Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 03:46 PM

88,128 posts, read 83,978,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Thanks for posting that. Definitely no egregious displays of wealth or flashiness, but certainly plenty of displays of good health, physical fitness and comfort of casual dress. What a lot of nice looking people.

On the subject of boring, I think when some visitors describe a place as boring it's because they went there looking for trouble and thrills to stir themselves up with and they couldn't find any.

Listen I said above I only have been to the hospital section of Toronto, but I wasn't bored. I took the GO Train in, and then the subway. I worked in the public transportation industry all my life, so it was entertainment to me to check out the systems, including the fare system.

Old 07-30-2022, 03:48 PM

14,676 posts, read 14,779,386 times
LOL ..... y'all are making me feel ravenous for Portuguese food now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 06:18 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,476,477 times
Boredom is simply a lack of imagination.

I’m from Scotland, born and bred, and I’ve travelled most of the world. I married a Canadian and so live in BC Canada. I have never found it boring. It is, however, extraordinarily beautiful.

Blessings!

Old 08-02-2022, 12:28 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,737,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Thanks for posting that. Definitely no egregious displays of wealth or flashiness, but certainly plenty of displays of good health, physical fitness and comfort of casual dress. What a lot of nice looking people.

On the subject of boring, I think when some visitors describe a place as boring it's because they went there looking for trouble and thrills to stir themselves up with and they couldn't find any.

Yeah Zoisite I don't know. Toronto is a big city with a pretty long list of things to do attractions to see so hard to be boring but again - not sure what one is 'looking' for to be bored. My idea of fun at this stage of my life are museums, bars, galleries etc so T.O's got those as with many cities.

Old 08-02-2022, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
I’m glad you have a different perspective but I think it’s a phenomenon that’s really accelerated in the last 20 years. I don’t mean so much in terms of segregated neighbourhoods and what not. That’s actually a bigger problem in most of Canada than in Ontario. Fusion you mentioned homeownership which I will also agree with. Owning a house in Canada is like buying Apple stock in the 90s. This has created a class of people with access extremely cheap credit and they are definitely using it. I can’t park my car at a random strip mall and not walk by 3, 4 Porsches; a Range Rover and an $110k fully loaded GMC Denali. Local family run businesses, grocery stores, diners and bars are closing down because of crazy rent hikes from the real estate bubble and replaced with luxury retailers, real estate offices, more real estate offices, more real estate offices, and more real estate offices. Our middle class (homeowners) is now rich but still sees themselves as middle class. Our working class is now one rent increase away from being on the brink of homelessness. I think a lot of Toronto’s charm and culture has been lost in the last 20 years, and what’s left is hanging by a thread.
I’m glad you mentioned Electric Circus. That really embodies the spirit of what the city was like 20 years ago. Fun, exotic and a well-kept secret for the most part. Globalization (economic, immigrants have always been a big part of Toronto) has sort of been turning Toronto into a more Singapore or Dubai type city IMO, and if that’s your thing I can see a lot of people considered it fun, but the unique identity the city had with things like Electric Circus makes me miss what it used to be.
I get what you're saying PDW but I still think T.O's got a lot going for it and isn't as bad as you've generalized. Its still got a lot of fun stuff and there are new bars etc. I blame in part younger one's these days. They just aren't like I was anyway growing up. Look at the music from the early 90's and now look at it. You'd have international DJ's clamoring to Toronto back then. Not as much these days so in part, it could be what you are writing about but more so I just think people aren't as 'outgoing' and fun. Too glued to their phones these days and social media....

Has that impacted T.O more than other cities. Perhaps I don't know but I just wanted to clarify - there's still a lot of good stuff in T.O but sure, it has changed. I'm not really feeling the Dubai thing though - I personally think T.O's got a diverse enough population with legacy roots here to differentiate. Dubai is all about biggest everything - T.O isn't - it just usually has because its in Canada and is its largest more so than it want to be 'like' Dubai. I disagree with that categorization.

There are still raves down at the Cherry beaches on weekends so hey - if you're into that check it out. The Guvernment is gone but the scene has shifted. As I mentioned raves at Cherry and also there is still the usual big club scene on King Street.

https://www.blogto.com/music/2022/04...-toronto-2022/

Old 08-02-2022, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You know, New Jersey's largest city has long had a Portuguese neighborhood known for its restaurants. I never even thought about Portuguese food being available here until very recently when one of bf's brothers-in-law, a professional photographer, talked about the food at Portugese weddings. My eyes lit up.

Ok, now I need an Italian/Portuguese-food weekend in TO. Thanks for that link! I just gained five pounds reading it!
T.O has by far the largest Portuguese ex-pat population in Canada. BTW - if the hospital you're at is on University avenue that is well served by the subway lines and you are well connected from there. You could always sneak in a visit

Old 08-02-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
T.O has by far the largest Portuguese ex-pat population in Canada. BTW - if the hospital you're at is on University avenue that is well served by the subway lines and you are well connected from there. You could always sneak in a visit
This was back in November and December when the bf was at Princess Margaret. He's in a hospital bed now sitting next to me at home. Well, not my home, except temporarily. Hard to sneak away.

But when he was there, I took the GO Train and the subway. I have a Presto card and everything! I found the systems easy to use.

Seriously, my daughter was thinking of coming to meet me in TO for a weekend, and I could leave the bf with his sons. She wants to see the city, and we figured we could bop around for a weekend.

The plan was to visit her in Pittsburgh, but since your IRCC won't send me my dang visa, and I cannot get through to them, I am afraid to leave Canada for fear I can't get back in.

Old 08-02-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
This was back in November and December when the bf was at Princess Margaret. He's in a hospital bed now sitting next to me at home. Well, not my home, except temporarily. Hard to sneak away.

But when he was there, I took the GO Train and the subway. I have a Presto card and everything! I found the systems easy to use.

Seriously, my daughter was thinking of coming to meet me in TO for a weekend, and I could leave the bf with his sons. She wants to see the city, and we figured we could bop around for a weekend.

The plan was to visit her in Pittsburgh, but since your IRCC won't send me my dang visa, and I cannot get through to them, I am afraid to leave Canada for fear I can't get back in.
Ah gotcha! well I was a caregiver 5 years ago for my mom when she was hospitalized for about 3 mths due to cancer complications and infections. So I know how stressful that is! What i'm saying is - if you do get a chance to disconnect than do it, and i'm sure you'd enjoy these places in the city

Old 08-02-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Ah gotcha! well I was a caregiver 5 years ago for my mom when she was hospitalized for about 3 mths due to cancer complications and infections. So I know how stressful that is! What i'm saying is - if you do get a chance to disconnect than do it, and i'm sure you'd enjoy these places in the city
Thanks! Yes, it can be stressful and it is sad, but you adjust and make the best of it. He has terminal cancer and an immune-related side effect of which has crippled him, but the actual cancer hasn't made itself felt yet and doesn't seem to be in as much a hurry to kill him as we initially thought.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-05-2022 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 08-02-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks! Yes, it can be stressful and it is sad, but you adjust and make the best of it. He has terminal cancer and an immune-related side effect of which has crippled him, but the actual cancer hasn't made itself felt yet and doesn't seem to be in as much a hurry to kill him as we initially thought.
OMG i'm so sorry to hear this... I almost lost my mom twice during that period. At one point they called me in because they didn't think she was going to make it. That all said, I hope he defies the odds and stays with you as long and as healthy as possible. You seem very supportive and that makes a HUGE difference and means the world to him!

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-05-2022 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Typo in my post you quoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada