Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 05:00 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,348,234 times

Advertisements

Well, I agee that it's a conundrum regarding having the freedom to express unpopular views and keeping some kind of boundary against hate speech that is designed to incite. Ann Coulter seems to me to be a joke, a clown figure. It's hard to understand who would want to hear her. She's kind of a comedian but she's not funny due to having such a nasty edge to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 05:39 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,066,983 times
I attended a Canadian University in the 1970's as a graduate student.

They were NOT into free speech. Basically a university education in Canada was viewed as a ticket into the upper middle class. Don't complain, don't question...shut up and get your degree and leave.

It was all the foreign students that had an issue with the lack of free speech in Canadian Universities.

Granted this was years ago, but Canada hasn't changed. It is all about conformity.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:57 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,287,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

They were NOT into free speech. Basically a university education in Canada was viewed as a ticket into the upper middle class. Don't complain, don't question...shut up and get your degree and leave.

It was all the foreign students that had an issue with the lack of free speech in Canadian Universities.

Granted this was years ago, but Canada hasn't changed. It is all about conformity.
509 .....as in area code perhaps....as in eastern Washington State.

Sure Canada never changes....same as back in the 70s...

Last edited by BMI; 11-03-2017 at 06:16 PM..

Old 11-03-2017, 07:16 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,518,653 times
Quote:

And yet all sorts of independent world wide orgs. place Canada as having higher individual freedoms than .......go ahead, take your pick, I'm sure you're familiar with them all.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:45 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,829,547 times
Switching to the subject of free speech in general, the following incident took place in Seattle, one of America’s most liberal cities. In Canada, would the anti-abortion and anti-homosexual demonstrators be violating the law?
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...le-coffee-sho/

Old 11-04-2017, 09:49 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,518,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Switching to the subject of free speech in general, the following incident took place in Seattle, one of America’s most liberal cities. In Canada, would the anti-abortion and anti-homosexual demonstrators be violating the law?
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...le-coffee-sho/
Mouldy; we've been over and over this in many threads in the Canada section started by Americans attempting to foster the notion Canada has no protected freedom of speech.

As long as the demonstrators are not advocating by calling for the causing of harm to a clearly defined, identifiable minority. They are by law allowed to spout their crappola with abandon. Private enterprises are allowed by law to prevent them using their venue to do so in the same manner the boy scouts are allowed to set age limits upon their members, the Toronto Zoo is allowed to say they do not need another family of Chimpanzees, the local Ford dealer says he does not want any more used Chevys on his lot, Disneyworld has height restrictions on who can ride their Rollercoasters.

Speaking of a Chevy; he is one educated authority on the subject who has offered up a studied interpretation of the law as applied within Canada on at least two occasions I can remember in the Canada section that seem to have been either ignored or forgotten...whichever.

You know the answer to this as it's been dealt with time and time again on an number of threads on here with links to the specific sections Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms provided along with the few cases filed demonstrating how the Hate Speech law is applied.

This horse is not only dead but the flies are not finding anything remaining of interest on it's bleached bones.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:09 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,091,484 times
Quote:

They were NOT into free speech. Basicallya university education in Canada was viewed as a ticket into the upper middle class. Don't complain, don't question...shut up and get your degree and leave.

Well yeah. That's a no brainer. So what's your point?

As a foreigner visiting Rome you do as the Romans do, you don't try to change Rome to be what YOU want it to be to suit yourself.

Don't complain, don't question, shut up and get your coveted upper middle class entry degree and then LEAVE and go back to wherever you came from.

Frankly I doubt that you ever attended any Canadian University at any time - your posts all belie your claims of knowledge about Canada.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Well yeah. That's a no brainer. So what's your point?

As a foreigner visiting Rome you do as the Romans do, you don't try to change Rome to be what YOU want it to be to suit yourself.

Don't complain, don't question, shut up and get your coveted upper middle class entry degree and then LEAVE and go back to wherever you came from.

Frankly I doubt that you ever attended any Canadian University at any time - your posts all belie your claims of knowledge about Canada.

I think he immigrated from Canada to the U.S. but he's obviously homesick. I think people sometimes have to justify to themselves their reasons for leaving as it makes the homesickness more bearable.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:16 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,066,983 times
Actually, I immigrated from Latin America to the US and then up to Canada for graduate school. Then scooted back home to the US.

Look Canada is a fine country.

However, the emphasis is on conformity not creativity. That is why there are so many creative Canadians.....working in the US.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Actually, I immigrated from Latin America to the US and then up to Canada for graduate school. Then scooted back home to the US.

Look Canada is a fine country.

However, the emphasis is on conformity not creativity. That is why there are so many creative Canadians.....working in the US.
Glad to hear you think Canada is a fine country. You've told the same university story on here so many times it got boring and I personally don't particularly care what country people prefer. Each to their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada