U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2017, 10:04 AM

6,546 posts, read 5,837,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
At that point I'd guess that you will likely see more red and blue states seeking more autonomy for sake of jumping off the crazy train. It's also quite plausible he won't finish his first term.
Don't I, and millions more, hope you're right!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 10:55 AM

17,932 posts, read 22,325,225 times
America's current (and continuous) political and social woes are commensurate with its 10x greater population and historical challenges.

I mean, how did Canada so successfully transition from being one of GB's exploitive slave colonies to the socially harmonious utopia it is today. Oh, yeah, it wasn't a slave colony. On the other hand, Canada does have a dismal record on the fate of its indigenous population just like its southern neighbor.

I love Canada and Canadians, but there is a fair bit of willingness to ignore one's own faults while smugly pointing fingers at others whose experiences and challenges can't even be conceived of, and assuming that its own positive attributes are the product of natural moral superiority.

Oddly, every Canadian I have met has been quite reasonable, unlike the few on internet forums that obviously have an axe to grind.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:26 AM

3,698 posts, read 2,771,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
America's current (and continuous) political and social woes are commensurate with its 10x greater population and historical challenges.

I mean, how did Canada so successfully transition from being one of GB's exploitive slave colonies to the socially harmonious utopia it is today. Oh, yeah, it wasn't a slave colony. On the other hand, Canada does have a dismal record on the fate of its indigenous population just like its southern neighbor.

I love Canada and Canadians, but there is a fair bit of willingness to ignore one's own faults while smugly pointing fingers at others whose experiences and challenges can't even be conceived of, and assuming that its own positive attributes are the product of natural moral superiority.
Well said

Quote:
Oddly, every Canadian I have met has been quite reasonable, unlike the few on internet forums that obviously have an axe to grind.
I agree....I met very few Canadians in real life with the attitude shown by several posters here nor I met many "arrogant, backwards Americans" mentioned by some of these same posters.

Finally, I love the continuing mention of the "mess" in America, the "disaster".....what mess, what disaster??
Real world to you, you average American is not experiencing any disaster and his/her QOL is as good if not better in many ways than north of the border.
America has currently a very strong economy, is an innovation hub on so many fields and is becoming a net energy exporter.......if I were a young, bright individual I would rather live in America than Canada.....before the screaming and hair pulling starts, I'm not saying that Canada is a bad country to be....

Old 12-04-2017, 11:45 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,805,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You think because Canadian papers dont print stories no one cares about that they are in some way lacking Eg;=
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-rare-seabirds
The Toronto Sun and National Enquirer may be enough for you Jambo, but some people expect a bit more. Different strokes.....

Old 12-04-2017, 12:48 PM

35,316 posts, read 48,692,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
The Toronto Sun and National Enquirer may be enough for you Jambo, but some people expect a bit more. Different strokes.....
I read the Montreal Gazette,it gives local and world news and is good enough for me when i want to revert back to news papers to get my news .

Old 12-04-2017, 01:01 PM

6,751 posts, read 5,005,579 times
Default .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I've been to Canada a few times. Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary all have a very different vibe from their US counterparts.

I find the people in general not that friendly, not rude but a little boring and lack charisma. Polite but not at all charming. Those in Vancouver need to get off their high horse & get a reality check!

The news reporting is so boring. I have never heard such monotonous news anchors in my entire life!

I know Canadians feel smug that their country is not hit with problems that other countries deal with, yes I think it is far safer than most other parts of the world, but I'm just saying I dont find the country particularly 'charming'

(Also I have even been to the Canada Maritimes and found it an extremely backwards and close-minded absolutely boring place)
I can not speak to all of Canada, but if you found Toronto boring that is just a mater of personal of opinion.
I live in Toronto and there is always loads of interesting things to do usually going on at the same time. So if you found Toronto boring I question if you actually just did not know where to find things to do or if really actually stay in the city rather the somewhere outside the city.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:31 PM

10,062 posts, read 11,609,879 times
If your politics are “a little boring”, that can be an asset.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:59 PM

1,380 posts, read 654,047 times
Quote:
"I find the people in general not that friendly, not rude but a little boring and lack charisma. Polite but not at all charming. Those in Vancouver need to get off their high horse & get a reality check!"
Your statement clearly shows your skewed insight of Vancouver, despite the fact that you had been here couple of times perhaps. Hence, the less than agreeable responses directed at you are understandable.

Metro Vancouver has spiraled so fast and monstruous that even the locals are hard in catching up with. It is tempting to brush it with a swift statement, but please take it with a good stride when others reacted to your posts not the way you wanted it to be.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:38 AM

22,746 posts, read 13,820,097 times
Aw, they were just being "smug" Canadians.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:27 AM

17,193 posts, read 12,710,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Aw, they were just being "smug" Canadians.
Come on BruSan, you know the rules. We Canadians must just sit and be quiet when others inform the world of our apparent shortcomings. We, unlike other peoples, are not allowed to be proud of what our country has achieved. It's our fault that other countries have different histories ( and have yet to overcome them ) than we do. The fact that we are addressing past wrongs, and the amount of news about that in our media is of no consequence.

So get it right. Canada only exists because of the protection of others. Canada is boring. Canada doesn't have it's own culture. Everything is second or third rate. Our cities are lacklustre. Toronto is bland. Vancouver soulless, and Montreal ( that French seems to wow people ) is a possible saving grace.

As for other cities and places in the country, they simply don't count, because most haven't heard of them. Remember, we are trapped here in Canada, so said the American who moved to Mexico, so it must be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada