Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 07:01 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times

Advertisements

Did you notice the announcer in Half Wits was Johnny Ola? Godfather II reference?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2017, 07:27 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Did you notice the announcer in Half Wits was Johnny Ola? Godfather II reference?
I missed that! lol.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:39 PM

384 posts, read 272,765 times
Definition, Bumper Stumpers, Pitfall, $40,000 Chain Reaction, Talkabout. Those are some of the Canadian game shows I remember from growing up close to the border.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:41 PM

384 posts, read 272,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Bumper Stumpers, the worst game show ever devised.
Decent show, and helped me read vanity plates. Al DuBois was a good host and interacted well with the contestants. Wonder what he's up to these days?

Old 02-01-2018, 02:47 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Also, many Anglo-Canadian game shows pretend to be American even though they're Canadian. Bumper Stumpers was like this. The guests seemed to be trained to say zee and not zed and to avoid any references to Canada.

-Our first contestant is Bill. Tell us about yourself Bill.

- Well, I'm an investment banker in a major North American city..."
Didn't happen. I can say that as a Bumper Stumpers contestant.

A past girlfriend got the game show bug, and we appeared on both Bumper Stumpers (taped at Global TV studios in Don Mills, Ontario) and Definition (taped at CTV studios in Scarborough, Ontario). At no point, were we coached to avoid any references to Canada. The show hosts worded their questions so any mention of Canada could be edited out later:

Host: Let's meet our next team, Bob and Liz. [Applause] Bob, great to meet you. What do you do?
Me: I'm a technical writer in Toronto. [They edited out the "in Toronto" part.]
Host: Technical writer? So you ... ?
Me: I write the manuals that nobody ever reads.
Host: [Laughs.] Let's talk to Liz....

Note that I'm using pseudonyms in the above. My name is not Bob, and my then-girlfriend's name is not Liz.

We weren't great game show contestants, sad to say. But we did get the "lovely parting gifts," which in each case, were wristwatches, that at retail, were about $200 apiece. Better than Rice-a-Roni!

Old 02-01-2018, 02:52 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Didn't happen. I can say that as a Bumper Stumpers contestant.

A past girlfriend got the game show bug, and we appeared on both Bumper Stumpers (taped at Global TV studios in Don Mills, Ontario) and Definition (taped at CTV studios in Scarborough, Ontario). At no point, were we coached to avoid any references to Canada. The show hosts worded their questions so any mention of Canada could be edited out later:

Host: Let's meet our next team, Bob and Liz. [Applause] Bob, great to meet you. What do you do?
Me: I'm a technical writer in Toronto. [They edited out the "in Toronto" part.]
Host: Technical writer? So you ... ?
Me: I write the manuals that nobody ever reads.
Host: [Laughs.] Let's talk to Liz....

Note that I'm using pseudonyms in the above. My name is not Bob, and my then-girlfriend's name is not Liz.

We weren't great game show contestants, sad to say. But we did get the "lovely parting gifts," which in each case, were wristwatches, that at retail, were about $200 apiece. Better than Rice-a-Roni!
I swear to God I've heard people say that "major North American city" thing on game shows.

I guess people were just self-censoring their Canadianity!

Old 02-01-2018, 04:06 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
I swear to God I've heard people say that "major North American city" thing on game shows.

Perhaps your memory is kind of half remembering? What I've heard on game shows is " I work for a major ...."

Old 02-01-2018, 04:39 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,091 times
I remember a show airing on the early 90s on Global where the panel would get an object and they'd have to make up a story about where it came from /what it was and the contestant would guess which was right. Filmed in Vancouver. Anybody remember it?

Old 02-01-2018, 07:01 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:

Oh, I sure you did hear it, and probably more than once. I was just pointing out that we weren't coached to avoid references to Canada, its cities, or anything Canadian. A good editor could get rid of any if they did pop up.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:24 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
I remember a show airing on the early 90s on Global where the panel would get an object and they'd have to make up a story about where it came from /what it was and the contestant would guess which was right. Filmed in Vancouver. Anybody remember it?
Found it! The New Liars Club. I remember Shannon Tweed from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada