U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 02:41 PM

1,582 posts, read 4,829,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
...but you keep coming back?
The cities are actually fine to visit
I would say I find it very easy to get around Canadian cities not having to rely on a car, which cannot be the case in 95% of the US. Vancouver is soulless but interesting to get a Pacific Rim vibe, Toronto is cosmopolitan although it tries too hard to be like a Mini NYC, Montreal is indeed most colorful of the bunch. Calgary is like a Denver-Texas wannabe without the interesting personalities, and the Maritimes is just absolute crud.

It is the vibe of the people. Not quite a colorful bunch. There were quite a few occasions in various social contexts in which it felt that I was speaking to stones

I've traveled extensively and if i were to generalize within Anglosphere countries, Canadians tend to be the least charismatic
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 02:42 PM

17,195 posts, read 12,717,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Canada news reporting is boring because nothing really happens, good or bad. They have to resort to reporting everything that happen in a neighouring country as domestic news. In the morning when you turn on the TV it is usually about how to make pancakes or gardening. That's true.

Also Canada is NOT safer than most other parts of the world. It is average in terms of personal safety. If Japan claims that I would agree.

Canada is not particularly boring but does lack its own culture (many would disagree naturally). You need to have your own social circle to fully enjoy those cities in Canada. People won't approach you asking to be best friends. Once you have that, it is not bad as long as you are not too picky.

For a tourist, Canadian cities are of course not that exciting or impressive. They have relatively short history without glorious empire history, so you can't compare them with Prague or Venice. They won't take your breath away for sure but very few cities in the world do.

Canadian news may seem boring to those who know nothing about Canada. Canadian news stories are interesting and important to millions of Canadians because it affects us. I don't give a flying **** what outsiders think about our news.

As for reporting US news...show me a country that doesn't. I think we had this conversation before were I brought up six US news stories in La Monde first 2 pages. Australia reports on US news constantly, as does the UK etc.

There is more US news in Canada, agreed...but why do you think that is Bottie? Could it be that being right beside the US what they do affects Canada MORE than other places? Do you not think keeping an eye on our largest trading partner and keeping the Canadian population informed isn't important?

Anyway, most don't get their news from cable anymore...we pick and choose our news sources on the internet.

This Canada lacks it's own culture BS is really tiresome and is just embarrassing to those who say it. It shows total lack of the history and building of Canada.

Canadian cities... I don't know. Millions of tourists come, visit, and love them. They come because they AREN'T Prague or Venice.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:48 PM

52,353 posts, read 74,063,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Why is Canada a little boring to you? Well, we can't please foreign strangers all the time.

But thanks for your scintillating critique which we will take under advisement for Tourist File 13.

In the meantime, perhaps you should be looking for your excitement somewhere else less boring instead of returning to Canada over and over again.

Lol.... Right!
It amazes me when I read about people travelling to foreign countries, but expecting everything to be like back home.
It's like they DON'T WANT to realize that there MIGHT be cultural differences, and the Canadians are perfectly fine with the way they live.
Another thing is the obsession with the smiles and friendliness, but forgetting that what they experience back home is in most cases just mindless and fake.
As to the excitement in the news: sorry that the Canadians are too peaceful, and are not reporting about mass shootings, police chases, and sexual misconducts which is usually the main topic of the news back home

Old 11-30-2017, 02:56 PM

10,847 posts, read 13,449,603 times
Quote:
Canadian news may seem boring to those who know nothing about Canada. Canadian news stories are interesting and important to millions of Canadians because it affects us. I don't give a flying **** what outsiders think about our news.

As for reporting US news...show me a country that doesn't. I think we had this conversation before were I brought up six US news stories in La Monde first 2 pages. Australia reports on US news constantly, as does the UK etc.

There is more US news in Canada, agreed...but why do you think that is Bottie? Could it be that being right beside the US what they do affects Canada MORE than other places? Do you not think keeping an eye on our largest trading partner and keeping the Canadian population informed isn't important?

Anyway, most don't get their news from cable anymore...we pick and choose our news sources on the internet.

This Canada lacks it's own culture BS is really tiresome and is just embarrassing to those who say it. It shows total lack of the history and building of Canada.

Canadian cities... I don't know. Millions of tourists come, visit, and love them. They come because they AREN'T Prague or Venice.
As usual you can’t take any objective statements that don’t make Canada look brilliant not to mention criticism. I am not surprised. I was being being as neutral as I could.

Culture, no no and no. Of course you won’t realize because you are part of it and used to it.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Also Canada is NOT safer than most other parts of the world.
Maybe not safer than the most, but pretty darn close.
You are right, the main topic in the US news is about terrorism, shootings, wars, poverty, guns, misconducts etc. After that there is not much time to report about anything else.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rticle4158202/

There are 54 countries safer than USA, and Canada is #8.
https://safearound.com/danger-rankings/

Crime index: Canada #16, USA #106
https://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings_by_country.jsp

Old 11-30-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
As usual you can’t take any objective statements that don’t make Canada look brilliant not to mention criticism. I am not surprised. I was being being as neutral as I could.

Culture, no no and no. Of course you won’t realize because you are part of it and used to it.
Somehow, Canada is the only country in the world without it's own culture? ...and how can I be " a part of it " if it doesn't exist?

That is a ridiculous premise.

You were NOT being neutral. I can take legitimate criticisms about Canada, but not silly ones.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:14 PM

3,698 posts, read 2,772,546 times
Quote:

You are missing the point...for an American, Canadian cities are definitely less interesting to visit than European ones....

Old 11-30-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
You are missing the point...for an American, Canadian cities are definitely less interesting to visit than European ones....
So, isn't that their fault that they don't care to do some research to find out if that's the country they want to visit? Little Googling, and they would know what to expect, no?
Those American globetrotters...

Old 11-30-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I am NOT missing the point. Where did anyone state that it was Americans only who are bored?

I can tell, the ones I know and meet certainly aren't. They keep coming back multiple times and expand their visits to other parts of Canada because they like what they see.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:32 PM

13,141 posts, read 11,666,789 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

Quote:

[snip]

What makes you believe that Canadians should care about whatever your opinions are about Canada?

Why is it so difficult for you comprehend that your opinions are irrelevant?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-01-2017 at 07:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada