Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 08:59 AM

13 posts, read 55,789 times

Advertisements

This thread is very interesting. My partner and I are also looking to emmigrate from the UK and as my partner is in IT (software development) (I'm in social work), we were also considering the usual Calgary/Vancouver/Toronto route. I'm really glad people have mentioned Halifax, as it's a beautiful city and I'd love to live there. But like the poster had reservations about developer employment.

Let us know how you get on with the PNP route if you decide to move there as we're looking to that route too instead of the 4 yr skilled worker wait list!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 05:42 PM

354 posts, read 1,078,665 times
Wow.....I'm amazed that it's that long of a wait for the skilled worker route! Crazy, eh!

I totally agree with Canada-Dave, like I said in previous posts! Halifax to me is a hands down winner.....and NB is a close second! (the only reason it's second is because they don't have a very big aerospace industry there and my husband is aerospace) I grew up in Moncton, NB and LOVED it! We have a summer home in Shediac, NB area and I spend the summers every year with the kids because the "way of life"......"the people"........"safety"......and soooo many other factors can't be described in writing. You have to experience it to understand what it's like to live there. I feel totally safe letting my kids run around the neighbourhood and KNOW they are as safe as they can be.

I totally forgot about the Irvings! Don't know how........since they own most of NB and parts of Maine! haha
Canada-Dave is right!! I know a lot of people who came to Moncton to work for the Irving Tissue plant. Some were IT, Engineers, Accountants, etc.
He hires quite a few Americans and other nationalities.....so the last post from the UK......you might also be interested in that route.
The Irvings pay is competitive from what I hear, and like we have said before the paycheck isn't everything!!........there are some things.......money can't buy!!

If you are wondering why I'm so in love with the Maritimes but am living in the States......well......it's a short term solution.......to get us BACK to the Maritimes in the near future!

Old 03-26-2008, 07:32 PM

24 posts, read 155,790 times
AcadianIrish, WinterFan is referring to the 4 year long wait for skilled worker immigrants in the UK applying through the Consulate in London. The Consulate in Buffalo where I applied has a wait of about 2 years. The PNP process takes approximately a year (6 months for the PNP nomination & 6 months for CIC approval). I chose the federal skilled worker since 2 years is not that long (to me) and I can settle anywhere in Canada I prefer. WinterFan and others from the UK should definitely consider the PNP especially if he wants to get to Canada sooner than 4 years and locate in Nova Scotia.

WinterFan, you may want to chat with other Brits who experienced the NS PNP route over at britishexpats.com

Old 04-03-2008, 09:06 AM

53 posts, read 145,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcadianIrish View Post
Maritimers aren't too worried about "keeping up the Jones". It's actually a nice refreshing change if you are a down to earth person who just likes to enjoy life, laugh and have fun. You will meet some of the friendliest people in your life in the Maritimes.......(but I'm a little biased!) haha
I'm so glad to hear this! It's one of the things we want to get away from if we move from the US. Tell me more about the people of Halifax and N.S.!

VV

Old 04-03-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada_Dave View Post

And I could go on and on... there are opportunites other then Toronto- although those in Ontario may try to convince you we do not exist out east.

Where is the best place on the internet to find job opportunities in Nova Scotia?

Old 04-03-2008, 01:17 PM

Violetvale,
The Maritime provinces don't get talked about much as far as this forum goes.......but that is probably a good thing. I grew up in Moncton, New Brunswick and visited Halifax, NS regularly since it's only a 2 1/2 hour drive from Moncton, NB.

I've lived in many Canadian and US cities (currently living in Seattle). I would live in Halifax in a heartbeat if it was a good choice for my husband's career but right now it is not an option. We have a summer home at the beach in New Brunswick though and I spend my entire summers there with our children. We love the lifestyle so much we figured if we can't have it full time......we will settle for at least the summers.

Maritime living can't be described in writing. Just think of living in a place....that is about as safe as you will find on earth. Every place has it's share of problems and has crime, but comparing to other cities in the US and Canada....the Maritime crime feels like elementary stuff.
The people who live there really make the experience unique. Most Maritimes are not phoney people. They have a great sense of humour and don't take themselves or life too seriously. They have a "live and let live" mentality.
Most are very humble and live modestly. They are worried more about being happy and having good relationships with people than having nicer "things".

This is a generalization so of course not everyone you meet will fit that description, but that is the overall vibe of the Maritime provinces. (the Maritimes provinces are considered New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI and NFLD & LBR)

As for your other questions about jobs in Halifax and how to find them.......I'm not sure of the best places to look. Someone else might be able to answer that one better! Good luck with your decision!

Old 04-03-2008, 01:23 PM

I should add........when I said that Maritimes live modestly....I didn't mean that everyone lives in shacks! LOL
There are plenty of people with nice homes, new vehicles, etc.......we like all those nice things too........We just don't go into major debt like a lot people in the USA to get these things. We figure.......if you can afford it.....GREAT....good for you! If you can't......then......we don't think less of you. You would tend to find very rich hanging around with less rich people.....because they like each other. Not because of what they have.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcadianIrish View Post
I should add........when I said that Maritimes live modestly....I didn't mean that everyone lives in shacks! LOL
There are plenty of people with nice homes, new vehicles, etc.......we like all those nice things too........We just don't go into major debt like a lot people in the USA to get these things. We figure.......if you can afford it.....GREAT....good for you! If you can't......then......we don't think less of you. You would tend to find very rich hanging around with less rich people.....because they like each other. Not because of what they have.
This is just the type of place we'd like. We HATE the disparity of wealth we see in the US. Gas guzzling premium cars just irk us to no end. We see more American brand cars in Canada than we do in America. Sure, we like our newer cars, but they are mid-size Pontiacs and Chevys and Fords than BMWs (grrr). We would like a place that still has a thriving middle class, not the rich wannabes that we see here. And where any parking attendent or struggling artist still has access to excellent health care.

Do you know of any of Canada forums? Maybe one where more maritimers frequent?

Thanks!!

VV

Old 04-03-2008, 02:28 PM

Well, you certainly sound the like type of people who would appreciate what the Maritimes has to offer!

Try this website.....Halifax Nova Scotia Canada | Sharing the Best of Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
I haven't gone on it myself except for a quick review. Looks like it has some forums on there. Perhaps if you get on one of those forums they could direct to you more forums, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada