Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2017, 01:15 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,302,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Let's be honest, very FEW, if any at all, Americans will actually think of moving to canada because whatever political turmoil they think is happening. Despite the nice things Canada has and the US doesn't, there are more things they like about the US (such as more job opportunity, lower COL, more choices of climate etc) that canada doesn't. So although everytime Canadians get a confidence boost because the CIC website is crashed again, there is always minimum change in actual number of Americans moving to Canada.

And like mention, a lot of "bad politics" Americans whine about do not really affect them on a personal level whatsoever. will Americans actually leave the country just because it is harder for Mexicans or Muslims to come to the country? Yeah it is easy to post something noble and nice on social media, but very few will actually sacrifice their own life for the sake of all those good causes.

Now Trump is lowering the taxes, even less inventive for them to leave. People care far more about themselves than all the noble spiritual things they claim to care so much about.

And yes, even if they move to Canada, they will complain about new problems, possibly more than they do in the US.

So stop the wet dream. Americans in reality have little interest in moving to Canada (most don't qualify to begin with).
Indeed.....and Canada in reality does not have/offer anything that the US doesn't other than "free" healthcare, in theory, where in reality a lot of working Americans already get it anyway.

Statistically the US has higher crime rate but, again, in reality the difference is small enough to make no difference in practice in the everyday lives of average ordinary citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 02:41 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Indeed.....and Canada in reality does not have/offer anything that the US doesn't other than "free" healthcare, in theory, where in reality a lot of working Americans already get it anyway.

Statistically the US has higher crime rate but, again, in reality the difference is small enough to make no difference in practice in the everyday lives of average ordinary citizens.
I used to ask on the Maine forum if they prefer to me part of Canada and the response was a resounding no. And that’s Maine, supposedly having most in common with Canada.

In general Americans don’t envy Canada, although there are certain things they would love to have. That’s a reality Canadians need to face.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:16 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
I used to ask on the Maine forum if they prefer to me part of Canada and the response was a resounding no. And that’s Maine, supposedly having most in common with Canada.

In general Americans don’t envy Canada, although there are certain things they would love to have. That’s a reality Canadians need to face.
Maine having the most common with Canada??? You mean in attitude?

I guess that settles it. One guy, ask a few locals in Maine, ( on a internet forum, no less ) and there we have the truth.

As long as we are being anecdotal, my experience has been quite different, and in person. Does this mean the majority of Americans...of course not. Most are ignorant of Canada.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:28 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:

What is the reality Canadians need to face?

Are Canadians inundating these boards with suppositions of superiority or are they responding to American suppositions of superiority?

C'mon now this chit is getting old. Constantly admonishing Canadians to restrict our national pride while sharing a border with a country that knows no limits in it's expressions of national pride is getting tiresome Botti.

When Canadians have not in any quantitative measure been suggesting Americans are champing at the bit to enter our fine country, what's with all of this constantly telling us to stop?

Sorta like repetitively telling people to keep the noise down in a room full of deaf mutes.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:47 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When you consider Canada is lacking in Rush Limbaugh and Alex Jones types clogging the airwaves with hate and conspiracy theories, no News entertainment shows like FOX or MSNBC to twist the facts. Mass murder events are very few and far between , a complete lack of interest in guns and military related issues, nowhere near the obsession with politics that is prevalent in the US to the point where conservatives now consider liberals an enemy of the state,, and we dont have a lunatic as head of state. yeah i guess Canada can come off as a bit boring to some American visitors.
For those visitors that do come up and have a good time here in Canada i'm sure you can appreciate the difference,ya'll come back now.
But, but....

They have TRUDEAU!

Not boring.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:54 PM

324 posts, read 387,686 times
Having lived in Niagara Falls NY we had many opportunities to visit Canada. It's a great country to visit and considerably cleaner and more appealing than most US cities.

Also had numerous opportunities to visit on military bases on deployment not to mention drop in emergencies. We were always treated well and the military Canadians we met loved to party too!

Walessp

Old 12-06-2017, 05:56 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
We all have different perceptions that is for sure, you hit all the big cities.... i've been to Thunder Bay and Winnipeg and had a great time! lol

Old 12-06-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When you consider Canada is lacking in Rush Limbaugh and Alex Jones types clogging the airwaves with hate and conspiracy theories, no News entertainment shows like FOX or MSNBC to twist the facts. Mass murder events are very few and far between , a complete lack of interest in guns and military related issues, nowhere near the obsession with politics that is prevalent in the US to the point where conservatives now consider liberals an enemy of the state,, and we dont have a lunatic as head of state. yeah i guess Canada can come off as a bit boring to some American visitors.
For those visitors that do come up and have a good time here in Canada i'm sure you can appreciate the difference,ya'll come back now.
These political issues always get brought up, however not everyone in the world is as into this stuff as most of us are... most people are just going about their life with no care about Alex Jones or Rush Limbaugh... i can assure you however once you leave the USA i can assure you these things don't disappear, i also follow many Canadian news sites to try to get a different set of stories on my feed, and oh boy can i assure you that its nothing different than down here.

Quote:

The Average American mindset is very self centered and peoples grasp of the borders outside the U.S is like going outside the galaxy, asking many people about Canadian related questions here (a border state with Canada) and you get confused looks, shoulder shrugs and just downright ignorance.

You have the few well educated liberals (not saying liberal = well educated but pointing out those liberals that are well educated) do have a favorable view toward Canada and maybe some hardcore hockey fans.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:33 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,497,292 times
Quote:

Even when it comes to those issues, they are not all in the same boat. While many progressive Americans would love to see better healthcare, there is still a strong segment of the population that opposes it. Same goes with firearm restrictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Maine having the most common with Canada??? You mean in attitude?

I guess that settles it. One guy, ask a few locals in Maine, ( on a internet forum, no less ) and there we have the truth.

As long as we are being anecdotal, my experience has been quite different, and in person. Does this mean the majority of Americans...of course not. Most are ignorant of Canada.
It really depends on which circle one looks into. Those who are not satisfied with the course of US politics tend to be more in favour of joining Canada.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Even when it comes to those issues, they are not all in the same boat. While many progressive Americans would love to see better healthcare, there is still a strong segment of the population that opposes it. Same goes with firearm restrictions.
Amendment 69 in Colorado would be good to look at, an amendment to finance universal healthcare in that state.. a sort of a swing state leaning blue imo... anyways voters there rejected that bill, 79% voting no...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada