Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2017, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 1,890 times

Advertisements

After almost 20 years outside of Canada, I am planning on moving back.
Toronto is the place where my family and friends reside.
For me it is unaffordable or at least unreasonably priced.
I do not want to live in remote or even suburban areas, so I am looking at central Hamilton.
In particular, the area north of Main St E all the way north to Burlington St E.
I’ve read all the forum threads and watched all YouTube videos that had anything to do with the area.
Some are informative but many of them are several years old.
Many suggest that the area is quickly and drastically changing.
I’ve also seen (on paper) some condo development projects that will gradually revamp the industrial area north of Burlington St E.
How bad is the area currently and what to expect in the near future?
Some say it is not too bad.
Some say it is safe.
While some say it is scare and horrible.
I hear that artists and young families are moving there from Toronto.
On the other hand, people talk about crack (really? It still exists?), hookers and tramps in the area?
I remember Parkdale in Toronto in the early 90’s. It was kinda nasty. Is Barton village similar?
Or is it closer to the blue collar neighborhoods east of downtown Toronto off Queen St E?
Would I be constantly worried about my house or car being broken into or is it not that bad?

The idea is to buy one of those old brick houses, renovate it and semi-retire there.
Proximity to the lake also makes this area attractive, provided that the industry eventually moves elsewhere.
I am planning on visiting Barton Village and staying at some Airbnb locations in the area.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 05:56 PM

26 posts, read 18,860 times
Boy, I wouldn't live there. It may gentrify up like other parts of Hamilton, but with rising interest rates and falling home prices, I don't bet it will be soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada