Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 06:41 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,711,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh right; it has to be Canada thinking it's superior.

"How naïve" is right Botti!

Sky-high Chinese tariffs block Canadian access to market - Business - CBC News

"It is incredibly frustrating that these policies which are very advantageous to China have really curtailed our ability to export to China,” he told CBC News."

"Chinese products face no such tariffs as when they are imported to Canada, despite undercutting many Canadian-made goods."
China has huge trade deficit with Taiwan, Japan, South Korea and ASEAN countries. With Germany and Switzerland as well.

Australia and Brazil are resources based countries like Canada, and they have trade surplus with China. So I am not sure if the CBC news is completely objective. At least it is missing something.

China's Top Trading Partners
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 08:18 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,472,140 times
I don't think it has anything whatsoever to do with our economy being resource based or the "CBC article missing something".

Canada is a country of 35 million and as such would be on the list of those mentioned as largest trading partners with the rest if we were able to purchase items cheaper from China than with our nearest trading partner. Make sense?

Just one example; it took over five years of nonsense just to get the required permits to ship frozen beef to China.

https://www.southwesternontario.ca/c...beef-to-china/

"She received a licence from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency in 2013. But the biggest hurdle was getting certification from the Chinese government. It wasn’t until this year that the Chinese certifying body came to Canada and audited the plant."

China doesn't mind selling their stuff abroad but doesn't seem too eager to open it's markets..even to food they sorely need to feed their huge population.

Old 11-01-2017, 10:07 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,711,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I don't think it has anything whatsoever to do with our economy being resource based or the "CBC article missing something".

Canada is a country of 35 million and as such would be on the list of those mentioned as largest trading partners with the rest if we were able to purchase items cheaper from China than with our nearest trading partner. Make sense?

Just one example; it took over five years of nonsense just to get the required permits to ship frozen beef to China.

https://www.southwesternontario.ca/c...beef-to-china/

"She received a licence from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency in 2013. But the biggest hurdle was getting certification from the Chinese government. It wasn’t until this year that the Chinese certifying body came to Canada and audited the plant."

China doesn't mind selling their stuff abroad but doesn't seem too eager to open it's markets..even to food they sorely need to feed their huge population.
I was arguing against your comment that the fact Canada doesn't have significant trade with China was because high tariffs and that it is hard to export to China. Sure you can find instances of high barrier/red tapes but as I point out, so many countries, resource based (Australia, Brazil) or not resourced base (Korea, Switzerland, Germany, Japan) are able to maintain large trade surplus with China consistently. It is largely just the US that keeps whining about is trade deficit as if it is all China's fault. Now you are doing the same. I am not saying China doesn't have higher trade barriers, it certainly does, but that's not the whole story. Plenty of countries are able to have trad surplus despite that.

Trade barriers are also on both sides. For example, while the US complains about its deficit, it hardly mentions the fact that its own laws forbids exporting to China a lot of products involving high technologies (some are military while others are not). Those are a lot more expensive than socks and toys. Not sure if Canada does the same, but only a few years ago, the Ottawa decided to ban Chinese telecommunication companies from bidding in government projects (for no other reason than Washington did the same a day before). I guess the blame is on both sides.

China is not too eager to open its market. Is Canada? What happened when Verizon wanted to enter the Canada market a few years ago? As far as I know, French cheese is still a LOT more expensive in Canada (3x the price probably) due to nothing but high tariffs.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:52 PM

2,973 posts, read 1,971,529 times
September 2017
1. United States - 69.1%
2. European Union - 9.1%
3. China - 6.1%
4. Rest of the world - 15.7%

The U.S. lost another 0.3% in September 2017. The trend is stabilizing!

Old 11-10-2017, 07:19 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,263,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
September 2017
1. United States - 69.1%
2. European Union - 9.1%
3. China - 6.1%
4. Rest of the world - 15.7%

The U.S. lost another 0.3% in September 2017. The trend is stabilizing!
Good news.

Have to wean ourselves (gradually) off the USA. Not good to rely so much on one country.

In the long run Canada will be much better off.

It’s not an even playing field, never really was. But definitely worse now.

For example, looking at my box of Raisin Bran this morning,
I see “imported by Kellogg’s” ...probably from Battle Creek, Michigan...
in the old days...say 20 years ago ...that same box was from Kellogg’s in Rexdale, Ontario.
Same with Ketchup ....you name it, subtle...most Canadians don’t are probably not
even aware, lots of things that were made here in Canada not 8mported from USA,
great for Trump and his made in America....not so good for us.

Last edited by BMI; 11-10-2017 at 07:38 PM..

Old 12-17-2017, 09:04 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,971,529 times
Wow trade with the U.S. jumped to 69.8% in October 2017.
Canada is now more reliant on trade with the U.S.!

October 2017
1. United States - 69.8%
2. European Union - 9.2%
3. China - 5.9%
4. Rest of the world - 15.1%

Old 12-17-2017, 11:22 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,132,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalk View Post
Wow trade with the U.S. jumped to 69.8% in October 2017.
Canada is now more reliant on trade with the U.S.!

October 2017
1. United States - 69.8%
2. European Union - 9.2%
3. China - 5.9%
4. Rest of the world - 15.1%
No, it's your interpretation of statistics that is flawed, as pointed out by others in this thread so far. Given the high volatility in month-to-month estimates you need a moving average (and much more than 1 measly year of data) to say anything meaningful about trade statistics.

The report you think you are analyzing shows this well. Our "reliance" on the US seems to have increased when the benchmark is September 2017, but it decreased if the benchmark is October 2016. Does this really mean anything?

Old 12-17-2017, 06:04 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,488,135 times
None of these fluctuations really mean anything at this stage. If it drops below 60% it will start to become noticeable. Botticelli is right in saying that trade should top at 50% at the most. Above that is too much for any single country to hold. I’m glad that we have a strong relationship with our neighbour, but ideally it should be in the 40-50% range.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:41 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,222,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
None of these fluctuations really mean anything at this stage. If it drops below 60% it will start to become noticeable. Botticelli is right in saying that trade should top at 50% at the most. Above that is too much for any single country to hold. I’m glad that we have a strong relationship with our neighbour, but ideally it should be in the 40-50% range.
Get rid of NAFTA and it might decrease further.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:58 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,488,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Get rid of NAFTA and it might decrease further.
I don't really want it to decrease for the sake of it. I view it as a logical step in economic diversification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada