Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 09:55 AM

5 posts, read 4,101 times

Advertisements

Hello all - this seems like a bunch of friendly and helpful forum-folk!
I have some questions, necessitated by my deep terror of the current president somehow winning re-election -- and my only son turning 18 a year later. I am very worried about war prospects; he would have to register for Selective Service, and I'm just not risking his safety. So I'm starting to think about Plan B, and we are really only about three years from it.

Background: I am currently 53; my husband is five years older. He is self-employed and I work in communications. I have dual US-Australian citizenship. My husband's daughters are dual US-Canadian citizens. One lives there currently; the other is in the US.

Even with our ages, I would think our familial connections would get us into the country to live, yes? The daughter could sponsor us?

Would we have to have job offers in that case? Or is that only for straight-up immigration with no "connections"?

Thanks very much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 09:57 AM

130,255 posts, read 12,099,804 times
I would not let the current idiot in the WH dictate my life.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:20 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaescape View Post
I have some questions, necessitated by my deep terror of the current president somehow winning re-election -- and my only son turning 18 a year later. I am very worried about war prospects; he would have to register for Selective Service, and I'm just not risking his safety. So I'm starting to think about Plan B, and we are really only about three years from it.

Background: I am currently 53; my husband is five years older. He is self-employed and I work in communications. I have dual US-Australian citizenship. My husband's daughters are dual US-Canadian citizens. One lives there currently; the other is in the US.

Even with our ages, I would think our familial connections would get us into the country to live, yes? The daughter could sponsor us?

Would we have to have job offers in that case? Or is that only for straight-up immigration with no "connections"?

Take a deep breath and keep going with your life...nothing is going to happen...Trump is not worth the uprooting of your family and starting in a new country.

No one of the so called celebrities that threatened to move to Canada has actually moved....

Old 07-26-2017, 11:06 AM

5 posts, read 4,101 times
It's not from some deluded sense of political outrage. It's very real fear about my son. I'm not at all interested in making any kind of statement. I would just like a Plan B, just in case, and for that I would like the answers to a couple of questions, that's all.
Maybe I should've just asked the questions and forgone the intro. Can we forget I mentioned that?

Old 07-26-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
It's not from some deluded sense of political outrage. It's very real fear about my son. I'm not at all interested in making any kind of statement. I would just like a Plan B, just in case, and for that I would like the answers to a couple of questions, that's all.
Maybe I should've just asked the questions and forgone the intro. Can we forget I mentioned that?

Sorry but still you are way way over worried about the whole thing (I may dare to say irrationally worried, please do not take offense)...the US has an all volunteer armed forces since the early 1970s and that is not going to change...we are never going to see a draft again, standing armies are not the way modern warfare is conducted.
You have nothing to worry about and your son has more likely a brighter economic future in the US. Stay where you are....

Last edited by saturno_v; 07-26-2017 at 12:43 PM..

Old 07-26-2017, 12:54 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
You had the misfortune to start a thread asking a reasonable question right at the time another topic doing nothing but the "denigrating" of Canada has run a full 70 odd pages. You'd think they could have made their point adequately enough with far fewer posts but I guess if the ammunition is weaker you have to use more of it.

Others will be along shortly to provide links and info without the obligatory "shame lecture".

Old 07-26-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You had the misfortune to start a thread asking a reasonable question right at the time another topic doing nothing but the "denigrating" of Canada has run a full 70 odd pages. You'd think they could have made their point adequately enough with far fewer posts but I guess if the ammunition is weaker you have to use more of it.

Others will be along shortly to provide links and info without the obligatory "shame lecture".
Nobody denigrated anything...I would have provided the same answer and advice if she wanted to move anywhere else.....gosh your have a thin skin....

Old 07-26-2017, 01:08 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
If Plan-A moving to Canada doesnt work out Plan-B might be having your son move to Australia as a citizen by descent,.=Citizenship by descent - summary

Old 07-26-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:

It is always good to have your son getting the Australian passport...that is easy to do and nice to have many options in the future.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:17 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:

It's too late to forget that you mentioned it. You need to start thinking more clearly and don't get into a panic. My suggestions:

Come to Canada only because you love Canada and want to come live in Canada because you love it so very, very much and want to be assets to Canada, contributing to Canadian society and economy. Don't try to do it because you are afraid of the temporary goofus in the American white house right now. That is a very bad reason to want to uproot your entire family and leave what is essentially a really great country and a good friend and neighbour to Canada. You are not the first residents of America to want to move to Canada for the same bad reasons and you should not let your fears over-ride your good judgement.

No offense intended but I must add this, that it also happens to be a disqualifier to acceptance to immigrate to Canada. Canada doesn't want immigrants from USA who are afraid of what they are imagining might happen in USA and only want to come here to use Canada as any old closest port in a storm until the storm blows over. It would cause Canadians to look down on you if they knew the real reasons for you wanting to move to Canada is not because you want Canada but because you don't want what you already have.

If you are so worried about what you think might happen with your son in 3 years then send your son on his own NOW to his sister in Canada to finish his high school education and prepare him for university in Canada. He'll get a much, much better education in Canada than he will in USA anyway and while he's here being educated that will be a HUGE door opener for him to apply for permanent residency in Canada with his sister sponsoring him. When he becomes a permanent resident and has lived and worked in Canada for the required length of time after his graduation he can apply for Canadian citizenship if he wishes and would have dual citizenship. You would have the added benefit knowing that your son would be safe and both your son and his sister can be sponsors to you and your husband if you decide you would both LOVE to come live in Canada for Canada's sake and for your own affection and admiration towards it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada