Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 07:31 PM

304 posts, read 1,425,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Habs, is that Paolo Conte singing in the first video?
You nailed it! According to the video credits, the song is 'Les tam-tams du paradis' by Paolo Conte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 02:31 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
What about the most anti-hippy Canadian towns? Would Steinbach, Manitoba be one?
Well, I can tell you some things about Steinbach although it isn't my home town. However I am an "insider" in that I am Mennonite and about as familiar with the town as an outsider-insider can be.

Steinbach is in Manitoba's Bible Belt, which includes other towns like Morden and Winkler on the west side of the Red River. It probably has more churches than any other town in Manitoba, maybe in Canada. What many people don't realise is that within the Mennonite umbrella, there are almost as many variations on the theme as there are within better-known Protestant faiths.

However, anyone who pictures Steinbach as a backwards kind of town would be mistaken. It is also a wealthy town and housing prices keep sky-rocketing. There are a variety of businesses in Steinbach, including medical research and just this year Walmart opened up a Super Centre (or whatever they call it) store. Steinbach is the smallest community to have a Walmart. (I'm not saying I think this is good - just reporting the facts).

Miriam Toews is one of Canada's literary lights and her book, A Complicated Kindness is supposed to be a (semi) autobiographical book about growing up in Steinbach in the 70s. It was published to much acclaim and tsk-tsking about her depressed view of the town. One of Canada's best poets, Patrick Friesen, is from Steinbach and one of his books is called The Shunning which has been made into a play. His poetry focused on the practise of shunning, as some Mennonite groups used it, and the impact on family and community. Neither writer has a particularly positive view of Steinbach in their writings.

But some of that has to be traced to mental illness in Toews' family, and I think Friesen's family belonged to a strict church. And some of it is simply about how some people don't fit into wherever they are born, regardless of country or ethnicity or religion. I take apostate literature with a large grain of salt.

Steinbach was primarily known for it's car dealerships and still calls itself "The Automobile City."

In the last twenty years there has been a large influx of Germans, Russians, and Mennonite-Russians into the area, to the point where 39 percent (according to Wikipedia) cite a language other than French or English as their first language. (I am betting the number is higher because Mennonites of a certain generation were beaten in school for speaking their own language and some of them might have ticked off "English" on a census form because they have not used their mother tongue for so long).

Before that, pretty much everyone was Mennonite, with an influx of "boat people" coming from Vietnam, sponsored by local churches and individual families. After Biovail opened a factory there, Filipinos followed.

When you walk down the street or into a store it is common to hear Mennonite Low German, standard High German, Asian languages and Russian and Ukrainian.

So anti-hippy? Well, I don't know that hippies are all that popular anywhere. It's a materialistic world out there. People want stuff and people have stuff. There are kids running around with tattoos and pink hair and everything pierced that can be pierced just as anywhere else. Anyone thinking that because it is a Mennonite town people are sombrely dressed in long dresses would be wrong. These are not horse-and-buggy Mennonites.

There's a Mennonite Village Museum which is well worth a trip - it is a town set out with old buildings, including a school and a general store, houses, streets and vegetable gardens. There is an example of the sod hut in which many immigrants lived for their first winters when they first immigrated. They also have some kind of harvest thing, in which they thresh with horses to show people how things used to be done. There is also an old-fashioned blacksmith on the premises. It is a lovely place to stroll and see how things used to be, whether one is Mennonite or not.

Steinbach strikes me as an upwardly mobile city of almost 14,000, where the dollar is as important as the church. Church is important in Steinbach, but I think it serves as much as a social outlet and place to connect for more materialistic reasons than simply faith. And I think it probably helps your business to belong to a church. And, as I've mentioned in another post on another thread, it is also the home of the Southland Church, a mega-church in the American tradition.

It is also the home base of Vic Toews, son of a Paraguayan Mennonite Brethern pastor (the Mennonite equivalent of a Baptist), Tea Party wannaber, hard-line conservative, show-no-mercy kind of guy, proponent of "family values" in his public life, and not such a family guy outside of it as Vikileaks showed (and which wouldn't matter if he was even slightly inclined to show mercy to others) and personal thorn in my intellectual side. For some reason he keeps getting elected. I have NO idea why.

(A couple of years ago I came across a would-be hitchhiker in the parking lot of a store there shouting at the top of his lungs that Steinbachers/Mennonites considered themselves soooo Christian and they were a bunch of hypocrites because no one would give him a ride to Winnipeg. He was still ranting when I came out of the store. So I offered him a ride. When he saw my two German shepherds smiling at him from my vehicle he changed his mind. )

As far as I can see, this Wikipedia article is pretty accurate. Steinbach, Manitoba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-24-2013, 07:09 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

It is also the home base of Vic Toews, son of a Paraguayan Mennonite Brethern pastor (the Mennonite equivalent of a Baptist), Tea Party wannaber, hard-line conservative, show-no-mercy kind of guy, proponent of "family values" in his public life, and not such a family guy outside of it as Vikileaks showed (and which wouldn't matter if he was even slightly inclined to show mercy to others) and personal thorn in my intellectual side. For some reason he keeps getting elected. I have NO idea why.
Awesome description! I love it!

Old 02-10-2016, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,948 times
i live in cape breton nova scotia,, would love to meet some hippies.. i live on the most northern tip of cape breton,, the few hippies that i no are draft dodgers,,would love to meet more hippies here in cape breton,,

Old 02-11-2016, 02:28 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
I would have thought that all the draft dodgers have all moved away by now.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:08 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,645,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdo View Post
Hi,
I am going to Canada to stay for a couple of months and I am wondering what are the best hippy type towns or cities located in canada. I am looking for places that would have

lots of music,
spiritual feel,
artistic,
cosmopolitan,
High employment,
Easy going,

Thanks
Dawson City, Yukon and Atlin, BC.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,948 times
a few went back after the nam war,, others bought property here and settled

Old 03-07-2018, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 885 times
If i am 23 and from ontario but wish to move to BC area to live with and find like minded people like me whose vegan and loves everything earthy where would be the best location for me to seek out? Thank u in adviced.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:47 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon94xo View Post
If i am 23 and from ontario but wish to move to BC area to live with and find like minded people like me whose vegan and loves everything earthy where would be the best location for me to seek out? Thank u in adviced.

To find the ideal place for you in BC depends on what kind of employment you plan to be looking for (example - do you want employment in a town/city or in tourism and hospitality industry or work in agriculture or in the fishing or forestry industry, etc?) but generally speaking there are lots of "earthy" places on Vancouver Island that would be suitable if you have a good work ethic and are willing to work hard.

Read all the previous posts in this thread, there are already lots of good suggestions for BC. If you plan to live homeless or on welfare then don't bother coming to BC. The place is already flooded with homeless drifters and welfare people who have migrated to BC from across Canada and they are starving and sick and just barely surviving in their tent cities.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:21 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
To find the ideal place for you in BC depends on what kind of employment you plan to be looking for (example - do you want employment in a town/city or in tourism and hospitality industry or work in agriculture or in the fishing or forestry industry, etc?) but generally speaking there are lots of "earthy" places on Vancouver Island that would be suitable if you have a good work ethic and are willing to work hard.

Read all the previous posts in this thread, there are already lots of good suggestions for BC. If you plan to live homeless or on welfare then don't bother coming to BC. The place is already flooded with homeless drifters and welfare people who have migrated to BC from across Canada and they are starving and sick and just barely surviving in their tent cities.

Uh, she's a hippy. Work? Way to harsh that vibe man...Look, if you're not going to do all the work for her, she'll just have to take it somewhere else. Man, you expect her to read back maybe like six whole pages and find stuff out for herself? Woah. The Fun Police are in full force...man...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada