U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2017, 09:46 AM

3,757 posts, read 4,807,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What examples bring you to this conclusion?
Just compare the daily "world" section of the Toronto Star vs The Guardian for example.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world

Which one is more extensive, well rounded and spread around the globe? Not hard to spot the difference in focus between the two.

Also watch any National Canadian news show in the evening and how much coverage is dedicated to the world outside of the US. Then watch the same in the UK. Add to that the constant mispronunciation of certain cities when they do cover the Middle East, Africa, etc....Maybe I am just super picky but it stands out to me.

As I said the Canadian media does a fantastic job of covering their domestic stuff, no flashy bullsh*t required just, you know, news! Difficult for me to say the same of the US these days.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
At a ten to one pop. ratio, there are ten times more "pathetic weirdos" to meet and probably at a minimum, ten times the opportunities to meet them, even without adding in the fact more Canadians travel south than their counterparts coming north...er....wouldn't there be?

We could, I suppose, debate the relative saturation rates of "pathetic weirdos" but I think we all agree as to how that would turn out.
Yeah I'm not about that comparison game. But man you have to admit you would have a laugh at the expense of this gentleman.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:00 PM

35,316 posts, read 48,710,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Just compare the daily "world" section of the Toronto Star vs The Guardian for example.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world

Which one is more extensive, well rounded and spread around the globe? Not hard to spot the difference in focus between the two.

Also watch any National Canadian news show in the evening and how much coverage is dedicated to the world outside of the US. Then watch the same in the UK. Add to that the constant mispronunciation of certain cities when they do cover the Middle East, Africa, etc....Maybe I am just super picky but it stands out to me.

As I said the Canadian media does a fantastic job of covering their domestic stuff, no flashy bullsh*t required just, you know, news! Difficult for me to say the same of the US these days.
I'm not seeing a discernible difference in your two links,all the worlds main news stories are given some discussion with a heavy emphasis on the Trump thing..

Old 12-03-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm not seeing a discernible difference in your two links,all the worlds main news stories are given some discussion with a heavy emphasis on the Trump thing..
You can’t be serious Jambo. One of them has a separate section for each continent and world region. The other has one catch all world section where 12 of the 17 headlines are from the US, 1 with a Canada twist and then the remainder to cover the rest of the globe.

Old 12-03-2017, 01:04 PM

22,752 posts, read 13,829,459 times
Quote:
Yeah I'm not about that comparison game. But man you have to admit you would have a laugh at the expense of this gentleman.
Well yeah, if he's buying them; but I'd bet he asks and gets them given to him!

Old 12-03-2017, 06:21 PM

6,729 posts, read 8,060,171 times
Quote:
The Canadian media does not have the same level of sensationalism as the US Media. I am not sure how that could be viewed as anything but a positive. The talking head bullsh*t has killed the US Media outside of a few reliable print new sources and on air personalities.

With that said the Canadian media is terrible when it comes to covering International politics and current events. Equally as bad as the US Media (even though certain print publications have a higher standard than their counterparts in Canada). The lack of basic knowledge when it comes to the International community is almost laughable. So while I appreciate the coverage in Canada when it comes to domestic issues, they lose me once they start stepping outside their border. Same with the US.
I agree with you. It didn't used to be that way and all of a sudden it was as though they were trying to be more "entertaining" the way news is in the US.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:22 PM

6,729 posts, read 8,060,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I am from a northern US state and have travelled on 4 continents and I don't find Canada that boring. Of course I like canoe tripping, backpacking, maritime culture, and French colonial culture.

Canada is not exotic for an American, but that doesn't mean it is boring either.
That is a very good distinction.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:09 AM

35,316 posts, read 48,710,763 times
Quote:
You can’t be serious Jambo. One of them has a separate section for each continent and world region. The other has one catch all world section where 12 of the 17 headlines are from the US, 1 with a Canada twist and then the remainder to cover the rest of the globe.
You think because Canadian papers dont print stories no one cares about that they are in some way lacking Eg;=
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-rare-seabirds

Old 12-04-2017, 09:03 AM

6,551 posts, read 5,843,222 times
Give me boring old Canada ANY day over listening to the news of the ludicrous acts of the orange-headed blockhead that you voted into the White house.

USA, you REALLY goofed on this one! If you vote him in again, I'd say you are all nuts, not just some of you!

Old 12-04-2017, 09:51 AM

10,237 posts, read 21,824,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Give me boring old Canada ANY day over listening to the news of the ludicrous acts of the orange-headed blockhead that you voted into the White house.

USA, you REALLY goofed on this one! If you vote him in again, I'd say you are all nuts, not just some of you!
At that point I'd guess that you will likely see more red and blue states seeking more autonomy for sake of jumping off the crazy train. It's also quite plausible he won't finish his first term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada