U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 08:19 AM

13,330 posts, read 13,544,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not sure about it being all about that.

More about the city's numerous rules and the denizens' likelihood of abiding by them. I mean the cops wanted to arrest Madonna during her show once.

Mark Twain or WC Fields said that Toronto had the most boring Sundays in the world.

OK, that is just one day a week but still...
In fairness, these examples are some time ago. The city has changed even since that Madonna thing occurred. Ironically, some in here would say the city allows too many 'provocative' displays ie Gay Pride, Carabana etc so again - it can't win but the city and Police have loosened up much over the last 30 years. You do realize that Madonna thing was over 30 years ago and Mark Twain - well lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
I remember Anthony Bourdain dissing Toronto... saying that the city was "blah" when it comes to architecture, etc.

Meanwhile, when he was in Montreal, it was over the top praise for the culture, ambience, food, architecture.

I think a lot of ppl love dissing TO. Let's be honest, it is pretty much the biggest most important city in Canada when it comes to the economy, etc. and a lot of ppl are tired of hearing about it. Remember Mel Lastman calling in the army (didn't know we had one lol) when Toronto had a massive snowstorm?
Ha yes I remember that on Bourdain. Hey I liked his food commentary and he seemed like a good guy. Tragic what happened but he should've just stuck with food lol. It was one of the very first things he said in the episode like he went out of his way. I'm speculating here, but I think some of it had to do with his close connections with Quebec and Montreal. He made that well known and I can't help but think that is a part of it lol. I mean, T.O does have some pretty bad architecture (as many cities do), but its interlaced with a lot of good stuff that he completely glossed over as if it didn't exist. So i'm not sure that was 'objective' commentary and could have been anchored on his connections.

I remember Francois Legault going out of his way, when Moderna chose Montreal over I think somewhere in Ontario to build the new MRNA facility, to shade Ontario. Like we won the battle so to speak. He was \joking\ but you would not likely see an Ontario Premier or likely a Premier in another part of Canada, shading Quebec if it were reversed. I could be wrong but i don't think so. Dennis Coderre used to do that when he was Mayor of Montreal - little pot shots. Heck you see it in these forums with constant posters in here. Probably one or two characters stirring the pot but can't help to think where this is all coming from. That is a sociological discussion probably in its own right.

But yeah I think you touched on something I have pointed out before in this forum. This sort of dissing on T.O and it doesn't always appear objective. Having said that, this occurs in lots of countries not just Canada so I take it with a grain of salt. Well more now than before lol.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-30-2022 at 08:57 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2022, 09:42 AM

78,772 posts, read 72,819,344 times
I've been missing good Italian food since I've been in Ontario. East Side Mario's is the equivalent of Olive Garden in the States, edible, but that's about the best you can say for it. However, I recently met a friend of my bf's sister who lives in Toronto and claims there is lots of good Italian food there. I hope to get a chance to find out one day.

I've only ever been to the part of Toronto where the hospitals are, but my daughter said she'd like to see Toronto, so perhaps she'll come up one of these days and I can get a weekend off and we can explore the city a bit!

Old 07-30-2022, 09:42 AM

3,415 posts, read 4,755,883 times
Nah. Toronto remains my favorite major Canadian city and I will never find it boring. It is so vast and diverse with a rich history and everything not to mention the TTC. Then there's the Peel Region (Brampton and Mississauga) next door with its own unique charm and specialties.

Canada as a whole is uniquely interesting. From supermarket shopping at Sobeys, Loblaws, and Safeway to obtaining funny money at Scotiabank, CIBC, or BMO, every part of Canada from the SFH filled suburb to the smallest rural town is charming because it is so fun to compare and contrast with the US. If you disagree then I must be a boring person myself.

Old 07-30-2022, 09:51 AM

One more thing i'd like to point out about how expensive R.E, rentals and home ownership is in cities like Toronto and Vancouver, but increasingly we are seeing this in other cities including Montreal which is getting more expensive quite rapidly.

That said - the individuals/families who have lived in their houses or condo's for example don't notice how expensive it is as much as new entrants to the market. People who bought their house 20 years ago for say 300 or 400K and now seeing its values in the high six or even low seven figures aren't as impacted. They still pay the mortgage based on what they bought the house for. Renters that are rent protected are still getting just the yearly what is it 1.8 percent increase due to rent controls.

So my point is, and it is still impactful to the overall market, but those who have lived in the city or benefit from generational family links haven't really changed. Those who are new entrants are having to make concessions that they wouldn't have had to make 20 years ago. They have to move in with a roommate or rent a smaller place than they would like.

People are now renting out their rooms in their apartment for example. This is becoming much more common on renters sites. College students are renting out houses as a group and living together so they can afford it etc etc. Not great but if people really want to live in the city they do make these concessions and are doing. The latest census for our cities from 2016 to 2021 still show robust growth levels. The Greater Golden Horseshoe is now 9.8 million people in 2021 v 2016 (even accounting for the pandemic) where it was 9.3 million. Half a million people have moved to the region anchored by Toronto in just 5 years so people are still making it work.

Old 07-30-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've been missing good Italian food since I've been in Ontario. East Side Mario's is the equivalent of Olive Garden in the States, edible, but that's about the best you can say for it. However, I recently met a friend of my bf's sister who lives in Toronto and claims there is lots of good Italian food there. I hope to get a chance to find out one day.

I've only ever been to the part of Toronto where the hospitals are, but my daughter said she'd like to see Toronto, so perhaps she'll come up one of these days and I can get a weekend off and we can explore the city a bit!
Yes go to little Italy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Italy,_Toronto

Definitely check out independent family run established restaurants which you will find there. You will forget East Side Mario's very quickly

There is also lots of Portuguese stuff in T.O. If you have never had Pastéis de Nata - Portuguese Custard Tarts you have not lived your life fully yet!

https://www.tastetoronto.com/guides/...rts-in-toronto

Old 07-30-2022, 10:28 AM

6,287 posts, read 4,147,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Sunday’s being boring come from church attendance.
I remember driving to Toronto from Montreal to hunt for a house over a 3 or 4 day weekend. On the Sunday, it was really hot. I dropped in a restaurant for lunch and was quite surprised I couldn’t order a cold beer with my meal. No alcohol could be served on Sundays. That changed years later.

Old 07-30-2022, 11:04 AM

13,126 posts, read 11,656,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
PDW - A guy in the world forums in C/D from Australia posted in a Sydney vs Toronto urban comparison thread, that he enjoyed watching this youtubers vids on Toronto. So I thought i'd post one of them here - this one just two weeks ago. Its 52 minutes long and i'm not expecting anyone to watch minutes for minute lol, but if you or anyone glides through the video, I simply don't see egregious displays of wealth or flashiness at all lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez_WJEdYzEg
Thanks for posting that. Definitely no egregious displays of wealth or flashiness, but certainly plenty of displays of good health, physical fitness and comfort of casual dress. What a lot of nice looking people.

On the subject of boring, I think when some visitors describe a place as boring it's because they went there looking for trouble and thrills to stir themselves up with and they couldn't find any.

Old 07-30-2022, 11:42 AM
pdw

1,873 posts, read 2,432,116 times
Quote:
For nightlife, I think it used to be more prominent aka days of Electric Circus in the 90's. Actually T.O was very much known for its nightlife then. I think development has chipped away at some of that. Heck clubs I went to in my younger years are long gone but there are new one's popping up.

If someone has a preference for another city by all means - but just generalizing it as bland and boring I don't think is a fair assessment, but to each their own. That all said, with all these bland labels the city gets, it may just mean more people are pleasantly surprised that when they come and actually walk around the city, and explore the nabe's they may actually be pleasantly surprised. It has its quirks.

I'm not sure if this is really a T.O thing. Things have gotten more expensive but that is sort of a generalized problem in many places. I think what has happened though is how people live in the city has changed. More people living with roommates. More houses partitioned to include more rooms etc. Aside from that, I don't see a big difference in terms of 'flashy' and materialistic. T.O actually meshes haves and have not as you say, probably better than most cities TBH. St Jamestown which is one of the poorest hoods of the city is intermingled with Cabbagetown which has legacy Bay and Gables each worth millions. Lots of places in the city like that and more so as you go outside the core. I mean to a degree, every city has its wealthy areas separated by its middle or lower class areas. Wealthy people just like to live in gated communities. This is nothing that Toronto has ownership of so i'm struggling to get what you're getting at unless you get into more details!?

I've travelled to many places globally and quite a bit more of them are a lot flashier and materialistic than Toronto. Actually, I really wouldn't categorize most Torontonians as flashy tbh. Montrealer's are more flashy imo. Generally they dress better - but that is me.

Southern Ontario as a whole - Flashy and materialistic. Really?? Have you been to London or Windsor lol??
I’m glad you have a different perspective but I think it’s a phenomenon that’s really accelerated in the last 20 years. I don’t mean so much in terms of segregated neighbourhoods and what not. That’s actually a bigger problem in most of Canada than in Ontario. Fusion you mentioned homeownership which I will also agree with. Owning a house in Canada is like buying Apple stock in the 90s. This has created a class of people with access extremely cheap credit and they are definitely using it. I can’t park my car at a random strip mall and not walk by 3, 4 Porsches; a Range Rover and an $110k fully loaded GMC Denali. Local family run businesses, grocery stores, diners and bars are closing down because of crazy rent hikes from the real estate bubble and replaced with luxury retailers, real estate offices, more real estate offices, more real estate offices, and more real estate offices. Our middle class (homeowners) is now rich but still sees themselves as middle class. Our working class is now one rent increase away from being on the brink of homelessness. I think a lot of Toronto’s charm and culture has been lost in the last 20 years, and what’s left is hanging by a thread.
I’m glad you mentioned Electric Circus. That really embodies the spirit of what the city was like 20 years ago. Fun, exotic and a well-kept secret for the most part. Globalization (economic, immigrants have always been a big part of Toronto) has sort of been turning Toronto into a more Singapore or Dubai type city IMO, and if that’s your thing I can see a lot of people considered it fun, but the unique identity the city had with things like Electric Circus makes me miss what it used to be.

Last edited by pdw; 07-30-2022 at 11:52 AM..

Old 07-30-2022, 03:00 PM

3,415 posts, read 4,755,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
I remember driving to Toronto from Montreal to hunt for a house over a 3 or 4 day weekend. On the Sunday, it was really hot. I dropped in a restaurant for lunch and was quite surprised I couldn’t order a cold beer with my meal. No alcohol could be served on Sundays. That changed years later.
For the longest time, alcohol could not be sold at grocery stores and liquor stores on Sundays in Massachusetts either. Until 2014, bars were limited to serving patrons alcohol only after 12:00pm on Sundays. Oh yes and no "happy hours". They were banned in 1984 and have been so since. If I went to Toronto back in the day and discovered Ontario had similar laws, I would not have been surprised. Massachusetts was founded by the Puritans and these laws date back to the old Puritan days. Toronto and what is now the Greater Horseshoe Region was later settled by some of these same individuals from New England who carried on some of the traditions.

Old 07-30-2022, 03:37 PM

78,772 posts, read 72,819,344 times
Quote:
Yes go to little Italy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Italy,_Toronto

Definitely check out independent family run established restaurants which you will find there. You will forget East Side Mario's very quickly

There is also lots of Portuguese stuff in T.O. If you have never had Pastéis de Nata - Portuguese Custard Tarts you have not lived your life fully yet!

https://www.tastetoronto.com/guides/...rts-in-toronto
You know, New Jersey's largest city has long had a Portuguese neighborhood known for its restaurants. I never even thought about Portuguese food being available here until very recently when one of bf's brothers-in-law, a professional photographer, talked about the food at Portugese weddings. My eyes lit up.

Ok, now I need an Italian/Portuguese-food weekend in TO. Thanks for that link! I just gained five pounds reading it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada