Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 06:33 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times

Advertisements

Why is that a problem?

In terms of nominal GDP, Canada ranks #10 currently. considering its ranking of #38 in population, Canada will be surpassed by more and more countries in the years to come. Isn't that a good thing?

For example, 40 years ago, China had a similar GDP as Canada. Today it is 8 times larger (with 35 times the population). If China never surpasses Canada. that means millions and millions of people would have to live under $1 a day, not being able to go to school or have medical services. Do we want a world like that simply because we can feel so superior?

China catches up with the US, Turkey catches up with Canada, Brazil surpasses France, India surpasses Japan, those are all good news because that means there is less poverty in the world. Or do we prefer a world where only a fraction of privilege rich countries offer a decent life?

I would prefer a world where every country with larger population has a higher GDP than Canada (assuming Canada is stable/growing, not because of the Argentine style decline).

Last edited by botticelli; 10-22-2017 at 06:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
What are you talking about. Those countries respect human rights in the exact same way we do. Women are as equal there as they are here. Gays stroll the streets holding hands with pride. How dare you, we are all the same!!!
The OP simply said some countries are growing faster than Canada (as they should). He didn't even insinuate "oh, it is better to live in Turkey or Iran", why are you guys so insecure and have to resort to bashing other countries?

Who DOESN'T know living standard is better than Canada and you need to teach us?

Old 10-22-2017, 07:32 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
The OP simply said some countries are growing faster than Canada (as they should). He didn't even insinuate "oh, it is better to live in Turkey or Iran", why are you guys so insecure and have to resort to bashing other countries?

Who DOESN'T know living standard is better than Canada and you need to teach us?
Perhaps it was a bit of a dumb question to begin with.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Perhaps it was a bit of a dumb question to begin with.
The OP didn't even ask a question, just present some facts.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:36 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Quote:

My response was too a comment made by Brusan. Do we not also not have a right to make a comment? Why is that YOU always have a chip on your shoulder towards western countries and pretty much everyone else? I see you on the Asia fourm being rude to everyone when you don't agree with them. Why do YOU always feel the need to be so condescending to everyone? I am not the one floating around forum to forum being a prick.

At the end of the day, Brusans point is valid, who cares about others countries GDP, our living standards is what is most important. Calm down take a deep breath.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
My response was too a comment made by Brusan. Do we not also not have a right to make a comment? Why is that YOU always have a chip on your shoulder towards western countries and pretty much everyone else? I see you on the Asia fourm being rude to everyone when you don't agree with them. Why do YOU always feel the need to be so condescending to everyone? I am not the one floating around forum to forum being a prick.

At the end of the day, Brusans point is valid, who cares about others countries GDP, our living standards is what is most important. Calm down take a deep breath.
I do not have a chip on my shoulder towards western countries. I lived in 3 of them and I love them. I only have a problem with people (western or not) who think western anything is so superior to non-western, which is often displayed on this forum.

At the end of the day, it is GOOD news that Canada GDP is surpassed by countries with much larger population. It is a sign of progress because that means other countries are less poorer. Whether Canadians cares or not is irrelevant.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:29 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Quote:
. I only have a problem with people (western or not) who think western anything is so superior to non-western,
Please, from your arrogant comments you clearly feel superior to others and feel the need to teach us. Don't be a hypocrite. I have seen you make very rude comments towards westerners.

Quote:
Whether Canadians cares or not is irrelevant.
If Canadians care or not is so irrelevant, why do you care so much? Because you clearly have a chip on your shoulder.

Old 10-22-2017, 08:56 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
And I will stand by my post as attempting to make the point: judging a country's relevance or selfworthiness by it's GDP is utterly stupid.

Any number of factors have a greater 'rubber-hitting-the-road' effect upon the individual living within a country than it's GDP standing.

I still believe, that given a choice MORE Iranians and Turks would opt to move to Canada than the obverse and they would probably make that decision based upon anything other than the published GDP ratings.

This, in no way is intended to imply it is my belief all Turks and Iraniains are lining up to get to Canada........in before Botti deduces that as the empirical.

Old 10-22-2017, 09:28 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
I do not have a chip on my shoulder towards western countries. I lived in 3 of them and I love them. I only have a problem with people (western or not) who think western anything is so superior to non-western, which is often displayed on this forum.
I will fully admit my western bias but seriously, I will still say without any doubt whatsoever that Canada is a better place to live than Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Iran for the vast majority of people.

We can have a debate about Canada vs. China, Japan, Korea and even certain countries in Latin America and Africa if you want, but in certain cases like the ones above the argument of "equivalency" becomes ridiculous when people claim it's just because I don't understand their culture...

Old 10-22-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And I will stand by my post as attempting to make the point: judging a country's relevance or selfworthiness by it's GDP is utterly stupid.

Any number of factors have a greater 'rubber-hitting-the-road' effect upon the individual living within a country than it's GDP standing.

I still believe, that given a choice MORE Iranians and Turks would opt to move to Canada than the obverse and they would probably make that decision based upon anything other than the published GDP ratings.

This, in no way is intended to imply it is my belief all Turks and Iraniains are lining up to get to Canada........in before Botti deduces that as the empirical.
of course not based on GDP standing... but it has a lot to do with per capita GDP standing. You don't see a lot of Qataris or Singaporeans anxious about moving to Canada, or any western country for that matter. If China's per capita GDP is 50K instead of 8k, I am sure A LOT fewer of them would want to immigrate to Canada too.

Of course it is not the only factor, but it is one of the most important factor.

On the other hand, a country's relevance is largely determined by its GDP, whether you admit it or not. For example, today's China is no more free or democratic (based on western standard) than 1996, but all western countries take it a LOT more seriously today than 20 years ago. Just look at proud UK - it is pretty much bending its knees to woo Chinese business and investment, and no "dalai lama” meeting for quite some time, while before they did it whenever they it pleased them. Do you think UK and the US think Sweden or New Zealand are more relevant than China? At the end of the day, even western countries are more keen on money than anything else, and let's not pretend otherwise. It applies to Iran or Turkey as well... when they are economically big enough, they are more relevant, no matter how backwards they are compared with Finland.

This is why GDP standing matters, big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada