Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2017, 01:13 PM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
I've been to Canada a few times. Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary all have a very different vibe from their US counterparts.

I find the people in general not that friendly, not rude but a little boring and lack charisma. Polite but not at all charming. Those in Vancouver need to get off their high horse & get a reality check!

The news reporting is so boring. I have never heard such monotonous news anchors in my entire life!

I know Canadians feel smug that their country is not hit with problems that other countries deal with, yes I think it is far safer than most other parts of the world, but I'm just saying I dont find the country particularly 'charming'

(Also I have even been to the Canada Maritimes and found it an extremely backwards and close-minded absolutely boring place)
I've heard this said about Canada, by Americans. My take; calm, drama-free life can seem boring. Quiet contentedness can seem boring. A lot of people would kill for that, though.

As for the news anchor crack, you sound like someone raised on sensationalistic sound bites, struggling to adjust to the way news used to be reported, before it was turned into just another consumer product. Amazingly, Canadians have attention spans that go beyond those of a gnat. They don't need their news broken down into childlike spoon-sized entertainment pieces.

[Your deity of choice, here] bless Canada!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 01:27 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,300,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
A rather long answer for someone who said neither Obama or Trump has any economic policies
Well I had to explain how things work in the real world....

Quote:
As for superficial knowledge...nah. However, I would ask you to turn to the millions of your fellow Americans who totally disagree with your take on things.
Who does not agree?? People that know how things really work agree.....the general population (everywhere) is, on average dumb and gullible.......by the way, it seems that America elected someone like Trump over the logical continuation of this very, incredibly successful president....right??

I suggest to you to try to tune out for a while CNN, MSNBC & Co. and visit cities away from few coastal centers.

Try to search on youtube videos about "the ignorance of Obama supporters" or "Hillary supporters" or "Trump supporters" and so on.......you do not believe the amount of general ignorance and dumbness out there.

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-02-2017 at 02:31 PM..

Old 12-02-2017, 04:26 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
I am from a northern US state and have travelled on 4 continents and I don't find Canada that boring. Of course I like canoe tripping, backpacking, maritime culture, and French colonial culture.

Canada is not exotic for an American, but that doesn't mean it is boring either.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
When you consider Canada is lacking in Rush Limbaugh and Alex Jones types clogging the airwaves with hate and conspiracy theories, no News entertainment shows like FOX or MSNBC to twist the facts. Mass murder events are very few and far between , a complete lack of interest in guns and military related issues, nowhere near the obsession with politics that is prevalent in the US to the point where conservatives now consider liberals an enemy of the state,, and we dont have a lunatic as head of state. yeah i guess Canada can come off as a bit boring to some American visitors.
For those visitors that do come up and have a good time here in Canada i'm sure you can appreciate the difference,ya'll come back now.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:25 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When you consider Canada is lacking in Rush Limbaugh and Alex Jones types clogging the airwaves with hate and conspiracy theories, no News entertainment shows like FOX or MSNBC to twist the facts. Mass murder events are very few and far between , a complete lack of interest in guns and military related issues, nowhere near the obsession with politics that is prevalent in the US to the point where conservatives now consider liberals an enemy of the state,, and we dont have a lunatic as head of state. yeah i guess Canada can come off as a bit boring to some American visitors.
For those visitors that do come up and have a good time here in Canada i'm sure you can appreciate the difference,ya'll come back now.
I follow Canadian news regularly. There may not be as intense or extreme a political point of view but as in anywhere in the world, politics definitely exist in Canada. Just this past week for instance, the Parti Quebecois in Quebec insisted on the passing of a motion in the Quebec Parliament prohibiting the use of the "bonjour/hi" combination greeting by Montreal businesses. Granted it's just a motion that's un-enforeceable - even the Quebec Premier thought it was ridiculous- but one can tell the group that started the motion is aiming to score political points. Then there's the recent prohibition of public employees in that same province from concealing their faces which touched off immense protests from the Muslim minority, claiming it was racist and discriminatory.

Elsewhere in Vancouver, B.C., word is out that the government is thinking of banning foreigners from purchasing property within the city in an attempt to allow more locals and Canadian nationals to purchase property. Vancouver Foreign Buyer Ban? City May Limit Housing Market To Local Residents. New Zealand has apparently done this already in an attempt to cool their real estate market. Could Vancouver and B.C. really follow suit?

No, Canadian politics are not boring at all.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:50 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I follow Canadian news regularly. There may not be as intense or extreme a political point of view but as in anywhere in the world, politics definitely exist in Canada. Just this past week for instance, the Parti Quebecois in Quebec insisted on the passing of a motion in the Quebec Parliament prohibiting the use of the "bonjour/hi" combination greeting by Montreal businesses. Granted it's just a motion that's un-enforeceable - even the Quebec Premier thought it was ridiculous- but one can tell the group that started the motion is aiming to score political points. Then there's the recent prohibition of public employees in that same province from concealing their faces which touched off immense protests from the Muslim minority, claiming it was racist and discriminatory.

Elsewhere in Vancouver, B.C., word is out that the government is thinking of banning foreigners from purchasing property within the city in an attempt to allow more locals and Canadian nationals to purchase property. Vancouver Foreign Buyer Ban? City May Limit Housing Market To Local Residents. New Zealand has apparently done this already in an attempt to cool their real estate market. Could Vancouver and B.C. really follow suit?

No, Canadian politics are not boring at all.
Comparing those issues to the clutterfleeping morass of today's American political scene has simply lent more credibility to Jambo's assessment.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:09 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
The Canadian media does not have the same level of sensationalism as the US Media. I am not sure how that could be viewed as anything but a positive. The talking head bullsh*t has killed the US Media outside of a few reliable print new sources and on air personalities.

With that said the Canadian media is terrible when it comes to covering International politics and current events. Equally as bad as the US Media (even though certain print publications have a higher standard than their counterparts in Canada). The lack of basic knowledge when it comes to the International community is almost laughable. So while I appreciate the coverage in Canada when it comes to domestic issues, they lose me once they start stepping outside their border. Same with the US.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:14 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Talk is cheap I know, but I can tell you that having just spent a week in California, I've never heard so much discontent about the state of the US. Without exception, every person who found out I was from Canada, said they WISH they could move. The VAST majority had been to Canada, Vancouver, Whistler, Toronto, Montreal the Maritimes etc, even numerous times.

I was surprised on how much these Americans seemed to know about Canada....Trudeau may be the reason since he gets more coverage in the US that Harper did. Fluff pieces or not.

One guy who I saw over several days, wore a different Canadian themed T-shirt. I assumed he was Canadian...he wasn't. When I asked why the shirts, his response was...it makes me feel better.
Sorry Nat, but this made me LOL. You seem to meet to most pathetic weirdos on earth.

I am not doubting your story, but man what kind of people say stuff like this is real life?

Old 12-03-2017, 08:48 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
With that said the Canadian media is terrible when it comes to covering International politics and current events. .
What examples bring you to this conclusion?

Old 12-03-2017, 09:00 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Sorry Nat, but this made me LOL. You seem to meet to most pathetic weirdos on earth.

I am not doubting your story, but man what kind of people say stuff like this is real life?
At a ten to one pop. ratio, there are ten times more "pathetic weirdos" to meet and probably at a minimum, ten times the opportunities to meet them, even without adding in the fact more Canadians travel south than their counterparts coming north...er....wouldn't there be?

We could, I suppose, debate the relative saturation rates of "pathetic weirdos" but I think we all agree as to how that would turn out.

Last edited by BruSan; 12-03-2017 at 09:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada