Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 10:59 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,807 times

Advertisements

OP probably thinks things are not working in Canada - every new significant influx of of refugees probably makes it look like immigration/open borders is not working but that has been the case for the entire colonial and modern history of Canada and on a macro level it has worked and worked spectacularly well with no civil wars no dictatorships or blatant oppression. It has provided millions with a new life, better standard of living, healthcare and upward mobility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 01:29 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Hockey is a part of your culture. Or does multiculturalism mean each culture stays separate from one another and never learn about the other? Canada has many immigrants outside of Europe too. Or does multiculturalism only refer to european and caucasian cultures?
Anyone can play. There is nothing stopping new Canadians, except perhaps the cost. Hockey is expensive.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:33 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
No asian, or middle eastern.
In time there may be. Not everyone likes hockey, and different cultures within Canada gravitate to different sports generally. I know many Canadians that don't give a fig about hockey. Myself included. It doesn't make me less of a Canadian.

In the minor leagues you may get more of a mix.

http://www.wvmha.ca/wp/wp-content/up...r-1160x480.jpg

It's also not like people aren't trying to encourage them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvbVJeIqL5Q

Old 08-27-2017, 01:36 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
So what?
It goes along with my stating that hockey is not that multicultural in Canada.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:39 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
So is Canada going for lots of different separate cultures within its borders without ever assimilating? Do you guys believe in separate but equal? Do you have designated areas that you want every different group to reside in, and areas that they can mingle?

Old 08-27-2017, 03:28 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
No asian, or middle eastern.
Not baiting, honest question: Did the American hockey team at Sochi have any Asians or Middle Easterns?

Quote:
So is Canada going for lots of different separate cultures within its borders without ever assimilating? Do you guys believe in separate but equal? Do you have designated areas that you want every different group to reside in, and areas that they can mingle?
You're joking, right? The people in the igloo two ice-doors down from my igloo are Asian.

While some groups do tend to stick together in specific areas, that is not FORCED. Assimilation is encouraged. In the 1990s, I worked for a software company that employed 200+ people. It was amazing the spectrum of nationalities and cultures. We called the company "[Name] aka The United Nations." I learned about Ramadan, got hooked on Manakish Zaatar (Lebanese spiced bread), and made a wealth of friends that I would not have otherwise.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:56 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
What would be some signs that Canadian Multiculturalism is breaking down?

Old 08-27-2017, 07:06 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer View Post
If people who were born, raised or lived many years in Europe start to murder people they live with (in the name of Allah), commit honor killings because their daughters were dating "infidels", the refugees from the worst hellholes of the world (Somali, Afghanistan,...) who got a chance to start new life in tolerant society start to hack people with machetes, Imams in mosques preaching hatred - perhaps there is something wrong with the multiculturalism there.

Or do you think that is completely normal?

Just my opinion but what you described above doesn't have anything to do with multiculturalism as I understand it to be in Canada or in Europe. The events you describe are about a particular extremist religious cult declaring war on all other people of all cultures who are not members of that extremist religious cult. It's a religious war problem, not a multiculturalism problem.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:59 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckduck View Post
There is ethnic tension in Mississauga between Hindus and Muslims. Just saying..
This illustrates the fundamental flaw of multiculturalism. Not every one of the multiplicity of cultures involved gives a toss about multiculturalism.

Just because white, Anglo Canadians like multiculturalism does not mean that everyone else does.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:33 PM

295 posts, read 263,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
This illustrates the fundamental flaw of multiculturalism. Not every one of the multiplicity of cultures involved gives a toss about multiculturalism.

Just because white, Anglo Canadians like multiculturalism does not mean that everyone else does.
Anglo-canadians need multiculturalism for their prosperity, it does not mean they like it. Otherwise they would not be so insular and aloof towards newcomers. One of the reasons why immigrants segregate so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada