Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 12:21 PM

676 posts, read 961,294 times

Advertisements

Reverse the scenario. You're an Anglophone in say, Vancouver, who also happens to speak French. A Francophone approaches you and starts a conversation in English but it's clear that French is their best language. You decide to be "nice" and "accommodating" (and you want to show off your French skills!!) and you respond to them in French.

Doesn't seem so bad, does it? Frustrating if you're trying to learn English? Obviously. But hard to say there are any bad intentions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 12:41 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ever think that maybe the francophones who switch to English might want to practise their second language too?
That was my first thought too.

I remember when I first moved to Montreal in the 1970s and made friends with someone in my apartment building. I was eager to improve my French. However, she had been raised in rural Quebec and only started trying to speak English three years earlier when she moved to the city.

She specifically asked if we could speak in English. She needed to improve her English to get a better job in her company. I was disappointed but her need was greater than mine and I was her only English Canadian friend.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:54 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
After a generation of abiding by the rigorous doctrines of Bill 101 and the gestapo like behavior of the language police we Anglos the apparent dominators and suppressors of the francophone culture now are expected to give free English lessons to francophones? You want to learn English? dial 9
https://results.searchlock.com/searc...e&chnm=natural

Old 08-07-2017, 02:34 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanVoilou View Post
I've been in Canada since the late 90s, as my parents migrated here. I come from an Italian family from the south of Italy and i've been always talking Italian at home, as well as in my entourage. Here in Toronto we have a very big Italian community and most italians come in this area when they migrate from Europe so it wasn't that easy for me to learn English at the school and I still do various mistakes, specially when I write. To make it funnier, most of my schoolmates were Italian Canadians. Besides, where I work I have to use always the English language but I still have a pretty strong Italian accent on me.
I read your post with an Italian accent. It's lovely. Yes, there are mistakes in your writing but they're charming.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:39 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ever think that maybe the francophones who switch to English might want to practise their second language too?
Sure so then maybe we should take turns!

Old 08-07-2017, 03:41 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
Reverse the scenario. You're an Anglophone in say, Vancouver, who also happens to speak French. A Francophone approaches you and starts a conversation in English but it's clear that French is their best language. You decide to be "nice" and "accommodating" (and you want to show off your French skills!!) and you respond to them in French.

Doesn't seem so bad, does it? Frustrating if you're trying to learn English? Obviously. But hard to say there are any bad intentions...
Except I would not respond in French because they did not speak to me in French even if I could speak the language... so it's a moot point.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:30 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
If someone stops me to ask where something is, or for directions, and is clearly new to English, I will automatically switch to their language. I never thought about anyone trying to practise English. For many years you could almost take it for granted that older women especially, of a certain age, would have very poor English even if they were born here as usually they had been homemakers and had had no need for English. That generation is dying out but in the last twenty years a new generation of immigrants has taken their place and they ARE finding it necessary to know English.

That led to a big misunderstanding once, when an older woman stopped me in a grocery store and asked me to show her where the n-word (Yes, THAT n word!) was. I automatically said, "Pardon me?" Which probably came out in an astonished squeak. And she repeated it, enunciating very carefully. I was speechless for a moment, staring at her in what must have been horror, wondering how I tell an old racist lady off when suddenly it registered that English was not her usual language. So then I asked her in my first language, which it was safe to assume was also her usual language, how she would say that in Low German.

The upshot was that she was looking for vinegar. I think she had asked someone how to say 'vinegar' in English and repeated it to herself many times and in the process lost the first part of he word.

I was very relieved to help her. I did not tell her what she had said.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:12 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanVoilou View Post
haha, thanks man, in fact it's like an added value for some girls when they hear my accent.
I've had an Italian boyfriend. It's valuable... until it isn't anymore.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:32 AM

676 posts, read 961,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Except I would not respond in French because they did not speak to me in French even if I could speak the language... so it's a moot point.
Then you're a very special person.

Clearly, a lot of people would do so.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:38 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,026,310 times
Especially since a lot of francophones don't speak English. Even in the Montreal area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada