Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 6,169 times

Advertisements

Hi
My husband has been offered a fantastic job opportunity in St Johns Newfoundland and we are seriously considering taking it. I have done a little research and it looks gorgeous but apart from that I dont know much about the place.
We live in the north of England and have 2 boys under 3, we are close to our family but dont live in each others pockets however I am a bit worried I will feel isolated when my husband is at work without my family and friends for playdates, support and babysitting. Are there alot of young familys and therefor baby groups etc?
What are schools like, im not sure of the system, my 3yr old has already started school nursery here 5 mornings a week which has been great so I can have 1-1 time with my 1yr old but is that the same in Canada?
Im currently a sahm but is there good child care should i want or be able to get a job?
Also what do familys do in free time etc?
I think the weather sounds similar to here I love snow but do you get good summers too i.e bbq weather?
I wouldnt even be questioning all this if it was just us but now we have kids it so different just want the best for them.
Thanks in advance for an info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 10:20 AM

233 posts, read 538,303 times
School doesn't start here till the child turns 5 years old, at the age of four schools do have a monthly thing for children just to get them use to going.

You shouldn't have trouble meeting people to setup play dates for you children. I know of moms who have meet people through Facebook on a "Mommy Group". I am not sure about all the details of it but I have family who have meet other moms through it. It could be a good way to meet some people. People do complain about the problems with finding daycare space but I'm not sure how difficult it really is. There seems to have been a lot of new daycares opening in recent years.

The last several years the summers have been better than average for St. John's. The weather doesn't get very warm in the summers, I guess the average would be in the low 20's. Our weather seems to be a bit more humid though than some cities so it often feels warmer.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,112 times
I live in this city.

It is the windiest, rainiest, foggiest, cloudiest, and snowiest city in all of Canada. That is a fact from wikipedia.

The reason for the extreme climate is that the city is located 500 miles from the Grand Banks, a shallow area of ocean where hot and cold ocean currents collide.

The oil industry here is booming. Two days ago it was announced that one oilfield has its lifespan expanded by 7 years. Many huge oil discoveries are expected in the future. So for the next long while the oil industry will continue to thrive and provide high quality, high value oil.

The city does not have excellent routes for biking unless you plan on utilizing the walking trails, which in fact are quite good for some parts of the city.

A car is a necessity though unless you really think about your location and make sure everything is close by.

Day care is available throughout the city in many locations. People with government jobs can get daycare at the confederation building for example, and there are many paid places.

School starts at age 5. Preschool is available.

The crime rate is increasing. The city was never bad for crime at all but it is getting worse with the increase in money. The murder rate is very low but there has been a couple of murders over drugs in the bad neighborhoods of the city. Again, this is extremely low compared to any other city, but it is growing. So be careful not to pick a house downtown in a bad neighborhood because drug houses and prostitution houses are becoming a problem in the bad areas.

There are a lot of young families and mothers.

There is a limited number of things to do.

The hiking in this city is AMAZING. You will have no shortage of that.

There are excellent fitness areas. The university offers an amazing number of things to be involved in. Investigate memorial university and the works.

There are two or three malls. One mall in particular is fairly decent.

Investigate "The Rooms" museum. This is good to visit twice a year or so.

Investigate the Johnston Geo Center.

Downtown st johns has plenty of entertainment. Be wary of the bars, it can be unsavory at times.

The city has good libraries and archives.

The summers are lovely. The ocean keeps things nice and not too hot, 20 degrees and a nice breeze is just perfect.

The ocean also keeps the winters relatively mild.

St Johns is the second mildest climate in all of Canada, keeping moderate tempatures like British Columbia.

The school system is alright but you will have to monitor your children as they grow older. There is heavy drug use in middle and high schools in the back of the schools, very little is done about it. Alcholism is a large problem in the province among youth, this is the oldest English city in North America and has a culture that embraces alcohol. so be careful in regards to these things

It truly is a great city to live in, perhaps one of the best in North America.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:42 PM

4 posts, read 10,623 times
I live in St. John's as well and I'm just posting to say Iopatars break-down is pretty accurate. Newfoundland is a beautiful place, the major obstacle for people who want to live here is usually finding work. Since you have that sorted already, living here could be a really great life experience.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:36 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
What sort of weather should I expect if I visit at the end of August to the beginning of September? I will be riding a big scooter from New England. Which ferry from NS should I take?

Old 12-16-2013, 07:42 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What sort of weather should I expect if I visit at the end of August to the beginning of September? I will be riding a big scooter from New England. Which ferry from NS should I take?
It could be warm. It could be cool. That time of the year is always a cr@pshoot.

Why in God's good name are you riding a big scooter from Londonderry to St. John's? Surely there are vehicles much better suited for making such a long trip.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:40 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I have been riding motorcycles since 1968. I find it relaxing and entertaining. Riding a big scooter is like riding a mid size motorcycle with a step through frame. The Burgman is a surprisingly competent motorcycle for long days and miles. The advantage of a bike is the tremendous view. They are the ultimate convertible sports car. The principal disadvantage is the incredible discomfort riding in the rain and riding in snow (with street tires) is impossible. There is also increased danger if you try to kiss a moose.

If I just wanted to get to St. John's I would fly or drive my car. I think I will take the ferry to Argentia and then decide what route to take back. Now to save up enough money for three weeks lodging, food and gas. Do you know any cheap places to stay that have electric power for my CPAP respirator? Comfort is an option but electric power is not.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:34 AM

1 posts, read 5,356 times
i am a student from india nd m lookin forward to get admissions in northern lights college for m pg diploma in business management i need your help to kno w more abt d city nd part tym jobs avaliable for international students nd d life in city

Old 01-12-2014, 05:31 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,523,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noordin View Post
i am a student from india nd m lookin forward to get admissions in northern lights college for m pg diploma in business management i need your help to kno w more abt d city nd part tym jobs avaliable for international students nd d life in city
Then why don't you post a thread of your own, taking care to ensure that you're inquiring about the right city?

Old 01-12-2014, 07:57 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noordin View Post
One of the first requirements is to write a coherent sentence. People don't speak or write like this in Canada. Maybe they do in India, but you want to move, no?

-An ex-student from India
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada