Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 07:49 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,914,654 times

Advertisements

I am genuinely interested in knowing how long Canadians feel they can go, before a massive Islamic attack. To date, the U.S., the U.K., France, Spain have all experienced massive attacks. Germany might need to be added to that list, in light of the New Years Eve incidents, but it's been difficult to tell because of the cover up that has taken place.
I think that any Westerner who feels that THEIR country will never be added to the above list is just ignoring reality and needs to be realistic. So my question is: do you think Canada can go another year? Two years? Ten years? Until the inevitable happens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 08:15 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,373,899 times
The Parliament Hill shootings a year ago weren't "real" enough for you? A soldier shot to death at the National War Memorial (plus another soldier who was struck by a car and killed in a similar violent act in Quebec a few days prior)... a firefight inside the Parliament building's main entrance, where the suspect is killed, immediately outside the doors of the caucus rooms where the government and the official opposition party were meeting...?? That didn't make an impression on you down in Maine?

If you're hoping for more casualties, or different landmarks, I have to say, I don't hope for the same.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
The Parliament Hill shootings a year ago weren't "real" enough for you? A soldier shot to death at the National War Memorial (plus another soldier who was struck by a car and killed in a similar violent act in Quebec a few days prior)... a firefight inside the Parliament building's main entrance, where the suspect is killed, immediately outside the doors of the caucus rooms where the government and the official opposition party were meeting...?? That didn't make an impression on you down in Maine?

If you're hoping for more casualties, or different landmarks, I have to say, I don't hope for the same.

Fair enough. I consider those attacks of medium level, terroristically speaking. Quite a few Western countries have experienced a similar level of jihad. But to date, Canada has escaped the mass casualty attacks. To date!

Last edited by maineguy8888; 01-09-2016 at 10:59 PM..

Old 01-09-2016, 10:15 PM

3,630 posts, read 3,420,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Fair enough. I consider those attacks of medium level, terroristically speaking. Quite a few Western countries have experienced a similar level of jihad. But do date, Canada has escaped the mass casualty attacks. To date!
Not that the terrorists haven't tried. The so-called Toronto 18 certainly wanted to, but were stopped by authorities before they could carry out their plans:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_O...terrorism_plot

From the link:

Quote:
They were accused of planning to detonate truck bombs, to open fire in a crowded area, and to storm the Canadian Broadcasting Centre, the Canadian Parliament building, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) headquarters, and the parliamentary Peace Tower to take hostages and to behead the Prime Minister and other leaders.
More recently, there was the VIA Rail Canada terrorism plot, where two guys with links to Middle Eastern terrorist groups planned to blow up a passenger train:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_V...terrorism_plot

From the link:

Quote:
The 2013 Via Rail Canada terrorism plot was a conspiracy to commit terrorist acts in and against Canada in the form of disruption, destruction or derailment of trains operated by Canada's national passenger railway service, Via Rail Canada.
They didn't succeed; again, the would-be terrorists were stopped by authorities before they could do anything.

You are correct when you say, "To date, Canada has escaped the mass casualty attacks." But that is because we have managed to stop them before they start.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:49 PM

7,682 posts, read 5,541,155 times
On 9/11 there were over 200 planes bound for the U.S. which could not be turned back. The U.S. feared some could be destructive missiles and asked Canada to allow the planes to land here instead.

If the U.S. fears had turned out to be true, we could have had mass casualties on 9/11 as well.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:01 PM

Good points all. But Canada HAS stopped all attempts at mass attacks. Or it has been simply lucky.
But can this go on forever?? I would highly doubt it. One hates to think about it, but it could be tomorrow morning that we all wake up to hear that thousands have been slaughtered. Or any day.
Do Canadians feel they have tons of time??

Old 01-09-2016, 11:30 PM

3,630 posts, read 3,420,935 times
Quote:
Good points all. But Canada HAS stopped all attempts at mass attacks. Or it has been simply lucky.
But can this go on forever?? I would highly doubt it. One hates to think about it, but it could be tomorrow morning that we all wake up to hear that thousands have been slaughtered. Or any day.
I don't think Canada has been lucky; instead, I think it uses its intelligence appropriately. Infiltrations are made, and intelligence is gathered, and things get heard about in the moderate Muslim communities (which cooperate with authorities), and passed along, and investigations are made, and plots are stopped.

It's not a perfect method, and never will be. There may well be a mass slaughter in Canada's future. But I think that as long as we have no wannabe-politician screaming, "No Muslims! No Muslims! No Muslims!", and being cheered by the people for such an approach, we will keep the cooperation and the trust of Canada's moderate Muslim community in helping us ferret out the radicals within the community and stopping them before they can act. In other words, a "We don't want you" message won't get you anything; while a "Little help?" message might get you something important.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Maineguy, in my opinion only, fear is ingrained in American culture e.g. fear of having individual rights taken away, fear that it is unsafe not to own a gun, fears triggered by 9/11, fears related to extremest political points of view where both right and left would prefer to tear the country apart than try to compromise.

Canada simply doesn't share that culture of fear. Heck, Canada became an independent nation in 1867 and we didn't get around to creating the Charter of Rights and Freedoms until 1982.

That probably seems as inexplicable to you as the choice to live in fear in the U.S. seems to me.

Last edited by cdnirene; 01-10-2016 at 12:00 AM..

Old 01-10-2016, 12:16 AM

I remember the Cuban Missile Crisis. Now that was terrifying. Nuclear war seemed a good possibility. I remember wondering if I would live long enough to become an adult.

That was the last time I lived in fear.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:44 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,074,648 times
Quote:
I hope you realize that's a really weird question, and one for which there is no answer.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada