Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 02:41 AM

2 posts, read 1,222 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am Jewish descended musician from Romania "my father was 100% jew" and thinking to move to Canada to go throw conversion there.
how tolerant is the Canadian Jewish community to a newcomer convert? would they welcome me as a member of the Jewish family or I will be always the "new convert" especially that my husband is going for the conversion too "he's Jewish descended too from Egyptian / marocain family" so basically he's not looking europian if you know what I mean also where would be a good place to settle in Canada to be near the English speaking Jewish community ?
Regards .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 03:19 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
why do you have to tell people you are a new convert? It is not like the Jews have a specific look. Not all Jews are European.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:06 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodica View Post
Hi,
I am Jewish descended musician from Romania "my father was 100% jew" and thinking to move to Canada to go throw conversion there.
how tolerant is the Canadian Jewish community to a newcomer convert? would they welcome me as a member of the Jewish family or I will be always the "new convert" especially that my husband is going for the conversion too "he's Jewish descended too from Egyptian / marocain family" so basically he's not looking europian if you know what I mean also where would be a good place to settle in Canada to be near the English speaking Jewish community ?
Regards .
Hi. I am not Jewish, but do know a good amount about this topic.
There are large diverse jewish communities in Canada. Major cities like Toronto or Montreal do likely have the largest populations.

Jewish people in Toronto and the cities surrounding Toronto are all not from the same countries and don't physically look a like ex different skin colours, hair colours and cultural backrounds. I am certain you wont have any difficulty finding a jewish community in Toronto that will be excepting of new converts. There are lots of different Jewish circles ranging to reform to ultra orthodox. You would have to reach out to different groups and see which ones are the best fit for your and your husband. I have met lots Jewish people from all different parts of the world in Canada including Arab Jewish people or North African Jew people.

You will likely have lots of options at least in Toronto.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:13 PM

Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
why do you have to tell people you are a new convert? It is not like the Jews have a specific look. Not all Jews are European.
It matters in the sense that historically new converts are not always easily accepted by all groups.

Also new converts might not really understand the aspects or expectations associated with each forum of the faith.

Also historically lots of people suddenly claimed to be Jewish to get help getting papers to leaves certain countries to get citizenship in Israel or other western countries. Romania along with several other East European countries have historically been very intolerant to open racism and persecution of Jewish and Roma people.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:24 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
I always held the opinion that religious converts were deserving of instant respect. It's like a compliment to someone's religion; they should be glad new people are joining.

Old 11-03-2017, 09:59 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I always held the opinion that religious converts were deserving of instant respect. It's like a compliment to someone's religion; they should be glad new people are joining.
Sometimes yes and sometimes no.

Certain religions are viewed by their practitioners as exclusive clubs for people of a certain origin or at least with long-standing roots in the faith.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:29 PM

Default ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Sometimes yes and sometimes no.

Certain religions are viewed by their practitioners as exclusive clubs for people of a certain origin or at least with long-standing roots in the faith.
In some religions they are also the most likely to take things to far and volunteer to blow themselves up .

I am always skeptical of people that sudden go running to a new faith.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:45 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I am always skeptical of people that sudden go running to a new faith.
As opposed to someone who was indoctrinated from birth?

Old 11-04-2017, 02:51 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Quote:
I'm with you. I have a great deal of respect and even awe for converts. Most people go through life believing whatever they were brought up to believe, perhaps allowing their childhood beliefs to soften into a vague "spirituality" as people like to call it now, but basically it's not that different from whatever they were raised in. To truly believe something very different than what you were raised in is not something most people ever experience, imo.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:50 PM

Default ....

Quote:
Fair point...
Religious people usually freak me out .....

It all boils down to power and control....

and I am not willing to give up and of my own persoanl control or power over my life to follow anyone off some cliff to lala land.

Side note...
People that really push the you want to go heaven vibe really need to better market it to those with common sense.

For example.... I see some people that I really dont want to be anything like for a huge array of reasons and they are trying to sell the heaven idea... well if you are going and I don't like you why would I want to anything to get stuck in heaven with you for EVER !

That seriouly is more motivation to switch teams if anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada