Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2021, 09:49 AM

14,676 posts, read 14,779,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
In order to make the Country less boring (it is not, but let’s assume for the sake of argument that it is), I think it would be a sound move for Canadian English to get rid of the Latin alphabet with all its accompanying spelling variations and adopt instead the awesome Inuktitut writing system.

Nunavut would be in favour, I suppose, and maybe some provinces (Quebec? ) as well
Interesting idea but I think probably some woke people would have a fit of the screaming meemies and would jump on the cultural appropriation band wagon and have a protest through the streets about it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 10:23 AM

18,494 posts, read 15,380,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Interesting idea but I think probably some woke people would have a fit of the screaming meemies and would jump on the cultural appropriation band wagon and have a protest through the streets about it.

If they did you could throw this at them

"Inuktitut uses a writing system called syllabics, created originally for the Cree language, which represent combinations of consonants and vowels. The language is also written in the Roman alphabet, and this is the exclusive writing system used in Labrador and parts of Western Nunavut."

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia....icle/inuktitut

It was created for the Cree by

"Reverend James Evans
Reverend James Evans, a Methodist missionary, has often been credited with developing the first Indigenous syllabic script in 1839 or 1840 at Norway House in what is now Manitoba. "

https://thediscoverblog.com/2015/06/...labic-scripts/

Old 06-25-2022, 12:11 PM

84 posts, read 51,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I've been to Canada a few times. Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary all have a very different vibe from their US counterparts.

I find the people in general not that friendly, not rude but a little boring and lack charisma. Polite but not at all charming. Those in Vancouver need to get off their high horse & get a reality check!

The news reporting is so boring. I have never heard such monotonous news anchors in my entire life!

I know Canadians feel smug that their country is not hit with problems that other countries deal with, yes I think it is far safer than most other parts of the world, but I'm just saying I dont find the country particularly 'charming'

(Also I have even been to the Canada Maritimes and found it an extremely backwards and close-minded absolutely boring place)
If you want to spice up your Canadian experiences, here are my three favourite Canadian songs: Congratulations by Simple Plan, The Antidote by Simple Plan and Letoile by Celine Dion

Old 06-27-2022, 01:42 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 20 days ago)

34,509 posts, read 16,599,025 times
Quote:
I've been to Canada a few times. Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary all have a very different vibe from their US counterparts.

I find the people in general not that friendly, not rude but a little boring and lack charisma. Polite but not at all charming. Those in Vancouver need to get off their high horse & get a reality check!

The news reporting is so boring. I have never heard such monotonous news anchors in my entire life!

I know Canadians feel smug that their country is not hit with problems that other countries deal with, yes I think it is far safer than most other parts of the world, but I'm just saying I dont find the country particularly 'charming'

(Also I have even been to the Canada Maritimes and found it an extremely backwards and close-minded absolutely boring place)
I don't agree at all. See my disagreement with the OP in The warmer the climate, the warmer the people. Suffice to say my experiences have been quite good. It does help, however, to get to know something about the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple674 View Post
If you want to spice up your Canadian experiences, here are my three favourite Canadian songs: Congratulations by Simple Plan, The Antidote by Simple Plan and Letoile by Celine Dion
I would add almost anything by Blue Rodeo, Great Big Sea or Arrogant Worms. If you want funny, try The Arrogant Worms' song The Toronto Song. For Blue Rodeo try "Five Days in May", "Cynthia", "What Am I Doing Here" (my ringtone for my job), or numerous other songs. Older stuff includes the Guess Who's "Share the Land" or "American Woman."

Old 06-27-2022, 07:21 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,737,743 times
In a nutshell, this is a useless thread that should never have been rehashed or even created really. Why am I typing in it? Man I have no idea, i'm just passing the time cooking my steaks on the grill I guess lol - I know boring house life but, beer and steak in the backyard in the summer as the sun sets - does it get much better really - meh i'm getting old

Last edited by fusion2; 06-27-2022 at 07:31 PM..

Old 06-28-2022, 09:50 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,377,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
In a nutshell, this is a useless thread that should never have been rehashed or even created really. Why am I typing in it? Man I have no idea, i'm just passing the time cooking my steaks on the grill I guess lol - I know boring house life but, beer and steak in the backyard in the summer as the sun sets - does it get much better really - meh i'm getting old
Pardon the pun fusion but, I would opine that rather then "getting old", you're just spending more time dealing with your "prime" motivations .

Old 06-28-2022, 03:20 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,737,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Pardon the pun fusion but, I would opine that rather then "getting old", you're just spending more time dealing with your "prime" motivations .
i'll go with that BRU

Old 07-28-2022, 09:45 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,369,911 times
Quote:

I beg to differ. Although I've only visited Canada once (BC), it was thrilling to visit a country filled with polite folks who were not interested in how much money I made, my zip code, the type of vehicle I drove, etc. as tends to be the case where I reside. The laid-back culture of Canada is appealing. I look forward to my next trip north.

Old 07-28-2022, 11:01 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,139,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I beg to differ. Although I've only visited Canada once (BC), it was thrilling to visit a country filled with polite folks who were not interested in how much money I made, my zip code, the type of vehicle I drove, etc. as tends to be the case where I reside. The laid-back culture of Canada is appealing. I look forward to my next trip north.
Ditto! I’m from Seattle and have been visiting Vancouver for years. We always enjoy the Canadian locals and their friendliness. Seattle has a major problem with our Seattle Freeze…too many quirky, woolier than thou attitudes for my liking. It’s nice to escape the Freeze and most Canadians are delightful!

Old 07-28-2022, 06:09 PM
pdw

2,610 posts, read 3,031,952 times
Can’t speak for Vancouver but I can see Toronto being “a little boring”. It’s become a very materialistic, antisocial sort of place since the late 90s/early 00s. Kind of the same snooty attitude associated with places like Paris but without the fun stuff. Bylaws are very strict and there’s definitely a NIMBY attitude towards young people having fun. Montreal and Winnipeg on the other hand I found to be very friendly, fun places. Montreal especially has amazing nightlife and culture that’s sadly been sort of lost in Toronto with the financialization of the economy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada