U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-16-2021, 10:49 AM
 
Location: B.C., Canada
13,531 posts, read 12,324,134 times
Reputation: 31225

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Heat View Post
In order to make the Country less boring (it is not, but let’s assume for the sake of argument that it is), I think it would be a sound move for Canadian English to get rid of the Latin alphabet with all its accompanying spelling variations and adopt instead the awesome Inuktitut writing system.

Nunavut would be in favour, I suppose, and maybe some provinces (Quebec? ) as well
Interesting idea but I think probably some woke people would have a fit of the screaming meemies and would jump on the cultural appropriation band wagon and have a protest through the streets about it.

.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2021, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
17,539 posts, read 13,287,462 times
Reputation: 10965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Interesting idea but I think probably some woke people would have a fit of the screaming meemies and would jump on the cultural appropriation band wagon and have a protest through the streets about it.

.
If they did you could throw this at them

"Inuktitut uses a writing system called syllabics, created originally for the Cree language, which represent combinations of consonants and vowels. The language is also written in the Roman alphabet, and this is the exclusive writing system used in Labrador and parts of Western Nunavut."

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia....icle/inuktitut

It was created for the Cree by

"Reverend James Evans
Reverend James Evans, a Methodist missionary, has often been credited with developing the first Indigenous syllabic script in 1839 or 1840 at Norway House in what is now Manitoba. "

https://thediscoverblog.com/2015/06/...labic-scripts/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2022, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
52 posts, read 23,122 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I've been to Canada a few times. Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary all have a very different vibe from their US counterparts.

I find the people in general not that friendly, not rude but a little boring and lack charisma. Polite but not at all charming. Those in Vancouver need to get off their high horse & get a reality check!

The news reporting is so boring. I have never heard such monotonous news anchors in my entire life!

I know Canadians feel smug that their country is not hit with problems that other countries deal with, yes I think it is far safer than most other parts of the world, but I'm just saying I dont find the country particularly 'charming'

(Also I have even been to the Canada Maritimes and found it an extremely backwards and close-minded absolutely boring place)
If you want to spice up your Canadian experiences, here are my three favourite Canadian songs: Congratulations by Simple Plan, The Antidote by Simple Plan and Letoile by Celine Dion
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2022, 02:42 PM
 
Location: New York Area
30,032 posts, read 13,021,495 times
Reputation: 24869
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I've been to Canada a few times. Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary all have a very different vibe from their US counterparts.

I find the people in general not that friendly, not rude but a little boring and lack charisma. Polite but not at all charming. Those in Vancouver need to get off their high horse & get a reality check!

The news reporting is so boring. I have never heard such monotonous news anchors in my entire life!

I know Canadians feel smug that their country is not hit with problems that other countries deal with, yes I think it is far safer than most other parts of the world, but I'm just saying I dont find the country particularly 'charming'

(Also I have even been to the Canada Maritimes and found it an extremely backwards and close-minded absolutely boring place)
I don't agree at all. See my disagreement with the OP in The warmer the climate, the warmer the people. Suffice to say my experiences have been quite good. It does help, however, to get to know something about the country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple674 View Post
If you want to spice up your Canadian experiences, here are my three favourite Canadian songs: Congratulations by Simple Plan, The Antidote by Simple Plan and Letoile by Celine Dion
I would add almost anything by Blue Rodeo, Great Big Sea or Arrogant Worms. If you want funny, try The Arrogant Worms' song The Toronto Song. For Blue Rodeo try "Five Days in May", "Cynthia", "What Am I Doing Here" (my ringtone for my job), or numerous other songs. Older stuff includes the Guess Who's "Share the Land" or "American Woman."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2022, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Toronto
13,704 posts, read 14,010,065 times
Reputation: 4563
In a nutshell, this is a useless thread that should never have been rehashed or even created really. Why am I typing in it? Man I have no idea, i'm just passing the time cooking my steaks on the grill I guess lol - I know boring house life but, beer and steak in the backyard in the summer as the sun sets - does it get much better really - meh i'm getting old

Last edited by fusion2; 06-27-2022 at 08:31 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2022, 10:50 AM
 
22,925 posts, read 14,233,072 times
Reputation: 16962
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
In a nutshell, this is a useless thread that should never have been rehashed or even created really. Why am I typing in it? Man I have no idea, i'm just passing the time cooking my steaks on the grill I guess lol - I know boring house life but, beer and steak in the backyard in the summer as the sun sets - does it get much better really - meh i'm getting old
Pardon the pun fusion but, I would opine that rather then "getting old", you're just spending more time dealing with your "prime" motivations .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2022, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Toronto
13,704 posts, read 14,010,065 times
Reputation: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Pardon the pun fusion but, I would opine that rather then "getting old", you're just spending more time dealing with your "prime" motivations .
i'll go with that BRU
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2022, 10:45 AM
 
3,496 posts, read 4,079,449 times
Reputation: 5976
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I've been to Canada a few times. Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary all have a very different vibe from their US counterparts.

I find the people in general not that friendly, not rude but a little boring and lack charisma. Polite but not at all charming. Those in Vancouver need to get off their high horse & get a reality check!

The news reporting is so boring. I have never heard such monotonous news anchors in my entire life!

I know Canadians feel smug that their country is not hit with problems that other countries deal with, yes I think it is far safer than most other parts of the world, but I'm just saying I dont find the country particularly 'charming'

(Also I have even been to the Canada Maritimes and found it an extremely backwards and close-minded absolutely boring place)
I beg to differ. Although I've only visited Canada once (BC), it was thrilling to visit a country filled with polite folks who were not interested in how much money I made, my zip code, the type of vehicle I drove, etc. as tends to be the case where I reside. The laid-back culture of Canada is appealing. I look forward to my next trip north.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2022, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Seattle
4,922 posts, read 1,724,142 times
Reputation: 5836
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
I beg to differ. Although I've only visited Canada once (BC), it was thrilling to visit a country filled with polite folks who were not interested in how much money I made, my zip code, the type of vehicle I drove, etc. as tends to be the case where I reside. The laid-back culture of Canada is appealing. I look forward to my next trip north.
Ditto! I’m from Seattle and have been visiting Vancouver for years. We always enjoy the Canadian locals and their friendliness. Seattle has a major problem with our Seattle Freeze…too many quirky, woolier than thou attitudes for my liking. It’s nice to escape the Freeze and most Canadians are delightful!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2022, 07:09 PM
pdw
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
1,901 posts, read 2,514,816 times
Reputation: 1261
Can’t speak for Vancouver but I can see Toronto being “a little boring”. It’s become a very materialistic, antisocial sort of place since the late 90s/early 00s. Kind of the same snooty attitude associated with places like Paris but without the fun stuff. Bylaws are very strict and there’s definitely a NIMBY attitude towards young people having fun. Montreal and Winnipeg on the other hand I found to be very friendly, fun places. Montreal especially has amazing nightlife and culture that’s sadly been sort of lost in Toronto with the financialization of the economy
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top