected to remain in these communities they chose for themselves. Discrimination that would affect getting a job, or being allowed to join a club or anything like that is non-existent. There's probably some dating discrimination at a personal level, but that probably exists everywhere, and the ones who were single seem not to have had too much trouble getting romantic partners since they all ended up dating people at some point.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-29-2017 at 06:00 PM..

Old 07-25-2017, 12:58 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
well the US is the only country that I have lived in that is similar enough to be compared to Canada. It's my point of reference. Nothing more, nothing less. Unfortunately, I haven't been to places like Australia or the Netherlands.

and Vancouver is not diverse, as in it's either white or East Asian. i get that.
But it still holds true that white people don't outnumber the Asian people. nor vice versa. so, that's what i meant by one ethnic group not dominating another.
We've had this discussion before on CD. Diversity doesn't just go by skin colour. Whites populations can be very diverse. A white immigrant from Russia is quite different than a white immigrant from the US for example.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
We've had this discussion before on CD. Diversity doesn't just go by skin colour. Whites populations can be very diverse. A white immigrant from Russia is quite different than a white immigrant from the US for example.
For Americans everything is about race, race, race. From police to politics to toilet to music, everything is about race. It is sickening.

More funny: when they talk about race, it is always about blacks and hispanics, as if other people didn't exist in the US.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:01 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,371,425 times
I honestly don't find people any more or less bigoted outside large cities than in them. I'm not trying to be a Pollyanna either... people in large cities are more used to being around diverse immigrant communities, this is true, and maybe are more aware of international customs, and that kind of thing. But, I think there are quite a lot of people down east, at least, who are willing to make the effort to try to be friendly to newcomers.

There have been immigrants from many places around the world for decades now, even in the Maritimes, which seems to come as a surprise to some people from The Big City. The Maritimes have had immigrants from around the world for some time now, just in smaller numbers. They do exist, though. Children of immigrants from major cities come to the Maritimes to study, or to settle down. So it isn't as though the life or culture in the Maritimes hasn't changed at all since 1867, stereotypes aside.

I think the most difficult part of adapting to life outside major cities is twofold: a) living apart from large immigrant communities, like Toronto, and b) the lack of economic diversity in many rural areas. For a newcomer, there are advantages to living in a major city where you can network with hundreds, or thousands, of people with the same background. And if you live in a rural area, your career choices are somewhat restricted in contrast with what goes on in major cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada